“Very disapointed”

Auberge Couleurs de France
Ranked #1 of 2 Duhamel B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked our trip with the Tuango rebate which I regret. Our first room had a bad smell when we first entered but we had the view on the lake. Then the room upstairs flushed their toilet which left a very bad sewer odor in the room and when my girlfriend went in the room during dinner she almost puked because the bad smell was so strong. We told the owner's wife and she agreed that with switch to room number 2 instead of 1. By the way, the bathtube wasn't even clean in both rooms, we had to clean it ourselves. And in our second room, the bathtub sinkhole seal let the water go through so the tub wouldn't fill up and when we told the owner it took an hour before somebody came to replace it, which I had to go ask for after the hour because I was pissed.
Then trying to relax at dinner and breakfast, there were kids crying, which were theirs actually. The spa water smelled very bad and the infrared sauna wasn't working.
The only positive point were the food that was very good and the atv ride that was fun. Other than that I don't recommend this place to anyone. Its far, the 2km road to get there is horrible, the service isn't that good, theres nothing luxurious about their "chambre de luxe". DON'T GO THERE!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank MaxNSteph
There are newer reviews for Auberge Couleurs de France

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a beautiful place to relax.It's was more than we have expected !! the owners, the staff were very friendly like a family. The food was very good ! we had such a good time in this place ! Highly recommended !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amelia G
Reviewed July 25, 2013

we stayed at the Inn 1 night and the next day took advantage of the activities, all in all its a nice quiet place to get away for a few days. We were attracted by the wood log cabins, there were about 5 buildings, the main is the one we had our room in, nice seating area below with a beautiful fireplace, dining area adjacent and this room had many large windows, past those was the terrace where we had all our meals, except for lunch, they dont serve anything for lunch so you have to drive back down to town (Duhamel) about 6 km, including 2 which are not paved, this is the reason for my Review title, I spent $16.00 that same morning to have my car washed, ugh! The lake, Lac Doré, is just beautiful, again very quiet, the water is clear and they do offer canoes and paddle boats ( I suggest bringing your own life jackets as theirs are mouldy and in need of repair) There are a few loungers on an approximately 40 foot deck, small beach area, all this facing a small island that a good swimmer could reach. Dinner was good, not gourmet, but nice. The big negative in this review for me is that we left town in the middle of a great heatwave, and I thought it might be a few degrees cooler, nada, just as hot ( humidex factor 40 degrees) and to find out the room had no AC!!!! OMG, it was almost unbearable, I read 33 degrees on a thermostat; the owner told us after we checked in, to leave both doors open, as this would make the room cool, no way, I'm leaving the door open to my room with my suitcase and other personal effects, so, as u can imagine, no sleep that night, dont want to complain extensively about it since we were there only 1 night, actually, I do want to go back, in the fall!

Room Tip: bring your own life vests prepare to travel out of Inn for lunch dont go during a heatwave, as the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisa f
Reviewed July 15, 2013

There was so much chlore in the suppposed salted spa that our bathing suit color completelly faded. And the hotel wanted to charge us the stain on the towel cause by our bathing suit. Kids skin was burning and there was no pressure in the bath to rince. We were suppose to have a chalet with 3 rooms but ended up with a small second floor condo with only 2 rooms and a sofabed in the living room for the same price. They say there is a lot of activity on site like skating and countryskiing. But it is not on site, but in Duhamel. On site activities only consist of expensive snowmobile ride; which we could not do with babies...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FranceViau
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Auberge in February.

THE ROAD
I've seen many people on here complain about the icy road that lead you to the Auberge. Yes, they are icy. But to the people who say why could he not put sand or slat on them: I doubt that the owners of the Auberge own the road that also leads to other cabins. If you drive really slow, you'll be fine. You know when you go up north to a remote location that the road won't be perfect. So no biggie here.

THE CHECK IN
I must say check in was a little weird. We checked in with a girl that was dtying dished at the bar in the back. A little weird, but she was really nice and called the manager to come and do our check in. All took less than 5 minutes, so it's all good.

THE ROOM
We had room #9. It was in the basement under the dining room. Seriously it's not as big as a problem as some other people seem to be saying here. Sure if you eat supper at 5pm and are back to your room at 7pm you will here people walking on the floor above you. But you don't go out to a nice romantic getaway to just sit and watch tv all evening. So, for us, the people walking on the floor was not a problem at all.
Yes, the batroom doen't have a door, just a curtain. Weird, but we were there as a couple, and I think most people that were there were couple as well, so I don't really see why this is a problem. Yes, there is no shower, so what? You're not living there for a week, you're there for a night, Take a bath and shower when you get home the next day. No big deal.
Yes, the toilet pipes make quite a bit of noise after you flush. It's a subpump, it makes noise, you're in the country in a remote location, if things like this bother you, stay in the city.
We had a beautiful view on the lake from our room, it was fantastic.

THE LIVING ROOM
A wonderful fireplace where we sat with the Auberge's dog Moka. We met lots of great people there and discussed for quite a while. An employee even came around to offer us drinks and brought them to us very quickly.

THE FOOD
We both decided to pay a little more to take the wild boar with pears and the and the bison steak. Both were fantastic. The meat was perfectly cooked for our liking and the scalloped potatoes and vegetables were delicious. For desert, we both had the chocolate pie. It was a perfect, authentically French chocolate pie. Yum!

