“Modern, dirty and noisy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Purificadora

La Purificadora
Ranked #24 of 95 Hotels in Puebla
Oaxaca, Mexico
“Modern, dirty and noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we wanted to have the experience.
We asked (thanks to other reviewers) for a NON-noisy room but got a big corner room (2 adults 2 kids and needed 2 double beds). The assured me that there would only be an outside event that would end at 8pm, but later there was music until 11pm. I know the hotel has no control over outside events and they explained that given the size of my group this was the only room available. I asked for some sort of compensation (breakfast?) and received none, I wrote a complaint/suggestion saying that it would be wise to install noise cancelling windows/doors. The manager sent me an e-mail saying they would look into the noise issue.
The view from the balconies was nice and I loved the huge glass doors, not so much the glass staircase.
The shower head sprayed water in every direction and made the whole experience a bit difficult.
There had been a wedding previous to our arrival and the hotel was very dirty and it did not seem to get better the next day, there were cigaret butts on the stairs, balcony (in our room) and pool area.
It's a nicely adapted place, the food was good, the TV channels were awful, the staff was polite and helpful (not snooty at all).
My kids liked it, but I don't know if we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't mind noisy balcony rooms, great view but LOT'S of noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
millburn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

the design is interesting but the waterfall floods the steps which are steep daily. the hotel hasnt trained staff and they simply don't understand hotel management stay away

Room Tip: the so called best room hgas a whirlpool outside but you have to ask staff to come in to heat it up...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Francisco D, Gerente at La Purificadora, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear bak43
Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us at La Purificadora. We truly appreciate all of our guests feedback as it often times pinpoints areas of needed focus.
For La Purificadora nothing is more important than the comfort and tranquility of our guest, please accept our sincerest apologies.
I will share your review with the leadership team.
We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in Puebla so we may show you the quality comfort and accommodations you expect from us.
Francisco De La Hoz Foglia.
General Manager.
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

LOCATION: Several large blocks from the main square, across a big avenue from downtown area. Hotel is located inside a convention complex and next to a shopping mall and it's a little hard to find if you arrive driving.

SERVICE: It's kind of snobby, as if staff members were superstars making you a big favor and you should be grateful just for being in such a trendy and hip place (this applies for all Habita Group hotels). Restaurant service is slow and somehow arrogant. Housekeeping is just OK.

FOOD: Most options at the restaurant are fairly good and tasty with funny presentations. They are suposedly advised by Jorge Olvera, one of mexican top chefs, but the kitchen is not fully under his hands, and this is noticeable in the inconsistency of the menu items. We attended the sunday brunch which was very good but pricey. It's kind of weird that they just have big tables like for 6 to 8 people.

ROOMS: They were clearly designed with the objective of being trendy, instead of thinking of guest comfort. The bed and furniture orientation is weird, as well as the transparent walls and doors. Rooms feel kind of cold and not that cozy. Towels and linens are good, as well as Khiel's amenities.

COMMON AREAS: It used to be an old water purifying plant and architects did a magnificient job with the restoration. Almost every nook and cranny is picture perfect, and the whole place is trully breathtaking. The rooftop with the see-through swimming pool, the jacuzzi and the view are really top-notch.

OVERALL: In architecture and design terms, this is a magnificient place, which is worth the visit. As a hotel, it leaves a lot to be desired, as service and guest satisfaction are clearly not their main goals. If you are happy just with being in a funky place, this is the hotel for you. But If you tend to expect something else from a hotel, like good service, maybe you'll find it too trendy for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank voyagean78
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

An attractive place, BUT. The floors in the main lobby are dangerous the granite tiles have edges that are so easy to trip on, for little kids they could easily trip and get hurt real bad.
The elevator had confetti from what must have been a wedding the DAY before, and had not been cleaned by 2PM. The restaurant has good food, especially the shrimp tacos, but it only has tables for parties of six or eight, not a place for an intimate romantic dinner.
The rooms have a closet made of glass, not even frosted, which is appalling, there is no privacy for those that would like it. Overall, a nice place ruined by an architect who has not thought very much about the comfort of guests. The upstairs bar is nice with some great views, but a person who traveled in the elevator with me was scared to walk on the glass see-through floors to 3 levels below. Would not stay here again. The access to the hotel is also terrible.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank smaresident
20036
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

La Purificadora is beautifully designed and retains the old factory's structure with smart, modern restoration. The location was outside of the city center, but it never felt inconvenient.

In other hotels in Mexico, my inadequate Spanish-speaking skills were less of an impediment than at La Purificadora. Although staff at La Purificadora spoke English, I found them to be less helpful than at other Mexican hotels. For example, they didn't mention the upstairs gym and bar areas, and I missed my flight due to a miscommunication with a taxi driver arranged by the hotel. (I realize this is my own shortcoming in a Spanish-speaking country, but I thought it might be helpful to point out the distinction between other nearby hotels.)

The breakfast was delicious. The room was clean and peaceful, and we slept very well at La Purificadora.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank izzy76
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We really enjoyed staying here. It's quite a unique property. The staff was friendly and the hotel was wonderful! Our room was great and it's within walking distance to many restaurants and sites. We'd definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

I loved this hotel. The design, the architecture, the decor was all just breathtaking. The rooms are airy, the bed is beyond comfortable and the service adequate. Having said this, yes, the other reviewers are right. The noise of the convention centre next door is a hindrance... I visited in December, so a lot of office parties take place as one was taking place the Saturday I arrived.

However, the reservations lady did call me back, saying there was going to be an event and that if I wanted to look for another place to stay I could cancel my booking without penalty... I told her I'd like to assess the noise level myself. I liked this, I was warned and given a choice, somehow when the noise started I didn't feel as cheated because I had indeed been warned. And the party ended at 11... Not bad at all.

The one frustrating experience? The tv. Few channels, lousy signal, and the remote control wouldn't work at all - tv is important to me to wind down before bed, so I found this to be a big minus!

Still,the hotel is worth knowing, stay over on a weekday, it will be silent and if you ain't to big a tv fan, your stay will be perfect. This is a nice, trendy, chic place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011