“Out with the Old”
Review of Hurtigrutens Hus

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stokmarknes
Hurtigrutens Hus
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Stokmarknes
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Out with the Old”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our main purpose was to see the Northern lights. Unknown to me it was on the octogenarian's bucket list so we had half a boat of old people. We had a cabin which was great and comfy and overall the whole ship is maintained well. At the buffet if you didn't get in before the stampede you missed the popular dishes. They have a free coffee service if you buy a mug so that's what we did. It tasted like hot dishwater. Luckily I took sachets of cappuchino etc so that worked really well. We did see the Northern Lights so I am very pleased about ticking that box.
Quite a few of the outings were designed with elderly in mind so no great thrills there. My children did not accompany me but worked out well as they would've been bored out of their minds since there are no activities for children on board.
I know Hurtigruten claims it is a working ship not an entertainment ship - but I feel they are charging entertainment ship prices so up the entertainment A LOT!

Room Tip: We paid a bit extra and went for a cabin - because it was dark so much of the time we slept a huge a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bcutler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We just did a cruise on the Hurtigruten vessel named LOFOTEN from Alesund to Bergen . This is an old rickety liner from the 60's with no semblence to a luxury cruise ! There is nothing for entertainment . No wifi on board. The cabins were old and tiny ! Its not kids friendly ! Absolutely terrible experience ! I would not recommend a voyage on this cruise!

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Viswakumar A
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had an 11 days, Bergen - Kirkenes - Trondheim cruise with MS Vesteralen between 11 to 21 June. To be able to transmit sufficient and helpfull information to future travellers, I would like to split the review into 3 distinct categories :

a) Breakfast and lunch was served as a buffet and really were fantastic ! Staff is friendly, cabins are well designed with acceptable confort level. Although up to here everything deserves 5 stars, the 3 course set-menu dinner brings it down to 4 : The portions were so small that you would believe as if you were in a weight loosing camp with a strict upper limit of 800 kcal/day !

b) As Hurtigruten is a regular service for Norwegians, it's main duty is the link between coastal aglomerations, therefore, you may expect, up to half an hour of delay for the arrival to the next quay. That means, no free time to visit the village if docking period is one hour or less. Timing deserves 3 stars.

c) We joined to 5 excursions : Geiranger Fjord with Trollstigen Pass was satisfactory, Viking Feast was too novice, In the Taste of Lapland you have just two Samis narrating their culture and history, A taste of Vesteralen was OK but, the last one, Russian border at Kirkenes was absolutely meaningless ; You cross an ordinary wood and at the end you see two flags side by side ! (Russian and Norwegian). Given the extremely high prices, I wouldn't give more than 2 stars for excursions.

As a conclusion, 3 stars rating is the average of this 3 categories. Anyhow, if you want to see the maximum of this breathtaking landscape, you don't have any other option. I would recommend to be a bit fussy in selecting optional excursions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Turkishfamily
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've just returned from a trip on the Richard With, from Kirkenes to Bergen. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the organisation on the ship was amazing. It wasn't as cold as I'd expected, but I agree with all the comments about wrapping up well. The cabin was very comfortable, and the shower was excellent. There was lots of food available, and it was very good. I did see the Northern Lights briefly, which was magical. Several other people saw them at 2 and 3 am. I'm afraid I couldn't stay awake that long!
The main disappointment was that the (very expensive) snow-mobile trip through the night was cancelled due to the weather. I had been really looking forward to that, and it seemed that that was the only occasion when I could meet the Sami people. They refunded my money in cash, and I bought a necklace instead. Not the same though!
I loved the whole trip. Walking around the villages in the snow was lovely, a very different experience to this country. I would strongly recommend everyone to go. It was an expensive trip to an expensive country, but it was worth every penny. I love Norway, and will certainly go again.

Room Tip: A room on the top decks is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Pam K
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

we had 3 days on the cruise from Tromso to Trondheim. Very helpful staff, very efficient, we were on level 5 that worked well for being close to the hot tub at the back and the 4th level for eating and wi fi. Amazing that the wi fi worked bearing in mind we were in the middle of no where most of the time. breakfast was plentiful and tasty, there were options for soya, non dairy and gluten free. beds were small but comfy, the shower was small but hot water and under floor heating. very pleasant way of travelling and watching the world go bye and best of all we saw the northern lights on our last night. amazing and wonderful watching nature at its best. we had a joyful experience with a saxophonist joining us and playing for us when we got on and off the ship. It was a very peaceful, happy experience and when we crossed the arctic circle we lined up for a spoonful of omega 3 oils, and kept the spoon!!!!

Room Tip: if in search of the lights ask to be on the northern facing side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank debutaunt
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked this cruise with no expectation. Just using it as a mode of transport to get us from place to place. We were surprised that it was so huge. We had a lovely time onboard, though we did not get to see the northern lights from the cruise.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank MrGoh
sussex
Reviewed March 13, 2013

travelled on MS Vesteralen last year for a ten day round trip through the fjords. Everything was fantastic. Except for the seasickness, they have pills on board to buy in the cafe; all sorted.
This ferry boat is a great way to travel the fjords. We were lucky enough to see the northern lights over three nights to varying degrees. Dont believe all you see on tv, this is time lapse filming.
The staff/crew are all very welcoming and helpfull.
food is superb, never eaten so much salmon. there is lots of variety. It is true wine etc. is very expensive. This is norways way of dealing with severe drink problems. Take a wine box. So many photo opportunities. Now I would to see the midnight sun on a summer trip!
you should expect a little sleep disturbance these are also supply boats and ferries for norwegians.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank latelytraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stokmarknes
Vesteralen Kysthotell
#1 of 6 in Svolvaer
Scandic Svolvaer
Scandic Svolvaer
#4 of 6 in Svolvaer

Been to Hurtigrutens Hus? Share your experiences!