Review Highlights
Fabulous!

My daughter and I had not ridden for at least 15 years but both of us have wanted to ride together... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
veryexcited45
Bath, United Kingdom
via mobile
Horsetrails

Friendly operators,call prior. Horses well looked after, beautiful surrounds. Caters to all levels... read more

Reviewed December 1, 2018
Elfin10e

All reviews wonderful ride horse trek experienced riders amazing experience wonderful horses beginners farmland bush instructions scenery track nz
Reviewed December 16, 2017

We're sort of experienced riders. It's been a while but we've been on a few pony rides. Unfortunately, "trail rides" sometimes becomes lazy, loping slogs in a conga line of slow horses. This is not one of those trips. Rangihau has big beautiful (and sometimes spirited) horses that are treated well. Heck the get to roam a huge padduck on the hill above the ranch. Our ride was just my wife and I and we couldn't have been happier. We took a nice 1 1/2 ride through the lower fields then into the hills above the ranch. Very little of the ride was dead flat and you needed to pay attention. But that was fine with us. We wanted a ride not a Disney trip. The best part was when we went to the highest ridge. The views were amazing the trail was a nice meandering track between the grass and the bush.

Date of experience: December 2017
Tessa111Whitianga, Owner at Rangihau Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2017

Thanks so much for coming and really pleased that you had a good ride. Safe travels for the rest of your holiday

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful scenery and wonderful horses. The guides were brilliant and we had a fabulous time. Would definitely recommend a trip here for some off road adventures and wonderfully hidden scenic spots.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Alison B
Tessa111Whitianga, Owner at Rangihau Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2017

Thankyou, glad you had such an awesome ride...so did we! All the best and safe trip home

Reviewed June 22, 2017

My two sons (8 & 10) and I were super excited to be going on a horse trek while we were up in Whitianga, especially given all of the amazing reviews below. Unfortunately our trek was quite awful, and my attempt to discuss my complaints with the owner was met with disdain. I've included her comments in response to my email about my safety concerns below.
The weather had been rainy so our trek was cancelled the first day, and rebooked the day after. Unfortunately the terrain was still very wet underfoot, and my horse lost her footing several times, and then slipped completely over onto the ground, at which point i fell off, and ended up lying on the ground with my foot caught in the stirrup with the horse already upright trying to get a grip on the slippery uphill slope. I was terrified, trying to get my foot untangled before i ended up wearing a hoof. When I mentioned it to the owner after the trek (she didn't accompany us, a young girl and a tourist who had apparently only been in the country a short time were our guides) she brushed it off asking me why i didn't stay on. When I questioned both the safety of riding in those conditions given my fall - and her comment to me afterwards - her replies were that i 'thought' i was going to end up under my horse's feet but you didn't.
and When I joined you on the ride and said 'you should have stayed on' I'm sorry I was trying to be funny and obviously I wasn't.
My sons struggled to manage their horses (i had told them that the boys had done a couple of holiday programme days at local riding schools but don't ride regularly), with my elder son's horse taking him into a pond up to my son's mid calf and having a splash round before the guide hopped off her horse and went in and dragged him out (it was 14 deg so not tropical). Apparently The fact that he went into the pond should not have been an issue for you. This is a place where we usually have alot of fun,both horses and riders, and a chance to get some good photos. Both my children ended up being led for the rest of the ride as they did not feel like they could ride unassisted, and I was in terror of my horse falling again, so it was high anxiety all round. The owner had an explanation for all of my other complaints about safety, trivialising them. She finished with a note that Animal behaviour, your anxiety, winter riding...all not a good combination. Maybe stick to where you have been riding before as it must be more suitable for you. I am so disappointed in this experience and her response to my concerns.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank lrc_nz
Tessa111Whitianga, Owner at Rangihau Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2017

Thank you for your review, never have we had anything quite like it in 30 years of operating as you have seen from reading our previous reviews. Once again I would like to apologize from us all that you left feeling so disappointed after your horse ride here. I have replied to your previous emails and addressed all your issues to the best of my ability.
I'm very sorry once again, we will learn by this and continue to provide an enjoyable experience to all our future clients.

Reviewed January 20, 2017 via mobile

Awesome place. Family friendly and for all levels of riders. We are experienced riders and love to go a bit faster. They let us go. We had lovely horses well trained and with warm character. We went on 3 trips. All different. All great. They ride with 2 guides and in small groups so that everybody can ride at its level. Safe and a good experience for everybody. The guide taught us also a lot about the natur and the farm. Very interesting. We live far away but would love to come back!

Date of experience: December 2016
Reviewed January 13, 2017 via mobile

I went on a two hour tour middle of January to explore the beautiful scenery and on the back of one of this beautiful horses it's definitely the most amazing experience !
I arrived early and to avoid any long waiting time, I was able to start early with one of the guides - thank you so much for this !
We went up the hills and had an amazing view on the top and were even able to went faster and ourselves and the horses definitely enjoyed themselves !
Thank you for this great afternoon and I highly recommend this experience to every single one !
*****