StayForLong
Destinia.com
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Actually really loved our stay here in Koh Kong - didn't really know what to expect but was better than we ever imagined. The staff here are really friendly but some struggle with English, the rooms are great with big comfy bed and balcony overlooking the river but problem with drains and often bad cabbage smell. Water also bit hit and miss during our stay and for 24 hrs none at all ! Breakfasts should be better for the price of the rooms - expect fresh fruit and juices, and decent coffee but had to pay extra for these. Great gin and tonics though ! Could be a really good hotel if these problems sorted.

Date of stay: December 2012
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Koh Kong city is a pretty small place, serving as a base for short-term excursions or going on to Thailand, about 8 kms away. The Koh Kong Bay Hotel is a simple place located on the river. The rooms are basicly furnished but comfortable and have small balconies. There is a pleasant restaurant overlooking the river, and a decent size pool. The friendly staff at reception speak adequate English, but the restaurant staff speak almost none. English, French and Asian breakfasts are served. I ordered a second cup of coffee and had to pay for it. The choice of hotels in the city is very limited. I would certainly be glad to stay at this hotel again. There is another hotel next door, but the restaurant blasts out loud music (karaoke?) in the evenings.
Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: The hotel can arrange excursions of one day or more. Down the street are two tour operators, side by side, doing the same tours. We chose a 1-day tour to an island with snorkling (not many fish to see) , a freshly-cooked lunch and some other sights. It was mildly interesting. Just getting to the island and back took about 5 hours by boat. If you go there, you'd better cover yourself with DEET, or the sand flies witl absolutely devour you. We also went by tuk-tuk to the waterfall which is about 20 kms back on the main road. It is more of a big cascade than a waterfall.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have lived in more than six hotels around Cambodia, and had a very good general impression on the country's hospitality industry. But this hotel is simply unbearable.
At the present moment (11 pm) I'm sitting on the balcony of my room, not for the sea view, but to avoid the horrible smell of insecticide in the room. The hotel staff just came to apply the insecticide, as there were ANTS in every corner of the room - all over the bed, in the closet, and let alone the restroom - the KINGDOM OF ANTS.
I booked the hotel for the riverfront view and reasonable price. The elegantly decorated and seemingly tidy room also impressed me at the first sight. But the hotel's facilities are far from clean, and I doubt the staff were trained at all before they worked here.
Staff - They are very friendly, but don't seem to reach the basic professional standard of the industry. I asked for a kettle, which should be in the room before we check in, but it was not delivered two hours later - the receptionist simply forgot about it.
Also the staff put up our extra bed AFTER we moved in, with a WET SHEET.
We have to ask for everything including towels, toothbrushes, etc. There is not enough supply for three people even in the family room, which is supposed to accommodate four.
Laundry - they delivered someone else' laundry to our room. After I returned the bag, they gave us ours, still including a piece of other people's clothes. Moreover, the trousers were not ironed at all - they were so creased after the washing and we cannot really wear them. The laundry in this hotel takes $2 per kilo, which is very expensive on the local standard. But even the cheapest local laundry shop irons clothes.
View - the "garden view" actually means street and parking lot view. and the family room is "garden view" room (this is not included in the booking info on agoda). That's why we changed into a "sea view" room with an extra bed on the second day.
Water - small problem compared to the ants and other things. the hot water in the family room (No. 2) is not really hot. and in the sea view room (No. 15), the temperature is too changeable and slow to drain.
I looked forward to my Koh Kong trip before this, but now I just cannot wait to go back to my home in China. I feel really sorry to take my parents to this place, as my mother is sick of ants. And obviously we didn't expect to pay a premium price (local standard) to live in a horrible place like this.

Room tip: Don't choose family or super deluxe room if you'd like a riverfront review. the "garden view" is actually street and parking lot review.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank TravellingEvelyn
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Clean, modern rooms with comfy king-size beds. Some rooms have river view with balcony (worth the extra $$$).
This is the most expensive place to stay in Koh Kong (although in low season it is slightly cheaper).
***Beware free breakfasts which consist of a couple of fruits and a slice of toast. Tea and coffee are billed as extras, which we only discovered when we checked out. Very cheeky of them to advertise "breakfast included" and then bill you $1.50 per coffee...***

Room tip: Go for a room with river view.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This is my first time visiting Koh Kong and my aunt friend book this hotel for my family. We spent three days there where it is a great experience. The hotel room design and other is amazing but the bath room is poor with many problem. The food is incredible especially with the seaside bar. All in all, I love it there, i am sure to stay there again when I go to Koh Kong next time.

Date of stay: April 2012