“All good, except the noise”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Puebla
Washington
“All good, except the noise”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place has everything going for it: a location that's a quick walk to the city center; clean and modern bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms; an exercise area and roof deck; and a helpful staff. The one drawback is the noise: the property is located on a busy street, and the sounds of rumbling trucks, noisy buses, and loud pedestrians can't be blocked even with the windows shut and the shutters closed. It also sits on top of a busy OXXO convenience store, and I was woken up every day at some point between 1-4 AM by loud conversations from just below my second story window that even earplugs and a pillow over my head couldn't drown out. If it weren't for the sleep deprivation, I'd have no trouble recommending this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mrsirin
Suites-La-Concordia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Suites La Concordia, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your host during your visit to Puebla. I regret to hear that you were woken up due to loud conversation coming from the street... normally the street is very quiet between 9:30 pm and 7:00 am. Thank you for your review. Robin Nester - Customer Service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My stay in Puebla was incredible and it all started out by staying here.... the staff is very friendly and the suites are very comfortable. The mattresses are the best mattresses I have slept in any hotel, including 5 star. Having 2 TV in each room is a joy if there are two people staying and they want to watch different things.

Room Tip: Suites 1 and 2 are quieter because they do not have balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack H
We appreciate the opportunity we had to be your hosts during your stay in Puebla. I´m happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Suites and hopefully we will have the opportunity to have you again in the future. Thank you for your review. Robin Nester - Customer Service.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is small hotel located in the heart of Puebla... only 5 blocks from the main Plaza. The rooms are separated from the kitchenette and the bathroom has some of the best amenities I have experience in a hotel including very cute containers of coffee. It is very relaxing to spend time at the roof garden, listening to music and watching all the steeples from the Churches... specially with a full moon. I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommended highly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Betty M
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Puebla. Because we are always looking for ways to protect the environment we came up with these cute coffee containers that our guests have really liked... many take them as souvenirs. I´m happy to hear that you were lucky enough to stay at the suites during a Full Moon because the view of the moon behind the steeple of La Iglesia de la Concordia is beautiful. Robin Nester - Suites La Concordia.
Paris
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Spotlessly clean hotel right in the centre of Puebla. Very nice rooms and bathroom. Even a kitchenett for longer visits. Modern, new furnishings. Also very central! Nice view from the roof of the hotel where you can also sit out, or exercice on the gym machines.
Would recommend also for business trips.
One improvement would be if breakfast was available on the rooftop which would have been a nice touch.
The hot water was also a bit random but other than that, great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank squigs83
Suites-La-Concordia, Customer Service at Suites La Concordia, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Suites and we hope to be able to host you in the future.

Robin Nester
Customer Service
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am an experienced/frequent traveler, who has traveled extensively for business over 25 years nationally and internationally. I have stayed at numerous hotels during my business and personal/vacation trips. I know quality, comfort and professional customer service, and also know when a hotel and staff are a problem.

I had such an outrageously terrible experience at the suites La Concordia that I must spend the time describing all these horrible events. I must warn/alert all travelers who read this review, advise everyone to stay somewhere else and never consider staying at this hotel, unless you want to have the awful experiences and the miserable time I had and described below.

1. Safety is the main issue. The staff tried to steal from me! Your belongings are not safe! While the suites La Concordia has safety boxes, my box was forced and got blocked with all the attempts made to open it. In addition, my suitcase was opened and they went through my belongings trying to steal from me.
The outrageous aspect is that the staff denied it and tried to cover it up, when I reported it.

2. There is no management or staff that is responsible, knowledgeable, polite and trained to address problems or even one’s needs at suites La Concordia!
When you have a problem, it is either not solved or the inexperienced front desk staff (read comment below on this), not knowing what to do only contact someone else by phone. You have to wait for a long time until that person arrives. Sometimes no one can be reached and the staff then just elects to move the person to another suite!

When you arrive you are handed a card with a manager’s name: Lupittina Mortera.
I tried to get in touch with her and concluded “she does not exist”. She never answered my emails !