THE ACTIVITIES
We read on their website that there was dog-sledding available. When we got there we were told that it was not onsite and that we would have had to reserve in advance. We were a little disappointed. So we decided to go snow-shoeing on the lake. What a great plan! :) We walked for about three hours, with the dog Moka who had followed us down. It was beautiful, peaceful, and lots of fun. No regrets!

THE SERVICE
I've seen many talk about the horrible service they got at the Auberge, and I was very surprised. The girl at the check-in was really nice, she was also the one who offered us drinks in the living room late in the day. The dining room staff (two waitresses) were both very nice and smiling, always ready to help. Fantastic service. The two owners of the Auberge were also there most of the time, the wife was quite busy with her cute little baby, so most of the time it was the husband who was present. Sure, not the most smiley guy, but he was always ready to answer questions and was quite nice to all the guests in the dining room, including us. Really, no complains about the service on our part.

BRIEFLY
- Great place, absolutely beautiful.
- Great food.
- Cute, quaint, and cozy cabin-style room.
- Great service.
- And a bonus: super friendly dog!

All in all, we are thinking of going back this summer! I would recommend the Auberge to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HappyKali
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Very disappointed,

> If you are visiting on a Tuango rebate coupons, don't expect the red carpet treatment. I would bet you will not want to visit this place again.
The owner is full of himself and we were treated as second class citizen.
My Husband and I were both looking forward to a nice romantic getaway and ended up in the Hotel from Hell.

The accommodations leave much to be desired and so does the service.
They have two outdoor hot tubes which we were looking forward to enjoying. When we open the cover we noticed the water was yellowish and had a bad odor it was insulating that the would actually would invite us to us these tubes under these condition when the water was contaminated.
We decided to go play a game of pool before dinner and the pool cues tips where all broken.

With the rebate coupon package from Tuango, we had access to one snow mobile for a period of two hours, however we were not very interested in snowmobiling because of the cold ( -25 c) and icy weather. My husband asked if he would agree to upgrading us to a Suite Chalet Luxe for a value of 199.00$ instead of the 2 hours snow mobile ride. This would have been equivalent to the amount we had paid for in the rebate coupon. The owner had agreed to upgrade our room to a "Chalet de Luxe which came with a fire place, TV and jacuzzi tub. When we arrived, the owner did not honour his agreement and claimed that the room was already rented out to someone else and that they havent left the room yet. We ended up in a room located down in the basement next to a furnace room, the only one that had a fireplace. The noise was unbearable, and kept us up all night with exhause fan motors for the water heaters that started up every 30 min. and the heating system for the Ayberge When we mentioned our dissatisfaction to the owner he denied that such a room even existed.
The food was good and the lobby is warm and cozy. The location is remote and pretty but the road to drive in to L'Auberge was very icy….to cheap to put down some sand or something. Very disapointing and we would never go back to this Auberge even if it was free.

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SuzyQAylmer_Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had heard about the Auberge from a colleague, and then discovered that our friends and hosts had visited the Auberge previously, both had good reports regarding the scenic location, hospitality and the food so I was truly looking forward to an exceptional meal in lovely surroundings.
The road in is VERY rustic, and could present a problem to those not prepared for it but I had been warned about that, and our friends had been there before and were driving an SUV.
We were seated immediately, there were 5 in our party and when ordering three opted for the Minestrone Soup, I chose the smoked salmon. It was delicious!
I also chose the Boar dish (which had an additional charge over and above the regular a la carte charge, presumably because it was going to be an exceptional dish).
I was excited to try the wild boar with pear accompanied by a 'gravy' made by deglazing the pan with Maple Syrup. Sadly, the boar was over cooked and dry even with the pear perched on top. It was not hot, and I am unclear if the pan was deglazed with Maple syrup or if the syrup was poured on the plate as if the boar was a pancake; the sauce was very sweet and had little or no flavour from the meat in fact it overpowered everything. The boar and the pear. The baked tomato was fresh, but didnot make up for the disapointing tourneado of Boar.
Sometimes things don't turn out the way they should, however in a place that prides itself on it's fine cuisine, and considering the cost and premium paid I had anticipated better. When one travels as far and over difficult terrain it is to be expected that the trip will be worth it.
I kept in mind that the salmon was great, the soup was great, the scallops were delicious and the beef bavette and pepper steak had no complaints, I held out hope for dessert.
My companions tried the Chocolate Mousse (and loved it) and the Pineapple Vichysoise was also good said my companion but not as good as the last time he had it. I ordered the Creme Brulee. It was terrible, it had been in the fridge too long, there was no crack in the sugar topping because it was soft and sunken, the custard (creme) had curdled. C'est dommage. I should have sent it back. We all agreed that the coffee was weak.
I considered complaining, (in fact one of the servers did overhear me talking about the Creme Brulee but did not pursue it). I was one out of five the others had enjoyed their meal for the most part and were anxious to be on our way before too late (we had a long bumpy drive ahead of us) our companions were celebrating their anniversary and I didn't want to hold them up or put a damper on the evening. In my opinon the two dishes should not have been served, a discerning chef or server or kitchen manager should have caught both of these things before they hit the customer's table.
The Auberge building(s) are beautiful and the surrounding area is panoramic. The decor doesn't exactly mesh with the architecture however.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jude M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duhamel
Le Grand Lodge Mont-Tremblant
#1 of 2 in Saint Andre-Avellin
Auberge Petite-Nation
Auberge Petite-Nation
#2 of 2 in Saint Andre-Avellin

Been to Auberge Couleurs de France? Share your experiences!