“wonderful experience!”

Meson Sacristia de la Compania
Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Puebla
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I and my friend stayed in Meson Sacristia for a week. We bought a package including cooking classes, some meals, a city tour etc.. Everything was arranged perfectly. Cooking classes were informative and practical. Instruction was translated to English, and all our questions were answered in English as well by a translator. They took us to a local market one day to show typical Mexican ingredients, too! We had great time participating classes.

This historical old place with only 8 suites was very well maintained and decorated with beautiful antiques. Unlike staying in a giant modern accommodation, we really felt that we were actually staying in Mexico! People were warm, friendly and always professional. I had been working in hospitality industry for a long time, so I could see that all the effort made by every single staff for all the details. - very impressive. I was very thankful being there.

Only two little points that I felt unfortunate. - 1. We loved food at the restaurant, yet, coffee could have been better. 2. Music was too laud from the bar in the next property ONLY Saturday night.

Over all, we enjoyed our stay very much, and would like to go back this place and city very soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank guro

Reviewed September 3, 2010

My wife and I spent 6 nights at this absolutely unique Bed and Breakfast. Every room is different in design and filled with beautiful antiques, any of which you can purchase if so inclined. Breakfasts (as well as lunch and dinners) were served in their flower and antique filled courtyard cafe and the menu was a gourmet's delight. While there we took 5 days (3 hours each day) of cooking lessons with one of the top young chefs, not only in Puebla but in Mexico (Alonso!). If there is anything to be forewarned about it is that live music in and around Mesones Sacristia which can be a bit loud on weekends (up until about midnight), but hey your in Mexico and if you must go to bed early a pair of ear plugs does the trick. The city of Puebla is also a gem and not at all touristy. We loved our stay there so much we've gathered up some friends and are going back for Round II of cooking lessons in January 2011. If you love authentic Mexican food, want to study cooking (or just hang out in a beautiful colonial city), and experience a truly unique cultural experience don't miss Mesones Sacristia and Chef Alonso.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJKuntze
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I just had five of the most incredible nights of my life in Puebla at Meson Sacristia..... The hotel surpassed my wildest expectations. Jorge, Lynette, Jonathan, Teresa and the rest of the incredible staff did everything possible to make my stay perfect. I knew the property would be beautiful - but it much more so than in the photographs. Jorge especially went above and beyond - incredible. The food was really outstanding...the best in Puebla. I spent four full days cooking with Alonso . I am a pretty experienced cook - but I learned not only amazing recipes - but working with Alonso improved my technique tenfold. Lisbet was an amazing assistant - went above and beyond to make my instruction perfect. I cannot wait to go back...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Just returned from a week in beautiful, colonial Puebla. Spent 6 nights at Meson Sacristia participating in the cooking classes offered by Chef Alonso Hernandez. Five, three hour cooking classes where you eat all the food you prepare for lunch. By the end of the week, not only had we learned to make incredible Mexican cuisine, we felt as if we had made wonderful new friends. Both Chef Alonso and his assistant Lizbeth taught us so much. The visit to the market with both of them was a true highlight. Stay at the beautiful hotel where you will be treated as family. If you can't stay for all 5 lessons, you can sign up for one or more.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Great place, and the food is delicius... special for couples looking for a nice place.. quiet, elegance and with class...btw No kids... there is not interesting place (and space) for childrens.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 19, 2010

My sister and I signed up for a week in Puebla, Mexico learning to cook traditional Mexican Food at Meson Sacristia de la Compania. We had no idea what to expect, other than being in the kitchen for three hours a day. The days flew by with the expert instruction of Chef Alonso and his trusty helper and translator Lisbet. The kitchen was perfect for teaching small groups and each day we made a different menu. I have quite a bit of culinary experience having worked in restaurants but my sister had very little and the class tended to be a bit basic, which was perfect for her although I was not at all bored myself. A highlight of the week was one day after class Alonso and Lisbet took us to the local market. We were able to see beautiful displays of fruits and vegetables, tons of dried chilis and a giant machine that made tortillas. They also helped us buy some of the ingredients that we would have trouble buying at home.
We got a package deal and stayed at the hotel also which was great. It has a lot of character and all the people who worked there were very friendly and professional. The hotel is also right in the center of the historic district so we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and get plenty of exercise to work off all the wonderful food we ate that week.
If I was to go to Puebla again the only thing I might change was the time of year we went. Puebla is at a very high altitude and we got some very cold weather, though everyone assured us it was very unusual to be that chilly. We brought plenty of warm clothes but I think early spring or late fall may have suited us better.
Since we have been home we have made many of the things from our trusty recipe books and it has all been excellent.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We concluded two weeks in Mexico with four days in Puebla staying at this exquisite hotel. We had a spectacular suite accompanied by great service and wonderful food. The hotel is intimate and its decor and style is perfect. Thank you.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple