“MS Polarlys - great way to see N Norway”
Review of Hurtigrutens Hus

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stokmarknes
Hurtigrutens Hus
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Stokmarknes
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am not a good sailor, so cautious but we went Tromso to Kirkenes and return and being between islands it was callm and no problem. Great to travel between the snow covered islands. Ship is spotless, luxurious and everything very meticulous, detailed daily itineraries, and we stop at many lovely little places on the way. When docked long enough we did some shore excursions eg to North Cape, amazing how they got us through over iced roads, with snow plough convoy. Food was well displayed and good variety, not just fish, and if a special dish was requested it was provided. We had an excellent jovial waitress, Mona, opposite that name implies! Slip on studs, we bought at North Cape strongly recommended, brilliant on the snow and ice, few pavements cleared, and easy to take off, to not damage the many spotless wooden floors. Brilliant time, even though the lovely day weather became cloud at night, so no Northern Lights

Room Tip: Deck 3, centre is good to minimise motion if not a good sailor. Close to all facilities and good win...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hurtigrutens Hus

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We booked a round trip on hurtigruten on the Nordnorge, we had an inside cabin which I must admit is small but trust me you don't spend your time in the cabin. We spent most of our time on the observation deck but mainly at the back by the jacuzzis as it was quieter. The views are spectacular throughout the whole journey. We were full board and the food was plentiful with a wide variety catering to most tastes. Drinks are expensive but that's Norway, we did buy the tea/coffee deal which was well worth it. We wee lucky to see the lights and would love to return in the summer. It was cold so take plenty of layers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OodlesofNoodles85
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We bought our holiday as a full board package including flights at full price and should we have received some of the discounts some of our fellow passengers received maybe we would have felt differently to all of the hidden charges but I think this is a fair and balanced review of our overall experience.

We paid for larger outside cabins and they were very well designed for the space and clean on arrival. Though I have to say that the bed sheets were not changed for the 6 nights of our cruise and the floor wasn't vacuumed either.

The food was buffet for breakfast and lunch and there was excellent quality and the choice very good; guests could also return multiple times. The evening meal was a set meal but overall the food was delicious. The biggest and potentially most serious issue we had about the food was, at the time of booking we had clearly stated that 2 people in the party had a serious food allergy to shellfish; this is in all our booking documentation. As these allergies are so serious that have resulted in hospitalisation we had the sense to check with the restaurant manager at our first meal. (As an aside the Manager was a Norwegian version of Peggy Mount with a less sunny disposition). Our allergies hadn't been recorded and she was less than apologetic for this mistake on the part of Hurtigruten. Though I would like to single out our waitress Randi who Hurtigruten should be using as their poster girl. She was an absolute delight and couldn't have done more to try and make us feel more welcome.

Hidden Extras part one: When we booked we were aware this was full board and not all inclusive however, there was a large amount of hidden extras which we in the UK would refer to as basics. At no meal were we provided with water unless we paid extra and was very expensive, this felt massively petty and personally rankered. Especially as we purchase the "wine package" at over £230 for 1 bottle each night for 6 nights which also included water. On our 1st night I asked for a 2nd carafe of water as was billed for it. Onboard you could buy a special Hurtigruten mug which would entitle you to unlimited tea and coffee, at a price of £32. Yes, you did read that right £32 and no I haven't put the decimal point in the wrong place. Now, for those of you thinking well I spend roughly that on posh coffee and chai tea lattes in a week let me explain exactly what your £32 gives you. It allows you to go to a hot water machine, select a teabag or take a spoonful of Nescafe Gold Blend from the jar and make your own, yes that's right make your own beverage. Should you take milk there was always a supply of those little cartons with UHT that could survive a nuclear holocaust. As for the mug I'm not sure what the paint was on the outside but I did have an adverse reaction to it.

Hidden Extras part two: Excursions. As part of your trip you can purchase daily excursions these range from dog sledding to guided city tours. None of these are cheap and some of the walking city tours were in excess of £30 per person which felt a rip off. Also on board there were several activities you could join in all at an extra charge. In totality all these hidden extras made you feel as if you were being rinsed and knocked a whole star off my rating. Though the activities director Mette was an absolute delight.

When booking we thought it was quite a romantic idea to be on a working boat servicing small towns as well as working as a cruise ship. In reality this was a major annoyance. Our cabins were on the starboard side of the ship near the cargo/car deck doors. Every time the ship stopped these were opened which caused an intrusive amount of noise and vibration. If you think this point is petty I mentioning it for the following reason. The shipped stopped every night at least 3 if not 4 times a night and it is impossible to sleep through. Overall I was averaging less than 4 hours broken sleep a night. The working vessel also meant that locals often use it was a meeting place with a crèche. I'm sure this probably isn't an issue but a large portion of the communal areas were out of bounds as work being conducted during our voyage. Hurtigruten were also refurbishing several cabins during our trip which meant resting in our cabin during the day wasn't possible either.

As for the towns the ship stops at overall you won’t think that Norway was in the top 5 riches countries in the world was most looked very down at heel but I’m sure these aren’t representative of all of Norway.

Overall we did have an enjoyable holiday but I would have liked to have understood more about the reality of what a Hurtigruten experience really involved. I have noticed that others have also commented on the friendliness of the staff, our personal experience was one of extremes; Randi and Mette were brilliant however, others were downright rude and 1 woman looked less than hygienic.

Room Tip: Request a cabin on the port side of the boat, the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
24  Thank Sally-Ann B
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Well me and my wife went on the boat SS NORDKAPP
The service was very low class
The people that worked on the boat was so rude and lack of service for the money it cost u are getting ripped off
They served fish for breakfast lunch and dinner what was not eaten they served it up for the Next meal
So just think about going on this boat
Plus floor 3 stunk like a fish shop every day
They did not change the sheet at all in 6 days
I have traveled all over the world and I will never go back to Norway they are o mob of rude people so glad to leave

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Jasonradley13
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I travelled by Ms Richard from Bergen to Alesund, it was my first time in my life to ride such ship and for that ling of time for 14 hours, so i expected a Titanic trip something like the movie.. but from the first moment i board on that ship i was welcomed coldly by the reception staff who was an willing to attend me with lack of smile although as per my experience the norwegian people are very friendly and smiley. i told my self don't you jump to conclusion and go ahead and enjoy the trip. Second thing the staff didn't offer any welcoming letter nether gives me the trip plan or proposal fact sheet just help yourself and search for it and pick it from the info desk.
Most of the guest are elderly people and the ship missed the spirit of youthness on it as soon as they ride the ship everyone of them went to their cabins and found myself alone. the food was not that waw i can say it's just OK and the ship is not hat new.
The cost of the trip is very high with lack of service and spirit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank AL-Aidaroos
Reviewed September 1, 2013

There are many ships in the Hurtigruten fleet. Some of the ships are old and are coal fired while others are newer with better amenities. We were on a coal fired ship and had soot blown on our clothes. Check out the ship before you make your reservation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank NorwayAug2013
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Travelled as a 3-person family (incl 6 year old daughter) in a cabin and found the experience outstanding. He facilities/amenities were very good, as was the food and overall service. Likewise, all associated excursions were very good, including the new whale watching excursion. Staff were friendly and highly professional, and it was run very efficiently. We had a fantastic time!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank MDDododuck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stokmarknes
Vesteralen Kysthotell
#2 of 5 in Svolvaer
Scandic Svolvaer
Scandic Svolvaer
#4 of 5 in Svolvaer

Been to Hurtigrutens Hus? Share your experiences!