“Wonderful place to enjoy friends and good food.”

La Casa del Mendrugo
Ranked #15 of 1,006 Restaurants in Puebla
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Much more than a restaurant. Experience the fusion of gastronomy, music, art, history and the spontaneous expression of life in the heart of Puebla. Fine dinning Restaurant, Museum, Jazz Club, Coffee Shop, Bar, Pub.
Reviewed March 19, 2019

We traveled with a group of friends and were accommodated in a private dining room. Each of us ordered individually from the menu and were pleased with our choices. We started with salads, soups and tapas followed by entrees. The meat is done exactly, so if you want medium rare steak, ask for it. Two people returned a "rare" steak for slight more cooking on the grill, as rare was rare!! The service was wonderful and accommodating. They were great at keeping the beverages coming and the music was a true joy. It is the midst of the historical area.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 4, 2019

we sat down and tried he tapas near the bar here one night and a sample of their in-house beers and it was all really good. Then we assumed their main restaurant would be just as good for dinner. We were wrong. Ordered the 'pork' soup even though I was told it's beef when it came out and it was too salty. Also tried one of the apps with cheese and chorizo. I thought it'll be en entire chorizo cut in slices with some cheese on top. It was the opposite. Close to a pound of different cheese fried in a cast iron pan with small pieces of chorizo inside, some tortillas, green peppers and a little bit of guac = $175 pesos (too much!). My spouse tried the seafood pasta--this and the IPA beer I ordered were the only tasty things we ordered. The beer had to be sent back the first time because it wasn't cold enough. Our bill was 542 pesos. I've traveled to over 40 countries and have eaten at numerous restaurants. I wouldn't return here. I felt like we overpaid for what we got (in Puebla anyway). The food didn't impress me at all for the prices. There are way better restaurants in Puebla for much less than that and even for that much. I suggest looking elsewhere.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 9, 2019 via mobile

We were here 2 years ago and the Portobello mushroom again received my wife's highest rating the two nights we dined here. I again enjoyed the shrimp with garlic butter and tried the mole poblano chicken breast after Ramon' urging me to test the mole before ordering as I had not cared for it in other cities the past two years. Thank you, Ramon! I now there's one mole I have thoroughly enjoyed. Also, many thanks for the time you spent with us in your marvelous museum. If you have dessert, consider the mocha pastry which we selected both nights.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank tennismaine
Reviewed January 3, 2019

Very good restaurant ... close to historic center, nice environment, very good food quality and excellent service. It has a little museum inside (upstairs) that is open until late and live music but not noisy. One of the bests I have been in Puebla so far. The only issue we had was that the desserts we ordered were not available.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank megavio
Reviewed December 5, 2018

We stumbled on the cafe when when we checked out the Museum shop to the right of the main entrance. We weren't hungry but we did need just to sit and rest for a bit. The main dining area seemed lovely but the more intimate cafe met and exceded our needs. We ordered a really nice glass of tempranillo (75 pesos) and a caesar salad with grilled chicken. The bar menu lists bottles of wine, limited glasses, craft beers, salads and a variety of tapas. We also discovered that the bar offers a three course executive lunch (95 pesos w/o beverage) daily from 1:00 until 6:00.
The ambience in the bar is intimate and very comfortable. There are stairs to a larger second level with additional tables and sofas. It's a terrific place to relax and enjoy a calm snack/tapas or very tasty light lunch.
On a return visit, we tried the sampler of 3 house craft beers (49 pesos) and each was very good. Lunch was a cream of pepper soup, followed by huitlacoche and serrano ham crepes in a divine cheesey cream sauce, and an excellent pastel de maiz. And all of this sitting at a corner wood table by a wrought iron lamp that provided just the right glow on a late and darkening afternoon. Service is very attentive and the bar is uncrowded.
We might eventually try the formal restaurant, too, but right now we prefer the relaxed intimacy of the bar.
The presence of an Ayn Rand quote lettered on the back wall is a little personally disturbing, although if one can just address the architectural sentiment presented (and imagine Gary Cooper) without current political associations, all should be well...

Date of visit: December 2018