“Tasty tacos..lots of people..but not a lot of hygiene.”
Review of Las Ranas

Las Ranas
Ranked #45 of 665 Restaurants in Puebla
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: It is located just around the corner of the street 5 de Mayo in Puebla (the most important walking street) It is 2 restaurants.. one right across the other. They specialize in tacos but they serve a few other dishes too. It is by far the best tacos in the city and I have invited friends from Greece, Norway and all over Mexico and everyone loves them so I can't understand why they aren't listed in tripadvisor yet. They are the best known tacos in the city I am sure
Brisbane Region, Australia
“Tasty tacos..lots of people..but not a lot of hygiene.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

the so called Arabes are Turkish Kababs .. the type where lamb slices are skewered on a revolving post and cooked on a gas grill... we all know that they are always tasty! Unfortunately the Mexicans do not do them as they are done in Turkey; they just turn the gas up to top speed and after a minute they slice off the outside slivers and then refry them in the oil at the bottom. Tasty?.. yes.. healthy? ..no. At Ranas, the revolving spit with the meat is placed immediately at the front of the cafe.. you could actually touch it as you walk by on the footpath.. they put up new packs during the day, but each one sits there so close to passersby, some sneezing, coughing etc. exhaust fumes etc. Appetising? yes.. health risk? .. yes. What does help Ranas is the fact that it is popular and the turnover is large. Give me a cafe where they place the meat machine in a sanitary kitchen anyday. Of course, Puebla and all of Mexico has many other economic eating options where one can be confident of the hygiene in place.

• Visited July 2012

Montevideo, Minnesota
“Best Sandwich I had in Mexico”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Probably the best thing I ate on my whole 10 day trip to Mexico was the Arabian Taco (or “Taco Gringa” – as they list it on the menu) at this popular local restaurant in Puebla. I went of the recommendation of the Lonely Planet and found everything to be just as they said. The taco was fantastic – I savored every bite.
The service was slow and unwelcoming. It was hard to find an open table but when I did, I sat for a long while before someone came up to me – I was not sure if I was to go and place my order or not, but finally a smileless young man with a backwards turned baseball cap came up to me and placed an order form in front of me, turned around and left without saying a word. I found the Arab Taco on the list and checked it (wished later that I had ordered 2) El joven came back a few minutes later, took my piece of paper and then began the 15 minute wait for my order – but it was all worth it. If you are in Puebla and you like delicious meat and pita bread with melted cheese – go to Las Ranas and order this sandwich.

Visited July 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“perfecto!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

if you love pork, eat here! even picky American kids will enjoy the savory carne al pastor on a plain flour or corn tortilla, or even better, the warm, pita-like "pan arabe". it's only spicy-hot when you add the amazing red or green salsas.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Outstanding tacos”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We came here for dinner and had some of the best tacos we have ever had. Las Ranas is famous for tacos arabes. They are absolutely delicious, but they are pretty big, so 2-3 should be more than enough.

Tacos arabes are large tacos al pastor served in a pita style flour tortilla. They also do arabes gringas (the same but served with melted cheese inside as well).

The service was fast and they will come to you in within five minutes of ordering. It is very popular and has a quick turn-over. If you have to wait a few minutes to be seated it is worth it.

• Visited February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Best tacos so far!”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I went to Las Ranas 3 times in 3 days, twice on 1 day. Their tacos are all excellent, especially the "El Arabe" and there's some bean soup that was delicious as well. Best tacos I've had in Mexico so far - and I've had a lot!

Visited October 2011