“Bring your earplugs!”

Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Puebla
Sydney, Australia
“Bring your earplugs!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I would love to give this hotel 5 stars. The rooms are gorgeous. The staff are friendly and professional. Breakfast was delicious. Massage was great. The whole place has a really lovely, relaxed feel.

Except when you are trying to sleep.

We stayed in Tamara - a lovely, spacious and quirky room that we really loved. But on the first night, a saxophone player (not my favourite instrument at the best of times) was literally standing on our doorstep serenading some diners.

Night 2, and the entire foyer, restaurant, and - pretty much the whole hotel, was given over to a Mexican wedding reception that you had to navigate just to get to your room. Then right on cue ie: bedtime, a violinist arrived on our doorstep, serenading more diners...

If you want some sleep - this is not the place to stay. also - if you stay in Tamara, bring an eyemask as the room is very bright and there are no blackout curtains.

If you don't mind a boutique party atmosphere, you may like this place - but if you like your sleep, definetly stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Don't choose Tamara unless you have an eyemask. the room is bright all night from the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joeschwaa
HotelPuebla, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at EL Sueno Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Each comment from our customers is paramount and we work every day in their welfare.
thank you for choosing and care provided, hope to serve you again in the near future.
Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I am very disappointed with the El Sueno, and the primary reason is the location of the room we were given. We stayed in the Remedios room, a Junior Suite, which is situated on the first floor off the interior courtyard about 15 feet from the bar and breakfast area.
I immediately objected to the room, concerned it would be too noisy, and was offered a different room on the opposite side of the courtyard for two nights and then we would have to return to the Remedios for the last two nights. Big deal. The other room was also located off the courtyard. Or, we could pay an extra $400 USD to stay in a master suite upstairs. Otherwise, they were fully booked.
So, we suffered through cups clanging in the morning, guests voices and elevator music that played in a loop all day long in the courtyard.
I spent a couple of hours looking for another hotel near the Zocola with no luck, and we didn't want to spend the entire time in Puebla searching for another hotel, so we were stuck.
Besides the poor location, the room was dark (we called it "the cave"), it had a musty and metallic smell, the toilet didn't flush well and there were no English channels on the TV, which we would turn on occasionally at night to block out the noise from the courtyard.
The only bright spot at the El Sueno is the staff, who are friendly and provide excellent service. The breakfast was also good. You can choose from several Mexican and international items from a menu. Because the breakfast was so good, I would have liked to have dinner at their restaurant, but we didn't because we didn't want to spend a single peso more at the hotel.
We've stayed at a lot of budget hotels during our travels, so we survived, but I had much higher expectations for the El Sueno.
The bottom line is they should NEVER offer guests the Remedios room, nor the Frieda or the Antoinette rooms next door, nor any room off the courtyard as guest rooms. And I believe management knows it, because at checkout, no one bothered to ask us if we enjoyed our stay.
We paid about $150 USD per night including breakfast and taxes. The El Sueno definitely was NOT worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Freedomtogo
Dear customer, thank you for the attention given valuable comments which helps us to improve and serve you better.
We are sorry we have met your expectations of travel, but we love to give us the opportunity to show that we work for you and your welfare.
Best regards!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have to say the place is very nice. I arrived to another hotel to find a room but they were full and recommend me El Sueno Hotel.

The place is very nice, lots of details everywere, I loved the decor!!! All the rooms have a theme and a special color, mine was the orange one.

The only problem I had was noise during the night, I really need it quiet to have a good rest and I just couldn't do it.

The food needs to get a bit better but it was alright.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hanne S
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had a great experience at this place! The hotel is very comfortable and the rooms do not have numbers but names of famous women. I stayed both in the suite Catarina and the room with 2 beds Isadora. The suite Catarina by far was excellent both in comfort and design. The room Isadora was rather dull and unintersting but clean. The best feature about this hotel is the kitchen. They prepare the MOST delicious meals I have ever tasted. Not to be missed are the Chilaquiles with salsa roja for breakfast and the tuna tartare and duck breast for dinner. The location is great as it is only about 3 blocks walking from the main Cathedral and Main Square in the old historic center of Puebla. Not recommended for people with kids.

Room Tip: You have to book a Jr. suite or above if you want the "design" experience of the hotel. I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank guienriquez
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Has the feel of a boutique hotel, but also highly professional. Staff is very helpful and attentive; they will bend over backwards to accomodate anything you need. Wonderful place to relax. Interesting and modern decor/style without being overbearing. Very good location, 5 minute walk to zocalo.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank artieg1
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a small hotel, but it is very nice, comfortable, clean and well furnished with contemporary accent. I was in Puebla city for business and my reservation was prompt and professional, I got the room name Josefina. It was very pleasent and comfortable. The Terrace was the place where I enjoyed the peacefulness with the plants and flowers. The pool was delightful with lukewarm water, just perfect for swimming. The food was superb and the whole staff was very kind and friendly. The bar was another place to enjoy and relax after a long tiring day.
I was there for 3 days and I want to say "Thank You to El Sueno Hotel's staff" to make me feel at home.

Room Tip: When you get lunch ask for the Tuna Salad it is really scrumptious.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank victormanueld
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was at this hotel and spa during the summer of 2011. My husband and I had a great time. The rooms were very nice decorated with bright colors. The staff was very helpful and friendly from the moment of our arrival. We were looking for a relaxing place and where we could have a nice intimate time. This was definitely the place to go, we had time to enjoy each other and connect with each other without all the distractions. If you are looking for a place to have a relaxing enjoyable time, El Sueno Hotel & Spa is the place to go!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple