“Good location”

Ranked #1 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Puebla
Vancouver, Canada
“Good location”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I spent two nights here in my own room (double bed with shower and toilet in the room). The room was quite small, but that was all I needed since I was there to visit the town, not the hostel! I found the bed and pillows to be comfortable and I was warm enough (it does get cold at night in December!).
The rooms are on two levels with the dorms on the first level and the private rooms on the second level. They are all built around a courtyard. There are chairs and tables in the courtyard, which is where breakfast is served. I found it to be a little loud a night because people would sit in the courtyard and talk. It was quite easy to hear them in the rooms.
The breakfast consisted of two pieces of toast, jam and butter, cereal and milk, juice and coffee and was served from 8:30-10:30am.
The hostel location is excellent, a few blocks south of the Zocalo. I was able to walk to all the sites in town and it was also not far to the collective bus stops. There is quite a bit of traffic on the road in front of the hostel.
The staff was quite friendly, but they could improve their knowledge of the area (how to get to some of the major sites; they did make a good effort to help, but they didn’t seem to know where I wanted to go, even though it was one of the major attractions – however, nor did the people at the tourist information centre…).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ChileSolo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great location - just a couple of blocks from the zocalo and cathedral. Helpful, friendly staff and comfortable beds, although the lower bunks are a bit of a squeeze - if you're not a midget, mind your head! Decent breakfast included - loved the freshly squeezed orange juice.

Hostel is nice but would benefit from having somewhere cosy for guests to hang out and meet each other - the hostel is around a courtyard so it gets cold and the only communal seating is hard chairs and tables. Girls-only dorm is also cold - I needed an extra blanket! Hot water is available 24 hours a day but if you're not showering at breakfast time, you may need to ask the front desk to switch on the boiler and then wait 10 minutes for the water to heat up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank missemilygray
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I will start this by saying I was only here one night, on my way to Oaxaca. I knew from an internet search I didn´t have much to choose from hostel wise on Puebla, and none with really any atmosphere, so I wasn't expecting much. So, that being said, here´s the review:
Good: very close to Zocalo and bus stations, pretty old building, nice staff, decent price with basic breakfast included. Shower had hot water, although I couldn´t direct the flow, so I had to stand in the corner like I was in time out...

Eh: not much atmosphere, not sure if they have a kitchen or laundry service. Very open so it can get cold outside of the rooms. I wouldn´t come solo looking for buddies, although I suppose that´s luck of the draw.

Bad: Internet connection not great. I stayed in the mixed dorm for 12 and had it all to myself, which I was super thankful of because God knows I would have annoyed people trying to stuff my average (70L) sized backpack in the noisy metal locker. On a longer stay I may have unpacked everything and had them hold my backpack. This was only my second hostel though, so maybe that´s normal.

I don´t think there´s lots of hostels in Puebla so this is probably your best bet, and if you're travelling with people it´s fine. You may be able to find a proper hotel for not much more though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank OmniaVinatAmor
Vicente M P, General Manager at Hostel Casona Poblana, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to write. We agree with you about the atmosphere of the hostel. We are working to provide activities and events that entertain our guests. Hope you will come back to Puebla soon and check your comments took effect. Thank you!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in the lovely colonial town of Puebla. This is a really great hostel, rooms around a really cool courtyard area, private rooms very clean, spacious, good hot shower. Nice breakfast of cereal, toast & jam, coffee & orange juice. The staff were very helpful and informative. The hostel is only 2 blocks from the zocalo which has some great restaurants and a pleasant vibe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa C
Rosenheim, Germany
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

This is what every hostel should be like! We stayed there a few nights ago and Marco (the owner) was most helpful with everything, made is breakfast and even rescued us from a venomous spider.
Very clean, big locker each, spacious and as central as it gets! If you are looking for great accom, look no further. This is the place to stay!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Alena1205
Astoria, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently and really enjoyed our stay. The room might be a bit small for some, but it opened up into a balcony that let in lots of light and felt much bigger. Breakfast was your typical international fare. The place was on a busy little street, just blocks away from the central zocalo and anything else you'd want to visit. When we were there there was a huge street fair for one of the patron saints just blocks away! It wasn't the most romantic, cozy place, but it did offer anything a traveler would need, as well as easy access to the wonderful city of Puebla.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vigo, Spain
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I spent the weekend here over 5 de Mayo and I couldn't have been more pleased! The facilities were nice and very clean and the location was excellent (just a few blocks from the zocalo and walking distance from a lot of sights). Bathrooms have hot water 24/7 an there are 2 computers with internet (there is also wifi but I didn't bring my computer so I can't vouch for how well it works) and a pile of books and movies. There is a luggage room and towels are available for rent. Breakfast is included and consists of cereal, toast, coffee and juice. I believe other things are available on request as I noticed others eating quesadillas :) Above all, the staff at this hostel couldn't be more friendly. I felt like I was staying with very knowledgeable family! I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Puebla.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs (the girls dormitory and 2 of the private rooms) are a little noisier as they are r...