3. You cannot be contacted by phone past 7 pm and often at suites La Concordia, neither during the day (like you can when you stay at a normal hotel). In addition, because of the lean and untrained staff, the desk is often unattended.
This is outrageous, because your family and friends will never be able to reach you.

4. As indicated in the review of Ms. Monica M. in April, you often will not be able to take a shower at this place because they have hot water problems. The water may start hot, but one does not have enough water to take a hot shower! At times, one suddenly gets cold water while taking a shower. Very uncomfortable. One day, I could not even take a shower because there was no hot water!

5. I lost over 4 h of my valuable time over my short stay dealing with problems. I was relocated (after having unpacked and gotten settled every time!) 3 times because the rooms have many problems. No one at suites La Concordia apologized or even considered the inconveniences for the guest! These problems include:

a. As indicated by the review/post in April, these suites have problems with the AC /heater units. This means that they have gotten more than one port and review on this problem, and it is outrageous that they do not keep track of the suites that need this repair.
I was probably in the same suite as the reviewer who posted comments in April, since the AC unit did not work in the first suite where I stayed the first night. I could not sleep that night, since it was so hot!

I pointed the problem to the front desk staff member Xochitl . One notices right away when an AC unit does not work. She ignored me and did not want to solve this problem the day I arrived and reported the problem.

b. Problem with the toilets. When I was moved to another suite because of problems, the toilet started overflowing when I used it!!! I was told they could not get anyone to fix it, and relocated me yet to another suite (after I had unpacked and gotten settled!).

Later when discussing this issue with one staff member at suites La Concordia, I was told that the front desk staff knew of the toilet problem in that suite. He was puzzled why Xochitl had moved me to that room, when the problem was documented for that suite (and the suites was marked as blocked/ not to be used)!!!!

c. Problem with water. When I arrived to the first and second suite there was no water! I had to wait for them to call someone externally to turn the water on in the first suite!!! I actually was able to turn the water on in the second suite, having observed what the problem was with the first suite.. so I acted as “their plumber”, since they do have one in house (nor any contractor/handy man) to take care of problems!

d. Suites La Concordia has problems with the refrigerators. Some of my food went bad because the refrigerator in the suite did not work.

Again Xochitl did not want to address it. She denies everything! I demanded that I get a different refrigerator. Then I had to wait 24 h until it got semi cold (never cold enough). Again, who will pay for the food that got spoiled?

e. Suites La Concordia has problems with their showers. When I was moved to another suite (again, after I had unpacked and gotten settled !), I noticed at night that the shower head was clogged and I could not take a shower!

When I brought this up to Xochitl’s attention, she denied it again, and she and a customer service rep (who argued with me about the problems I had, instead of admitting them and returning my money) insulted my intelligence by telling me I did not know how to use a shower!!!! They have a shower with 3 settings… how difficult is it to figure this out! Their problem is that they do not have any QC and do not test their suites! The shower head was clogged because of the hard water!!! All they had to do is clean it!!! It took again a day for them to fix it. I had to tell them what to do, because all they do is argue.
Most mot importantly, how can they insult someone by saying people/I do not know how to use a shower? I have a PhD and have completed post doc work! The audacity!
The excuses they give and the ways they go about to cover their problems are outrageous!

f. Front desk staff.
My friends who live in Puebla told me that the front desk staff looked and acted like maids. In Puebla and Mexico, there are plenty of maids. This is the level of education one has to deal with. Above, I described all the problems I experienced with Xochitl, who not only could not solve one of the problems on her own, but was nasty, argued with guests and their friends, and never apologized!

Suites La Concordia should in addition to fixing the numerous problems in all their rooms, hire professional and educated staff. Professional staff is needed to be able to relate and interact with guests in a polite and skilled manner, and have the ability and knowledge to help them.

I brought all these problems to their management and asked for my money back. As you can read, the experiences were real nightmares. How can a place have so many problems and have the attitude they have? The “manager” Lupittina Mortera did not even bother replying to my emails . The least I deserved was an apology from her!

Another representative (who never showed up at the hotel) gave a million excuses, denied a lot of their problems and refused to give me my money back.

