“A peaceful and interesting experience”

4 Rivers Floating Lodge
Ranked #1 of 26 Koh Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of a tour of Cambodia and thought it was a wonderful experience.. The place is really so unusual and in such a peaceful setting. The food is good and the people are very friendly and helpful and the tents are very comfortable.
The only issues we had were with the swarms of tiny black flies which can get through the fly screens, so when you put your lights on at night you need to let down and zip up the rain screens to stop them getting in, which does make it hot in April. The other issue was with the waterfall boat trip - be aware that this is really a visit to a waterfall to go swimming, rather than a day out enjoying the scenery from a boat. We hadn't realised this when we booked, but decided to just go along with it and said we were happy to just sit in the shade while the other people on the boat swam, however we found the guide to be very rude when he kept asking us (several times) if the was something wrong with us that we wouldn't swim!
Overall I would recommend this as something very different and the chance to see the beautiful Cambodian countryside after a busy time in Phnom Penh / Siem Reap.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diana014
Annapawlik, Owner at 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Diana014,

Thank you for your kind words in this review...

We have managed to change the balcony lights and replaced them with more subtle lighting, so that there would still be lights to guide you to your tent in the evening, when you go back from the restaurant, without inviting the insects in (with bright lights).

These insects are part of the ecosystem, and we continuously find ways to lessen their attraction to the guest's room. This is why we ensure that upon arrival, guests are informed to zip close the tent screens after the sun has set, and to make sure that the tent curtains are closed when lights in the room are turned on.

I am deeply sorry if you felt bad about how the tour guides approached you. I would have to be honest that the resort managers are giving follow up training to each and every resort crew, as they still have sooooooooo much to learn. They are a big part of the hotel's efforts to remain sustainable. Educating them in being a tour guide, and ensuring customer satisfaction is of utmost importance, because in a way, we are able to educate them as well on how to preserve our surroundings. Thank you for telling us about this, and I will find a way to improve this behavior of our tour guides. They are very enthusiastic, and i am certain that they will be more than willing to receive your feedback.

Once again, Diana. Thank you very much for writing this review.

We hope to be of service to you again in the future!

Best regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our 2 day stay at 4Rivers will definitely stay in my memory for a long time to come. We arrived to a warm welcome, drinks in our tent, and the soft perfume from an oil burner. From the first moment, of being met at the bridge, to being farewelled back at the bridge, everything was highly professional. The location of the lodge was beautiful, enhanced by being able to watch local people going about their daily business on the river. Being able to swim from our deck, and paddle around in a kayak, were highlights. We made good use of the library available, spending much time reading in this peaceful setting. If only our visit could have extended for one more day.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi HelenRose,

If i could only write a review about you and G... I just love your energy and high spirits...which i saw each day, for 2 days, while you were with us at 4Rivers!

I have shared this review with our resort team, as a morale booster early in the morning!!!

We are super happy that you had a great time with us... hope you enjoyed Sihanoukville as well...

We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you and G at 4Rivers again in the near future!

Wishing you more happy years in teaching,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is my 3rd time coming over and I still can't get over the peace and beauty I experience every time I am here. I am a career-woman, married and has a 7-yr old hyperactive son. So every time I want to break free and recharge from all the busyness of my life, 4 Rivers had always been my first option. A few hours and cheap travel from Saigon where I worked.
I have met the new resort managers, Jill and Allan and they were tremendously accommodating and funny. I have always pampered myself with food and I like it when they warned me to make my order in advance "before I even get hungry" as they want to serve the food fresh and hot. This should be expected in a 5-start accommodation.
As expected, the weather is hot, that is why they made it sure to have cold towels available for us plus you can dip and splash into the river anytime you want.
I am a bit surprise not being connected online, but it is of my advantage so I can appreciate more the environment and nature and get away from cyber space for 3 days :)

4 Rivers had always been my sweet escape in Cambodia and I will never get tired of coming over to relax, to rest and to regain new strength

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank almiratothemax
Annapawlik, Owner at 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear almiratothemax,

Our 4Rivers team has been revived by your beautiful review and generous descriptions of your lovely stay with us!

We feel fantastic knowing that the guests who come to get to know 4Rivers, its location and its people, are having a wonderful glamping experience. I would have to remark that it certainly is of utmost importance for the guests to know that staying at 4Rivers still is...CAMPING...with a bit more comfort...which should just come as a very nice surprise!

We would be very happy to welcome you and your family over and over and over and over...again!!!

Gazillion thanks for your review!

Best regards,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The 4 Rivers is set in a beautiful, peaceful location. The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. The "luxury styled tents/lodges" are well furnished. We enjoyed a gently boat trip along the river to the waterfalls for a swim in cool water. The downside is the rooms are cooled by fans (nowhere near as efficient as air con) and the lights in the evenings encouraged bugs in and out of the room. If you are a happy camper I am sure you will love 4 Rivers but we found 3 days too long, 2 days would have been perfect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear lilibet3,

I would have to admit, this review has hit us hard...

Mentioning that if the stay were only for 2 days, it would have been perfect... and rating 4Rivers poor...because it was a 3-day stay...as decided by you (with sufficient information on the website on what the accommodation could offer)...

