“Close...but no cigar”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

A great setting. friendly attentive staff. a good looking menu. good sized portions. sadly the chef simply isn't up to the menu. the soup was excellent. the whitebait....okay. i had the skate wing which was woefully undercooked bordering on raw. my partner the pheasant which was overlooked and tough. our guest ordered what was billed as char-grilled chicken with cheddar, expecting a nice fillet and so was disappointed when it was brought and turned out to be an open burger (with the waitress actually asking who ordered the chicken burger)...if its a burger don't describe it as anything else.

Almost all the ingredients to be an amazing place to eat...but not with the current chef I'm afraid. would i go again? Yes. but only for the ambience and carefully choose safe options.

Close but execution let it down in the end.

1  Thank MichaelSadler

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have been coming to the pub for about 3 or 4 years and visited a couple of times a month(at least).Since the new landlords the food prices have gone up slightly but the food has really gone down.We had to send back both our meals my steak was char grilled but it was bitter tasting and cremated also the liver was horrendous ,over cooked and with a skin on.I'm not sure that you should char grill a delicate meat like liver pan frying would be much nicer.When I go now I order the 'safe' sausage and mash as this is always good and did have a lovely desert banana split.My husband had a a pie which looked good but wasn't very tasty bit dry and chewy meat.But sad that a great quality restaurant has been ruined. We don't go very often now once every 3 months or so,but like the pub and some of the staff are great and the new landlady is friendly just food really very poor now.If you go on certain nights there are deals I think their website details them.Shame as this was one of only a couple of places to eat in Lee that was good in my opinion so I have to cook at home more now!!I hope in time they will get the quality back.

1  Thank vintage73
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The title of this review says it all. It is most definately an eating place that I will not visit again. The starters were so unexciting that none were ordered. The main courses that my wife and I ordered were just about edible. We did not have a desert or coffee as, although a menu was delivered, the members of staff were so busy talking that after waiting over 10 minutes without anyone being interested in taking our order, we got up and asked for our bill. My complaint to the member of staff who gave me the bill about the lack of service was countered by the response that she was busy - it was clearly more important that she cut up pieces of paper rather than attend to the needs of her customers.

2  Thank 0707David
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived on a Friday evening. Four of us. We were soon seated, order taken and food arrived very quickly. The meals were all brilliant. Will be back.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

the food used to be pretty good here ....(been a few times over last 4 years )it seems to have dramatically deteriorated. (I think the pub has changed hands)Overcooked and strange tasting liver was my unfortunate choice .....I did complain to a member of staff when he asked how it was ......he said sorry he would tell the chef ...but didnt come back....however 15mins later whilst I was paying the same person asked how the food was!!
We will not be going back ...I would think its all precooked ready meals from a wholesaler ...I would guess the cheff is in control of the microwave.

2  Thank Sean10h