“nice friendly hostel in Puebla, Mexico”

Hostal Santo Domingo
Ranked #5 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Puebla
Chicago, Illinois
“nice friendly hostel in Puebla, Mexico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a well run hostel, small, clean and comfortable with very friendly staff. the hostel is located in the heart of old Puebla (about 3 blocks to the Zocalo) provides free breakfast and internet access. The en-suite rooms have very tall ceilings and private bath. it is quiet inside the room, but could get a little noisy if you leave the door open to the covered courtyard which also serves as the breakfast room and the general gathering place. I traveled with 2 sons and stayed in this hostel for 4 nights (in 2 trips) so you can say I like it enough to enjoy the place.

the minor things I don't like while there were (1) only 1 of the 3 desktop computers were working; while the wifi signal inside the room was too weak.; and (2) you are allowed 2 pieces of toast or a bowl of cereal + drinks for breakfast. Not that I need more food, but I don't like the straight rule :-)

Room Tip: most rooms have no windows and the door facing the covered courtyard. it could get noisy, so pick o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank amy2k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The entire hostel is freezing! I felt like i was in a warehouse, not a warm hostel.
I got a horrible cold and cough from staying a night there. The blankets keep you warm but the cold drafts are horrible. Theres no way to stop you breathing in the cold air all night.

Bad:
Freezing cold building- maybe made from stone? Old hacienda style layout with enormous open area.
Breakfast is 90% sugar- cereal and white toast with jam.

Good:
Wifi worked
Centrally located

Would try the other hostel in Puebla next time.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Rosysmith85
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed only one night but I had a nice time. It was very clean, not crowded and very spacious rooms and bathrooms. The breakfast it is good for the price you pay (Coffee, orange juice, toast bread and cereal). The girl at the reception was very helpful giving me tips and maps to get around downtown and at the time I was living she called me a taxi. My only two concerns are that they were only 2 electrical outlets in a room for 12 and one of the guys at the reception was not helpful at all when I asked for things to do or any place to eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed a couple of nights here and it was pleasant. I got a private room on the second floor that overlooked the courtyard cafe. The room was windowless but had really high ceilings, so it didn't feel stuffy. Also, the bathroom had recently been renovated. In fact, they were renovating a number of rooms while I was there. The best part about the hostel was that it was just a few blocks from the Zocalo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Check in staff member was very nice and spoke English which was nice of him. He showed me the rules which I had to sign which included 2 that are unheard of at any hostel. No alcohol or smoking anywhere on the premises! Not a great start. The hostel is very empty and very hard to meet anyone due to the unsociable rules. The rooms are very basic and fairly clean except my bathroom has the remains of someone else's soap and loofah! It's in a decent spot about 2 blocks from the town centre. I wouldn't come back though, I would try somewhere else in Puebla.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Stagmouth
Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Spacious rooms, but bathroom could be cleaner. Breakfast was awful. Friendly staff though. Internet was not working the whole time we were there, but there are a lot of internet cafés in town. Puebla itself is lovely.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

First of all, I usually write my reviews of Mexico in Spanish since I am a proud Mexican, but I feel I have to write this one in English to warn others that might not speak the language. Most of the front staff was very nice except for this one dude named Carlos who was exceptionally rude to me. I am not a loud party animal traveller so I really dont know why he disliked me. He was there when I checked in. If I dont show up the first night, Booking.com will charge you for the first nite so I really did not have a choice. I asked for a sheet since there was none on the bed, He said ...NOOO..since all the sheets were counted! Then I asked him about a tour to Cholula, he said I had to give him 50 pesos to reserve a space. Being naive and trusting, I did but then I guess he kept it because when I asked the tour guide, Raul if he received it, he said No..so I guess it is safe to say, that he stole it!..The place was dark and cold, and I got sick there because of this. Also, since I go to bed early, the young drinking clientele kept me awake! On the plus side, I got good service on my laundry and breakfast had fresh squeezed orange jiuce!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Marta E

Travelers are raving about these Puebla hotels