I hope all readers agree that the least they should have done is return my money.

Again, unless you want to experience the nightmares I went through, do not even consider staying in this terrible place.

These are some suggestions.
1. For those who want to experience the city and be close to downtown, these are some suggestions, much closer to downtown. Suites la Concordia is about 6 long blocks from downtown and it is a long walk away. Also, by the way if you have a car, Suites La Concordia does not even have a parking lot!

Suggestions
Hotel Casona San Antonio
Santiago Hotel Puebla
Camino Real Puebla

The best hotel are (but more expensive):
Casareyna Hotel
Mesón Sacristia de la Compañía
El Sueno Hotel and Spa

2. If you like suites, you are belter of staying at a reputable place where at least you have professional staff and decent rooms. Recommendation: Suites Sevilla

3. Other good options (if you have a car are)
Puebla Marriott Real
Fiesta Inn
Presidente InterContinental Puebla

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria L
First of all I want to let you know that we appreciate all our guest reviews.

Each suite has an electronic safe so our guests can safeguard any of their possessions. After you complained and accused that someone in the staff had tried to force open the safe in your room, we hired an outside company to analyze what had happen. They determine that all the attempts that were done to open the safe were done while you were in the Suite as they compared the time readings from the electronic lock on the main door and the time readings from the electronic safe; concluding that you probably had forgotten the code you entered or that you entered it wrong by mistake. Once the safe was opened, for you, by the Maintenance Manager you were asked to check everything and as you noted at that moment and in this review: NOTHING was taken or stolen from the safe or your suitcase. It is a little odd that someone would go through your belongings… and nothing was taken.

Our policy is that if there is something that is not working in a Suite the first thing we do is to offer the guest, and help if wanted, to move to another Suite so the guest does not have to wait for the Maintenance people, the plumber or the electrician to fix the problem. In the case in which the guest has forgotten the combination they entered on the safe it takes a little longer because, for the safety of our guests, we limit the amount of personnel that have access to room safes.

As you correctly stated in your review, you requested a full refund for your 4 day stay at the Suites and threatened, that if you did not receive a full refund, you were going to write a negative review. Although we know that negative reviews can affect how our property is perceived by the general public we can not fall into blackmail.

Suites La Concordia is only 5 months old and the A/C units, the refrigerators, the hydro-showers, the water pressured system, and everything else is brand new so it is a little surprising to find out that nothing worked during your stay. We acknowledge that although everything was checked before opening the property their have been some minor problems outside our control that we have worked to correct.

Thank you again for your review and regret that your stay was not up to your expectations.

Robin Nester
Customer Service
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Likes

Good location for walking around Puebla city.  Clean rooms, good separate kitchen facilities, roof top entertaining area and gym.  Secure property. It is a new property with good fittings and fixtures. Ideal for business traveller/or those who want self contained affordable accommodation.

Dislikes

Bedroom too small to fit generous double bed, shower is potentially dangerous with erratic scalding hot or freezing cold temperature.

Room Tip: Away from the street can be noisy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Suites-La-Concordia, Guest Relations Manager at Suites La Concordia, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your review... we always appreciate our guests reviews. After your comment about the hot and cold water we brought in an expert to determine what could have happened in the suite you stayed in and he determined that the was a construction mistake made on the gas supply to the water heating system. The problem has now been corrected. We hope to see you again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A friend of mine recommended this hotel and I went there not expecting much. But I found out that they have taken care of all the details. From the coffee containers that are unique (never seen some like this in all my travels) to the very comfortable beds... pillow top bedsthat are only found in some of the upper hotel chains in the world. Also having two areas separated by a door made it very convinient for my wife to go to sleed while I was still working on some e-mails or watching TV... two flat screen TVs per room.

Room Tip: There is an excellent little hold in the wall right across the Suites that has some excellent quesad...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Suites-La-Concordia, Manager at Suites La Concordia, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We appreciate your review.... There is nothing more comfortable when traveling than an excellent bed, so we made sure to put some of the best mattresses available for sleeping. The reason we placed a door between the bedroom and the social area is so one can go to sleep while the other person continues to do their things.