Our team has always been willing to refund to guests a night's cancellation, once the guest has realized that 4Rivers is not the place for them.

Our goal is to showcase this beautiful part of Cambodia, while engaging its people in the efforts to preserve its surroundings, thereby setting a good example by enjoying nature at its pure, amazingly simple form, thus ENSURING minimum impact in our location. Minimizing the impact to this spectacular setting means lowering energy consumption.

Using an aircon, with its huge requirement in energy, is definitely contrary to what 4Rivers stands for.

We can only wish you better explorations of the places that you'll visit...even before getting there...so you could have fun journeys ahead!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

A girlfriend and i decided that we have to visit this place after researching online and seeing the captivating sunset photos that was taken. It was a crazy 4.5 hours car ride to get this place and by the time we reached the reception, we were already exhausted! After a quick wash up, we were immediately smitten by the amazing view of the river! The boat ride to the lodge was really a nice and refreshing one, where you simply soaked up all the mother's nature energy and in awe the magnificent landscape.

The best part of staying at this ecolodge is you can just simply jump into the water literally outside your doorstep! it was really a pity that we could only stay for a night! We went for the sunset cruise which was one of the major highlights of my Cambodia Trip! The sunset view was really spectacular and definitely worth the 4.5 hours ride there! The tour guide took us to the tiny small little island for photo taking and just watch the sunset with our chilled bottle of sparkling wine. Really beautiful way to end off a lovely evening. The tour guide was really friendly and accommodating, trying his best to make us feel comfortable and shared with interesting stories about the river.

Overall, I would say that I really enjoyed my stay with the 4 Rivers Floating Lodge. Fantastic friendly and well-trained staff that pay attention to your needs and making your stay extra comfortable!

Room Tip: if you prefer a more quieter room, choose the far corner ones.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jingyue Z,

Wow! What a review title!!! Thank you so very much for writing this review!

I cannot agree more, about how beautiful and magnificent the horizon could be when the sun is setting behind those mountains! Nature has its way of making us realize that simplicity is beauty...no fireworks, no fancy articifial enhancements...just the sun, the skies, and the mountains...especially if the weather cooperates.

Having just stayed ONE night, and feeling compelled to write about your experience with us at 4Rivers...our team cannot thank you enough Jingyue Z!!!

Hope we could be of service to you again in the near future!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We visited here in October 2011 when they were doing construction work on a nearby island as part of their expansion. We stayed for 2 nights and on the first day, we did the waterfall tour which was lovely. It was raining on the 2nd day which left us housebound as there wasn't much else to do. That was a shame as being stuck in your room all day is not so ideal.

The real problem, however, was that they were doing construction work on an island opposite our room and we had full on noise from the generators and drilling. I guess it is hard to carry out building work while you have paying guests, but we were not given any warning. It was only when it started that we realised we would have to put up with it all day. We were also in the room closest to the construction work. When we arrived it was not full so we couldn't work out why were given that room. When the work started, we asked to move and were told they were full that night.

My issue is that we weren't warned about it and they put us in the nearest room. Despite that, however, the manager was apologetic and gave us a discount on our meal which was appreciated. The setting is lovely (without construction noise). We travelled almost 8 hours from Siem Reap to get there and felt it wasn't worth it in the end.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear L_HarveySydney,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for this unfortunate experience at 4Rivers.

We were fortunate, however, to find a new pair of very customer-oriented resort manager and recreation manager. There was certainly a way of making the construction stop, to ensure our guests do not get disturbed by the building activities. The manager on site just needed to recognize that.

I sincerely hope you could visit us again...our new, highly efficient managers, would definitely strive to give you that unique, remarkable glamping experience!

Hoping to be of service to you again in the near future,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is an amazing place to visit, the food is very good, the dinner menu changes every day and everything is freshly cooked and I think good value for $19.00. We did the waterfall tour but the night before there had been a lot of rain so we could not swim as you could not see the rocks,the hotel did not charge us for the tour even though we had lunch and drinks by the waterfall, which I thought was a very good gesture.
My only small criticism is the lack of shade by the rooms, which hopefully can be done in the future. There is no air conditioning at all,maybe when the solar panels are working a common room with air con can be set up.

Room Tip: Stay for 3 or 4 nights to enjoy all the activities.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter361

Dear Peter361,

You are an avid Tripadvisor review contributor, thank you so much for your kind words!

Our whole team here at 4Rivers is extremely happy to receive your appreciation of the experience we have given you.

Yes, the solar panels have been in place since a few weeks now, and I am particularly working with the engineering team to find a solution about the heat. A cooled common room is one of the options. It would probably take a month or two to test the solar panels' efficiency, then after, to determine if it can allow such a solution.

But time flies soooo fast...and next month is the rainy season! We love the rain at 4Rivers...coz there's a cool breeze, but the river is warm!

We'd love to welcome you back Peter361!!!

Wishing you more exciting and wonderful sojourns ahead,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Koh Kong
#2 of 3 in Koh Rong
Koh Kong Resort
Koh Kong Resort
#3 of 3 in Koh Kong

Been to 4 Rivers Floating Lodge? Share your experiences!