“A Busy Cafe with Excellent Service”
Review of The Tea Room

The Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2013

On a trip to Lee on the Solent and stopped for lunch. There are several good cafés in the Town but we were struck by the fact this one was by far the busiest. It was midday and we were able to take the last available table. Even though they were busy the staff were very friendly, attentive and helpful. Lunches can be chosen from sandwiches, toasties, jacket potatoes or salads. Meals were fairly priced for generous helpings. Nearby, even at Noon, some tables were having the clearly popular high teas and they looked excellent. Altogether a positive experience in a very good ambience with comfortable seating. We will call again and we took away several business cards to recommend to our friends. Judging by our visit the best suggestion we can make is to ensure you book in advance.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This tea room is well situated in Lee-On-Solent. My wife and i often call in for coffee and cream tea for 1, and always take our visiting friends and family to try the food when they are here.
It is sometimes very busy, but we have always been made welcome, and tables have been moved around to accommodate our guests. Food and service is 1st class, well done to all the staff and the owner for making it such a pleasant experience. in a lovely setting.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Today I made my third visit to 'The Tea Room' in a year. It was originally recommended to me by a neighbour, as being worthy of a visit. I made both my first and second visits by myself and, on both occasions, I left 'The Tea Room' wondering if my dissatisfaction was 'just me being picky'. However, after this third visit, which I made accompanied by a friend, I am convinced that I am not being 'picky', as she felt exactly the same as I did after her experience.

Today, for example, on arrival we were virtually ignored and were left to find a table for ourselves.There were already menus on the table, and we were left for more than eight minutes or so before a waitress came to take our order for tea and cakes. Meanwhile, an off-duty waitress carried on a private conversation by our table with a waitress still on duty, whilst it would have been obvious to anyone taking notice of us that we were waiting to order. Eventually, a more mature member of staff came to take our order, and gave the impression that we were almost a nuisance for arriving twenty five minutes before closing time. She certainly didn't have a 'welcoming persona' - no welcoming 'chit chat' - and I felt she was slightly annoyed when I asked her to tell me what cakes were on offer and she had to walk over with me to the cases housing them Meantime, although the visual impression. of the tearoom attempted to suggest a comfortable ambience, the sound of 'Dire Straits' did nothing to support this.'Appropriate' music to match the surroundings would have been lovely, but 'Dire Straits'?????!!!!!! I don't think so.

The variety of cakes, including the range of cupcakes on offer, were laudible, and the 'tea and cake experience' itself could not be faulted. However, my friend and I felt that the Staff did nothing to enhance our visitor experience to make it enjoyable and positive but, rather, they treated us with total indifference. When we left the premises, our departure was not acknowledged.

If there ever is a fourth visit, I hope that customer care will have been addressed.

1  Thank Jane270650
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I used to rate this remarkable little tea room so highly, but the quality has fallen a lot recently. The scones were a lot bigger, and were FRESH. The past three times I have eaten here in the past two months or so, the scones have quite obviously been microwaved. They end up being so hot inside that the cream melts, and once it cools it gets very dry and crumbly. Not at all like my original experience just over a year ago.

1  Thank Nicolab2108
Reviewed June 4, 2013

It's funny, all the cafes with the sea views are rather uninspiring, but the side street from the beachfront is home to this gem of a cafe. Super decor, and cream teas that are delicious, this is lesson on how to do it properly, in gorgeous surroundings while providing value. Unlike anywhere I've been, YOU choose what goes in your cream tea from a set selection. I think the scones with clotted cream are essential though. The service is friendly, and the toilet is really interesting. Each customer gets a unique teapot and cup with gorgeous little teaspoons. I may sound like I'm some quaint lady, but I'm an Asian guy, married with kids, and love to find relaxing places to have a fabulous lunch that doesn't cost the earth. There's even raspberry jam on offer, I'm in heaven. The only issue is, jam on cream or the other way around, you choose.