“As good as advertised”

Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Puebla
Phoenix
“As good as advertised”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Stopped in Puebla for a couple days before attending a wedding in Veracruz. Based on Trip Advisor reviews and a lot of research, we selected this boutique hotel. It lived up to our expectations. Our room was particularly large and comfortable. The food is fantastic. Even though there a number of excellent restaurants in town, eat at least one meal here. Location was an easy walk to the plaza. And the staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. All in all, a wonderful stay. And so glad we took the time to see puebla - what a great city.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brooklyn
Reviewed October 29, 2009

A friend and I just returned from a wonderful stay at Meson Sacristia in Puebla, Mexico. We purchased the amazingly reasonable 5 day cooking class package, which included airport transport, breakfast, daily cooking classes followed by a lunch of our labors, dinners at the hotel, a massage, free entrance to the Amparo museum, and tours of a local food market, Puebla City, and nearby Cholula.
The package can be purchased directly from the hotel website.
Puebla is a Colonial gem. Lively, safe, inexpensive, easy to navigate, and welcoming, with spectacular cathedrals, great shopping, and fantastic local cusine.
Meson Sacristia is a beautifully restored Colonial mansion in the historic center, within walking distance of all important sights. The rooms, which overlook the light-filled inner courtyard restaurant, are filled with antiques and original details. Ask for a room that opens onto the street, and you'll have a little balcony to step out on. The inner rooms are not as light and open, but have "port holes" of stained glass that open onto the courtyard and back of the hotel. Not a problem for me at all.
Without exception, the hotel staff were helpful and gracious. Rarely have I felt so well taken care of.
Chef Alonso and PR Assistant/translator Lizbet were wonderful and patient teachers. The daily cooking classes were extremely well organized, stress-free, and fun. I've done my fare share of Mexican cooking at home, and have read a considerable amount about Mexican cuisine, but I did not find the classes overly elementary or complex - just right for a relaxing kitchen travel experience.
There are various cooking packages available, and Lizbet and the hotel staff are able to arrange a schedule to meet visitors' needs.
If you're considering Mexico as a travel destination, I highly recommend Puebla and Meson Sacristia.
Gracias Lizbet and Alonso for an unforgettable vacation!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I was in Puebla for a couple of days on business, and we had to choose between a smaller branch of a chain hotel or the Meson, and we decided to splash out. If you're going to do it, this is the place: the service was friendly, the rooms were great, and the location (two blocks off of the Plaza) can't be beat. Make sure to ask at the desk if you need help finding your way around.

We had heard the restaurant was really good, although neither of us were terribly hungry when we ate there (not a good thing - make sure you have an appetite if you try it).

The only quibble -- honestly? The walls were thick and it was hard to get cell phone reception inside. I'm not entirely certain that this is a drawback, however!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Khowaga
Merion Station
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I am not one for expensive hotels or all inclusive with meals. I decided to try this from a forum on tripadvisor. I checked out the website, and wanted to visit Puebla anyway. My wife always wanted to do cooking lessons, so I decided to go here.
Every employee was a delight to be around,,all showing respect. Our room was very different with antiques everywhere in the room. Our window opened to the dining room area which I thought was very cool.
Our package included breakfast and dinner, anything we wanted from the menu. We would rate the restaurant with a 5 star rating. Now the best for last. Chef Alonzo and Elizbeth guided us through 15 hours of cooking lessons. We learned most of the meals from soup to dessert,including drinks and also a special dance move from the chef when making margaritas,very important part of the recipe. One thing I didn't count on was eating what we made for lunch. So we actually had 3 meals most days.
We had transportation to and from the airport with Sr. Domingo. We had a couple of tours, including one to Cholulu. And we each had a relaxing 30 minute massage.
all in all it was a wonderful 7 nights and I would recommend this to all. Thank you Elisa for all the emails and for excellent public relations.

Barbara and Dave Stein
Merion,Pa. U.S.A

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I travel for a living and work in the tourism industry so when it comes to taking my own vacation I try to choose out of the ordinary destinations. I enjoy Mexico and cooking and after doing research I decided upon Meson Sacristia. During the planning process all of my e-mail correspondence and questions to the hotel were answered in a timely manner by Elisa.

Getting to Puebla is quite easy from the USA with Continental Airlines offering flights from Houston directly to the Puebla Airport. It is so much easier than flying into Mexico City. It was a rainy night when I arrived and I was met by the charming Gerardo who had been sent by the hotel to retrieve me. Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted warmly by the staff and given a fruity welcome cocktail. Check in was fast and efficient.

The hotel has eight rooms and I was staying in Master Suite #1 Cajonera. My suite was large and filled with antiques. It was very clean and even had a coffee maker and a plate of typical sweets made in Puebla. I found the bed to be comfortable and the room had air conditioning and a ceiling fan. While it is not hot in Puebla in August, I did appreciate having the convenience of air conditioning. The bathroom was adequate and I never had problems with water pressure or hot water. Keep in mind that this is a 250 year old property and for me it was a very charming and comfortable place to stay. The location can't be beat and is within walking distance of all of the historic center of Puebla.

I had purchased a cooking school package at Meson Sacristia. Upon my arrival I was notified that Chef Alonso, who was to be teaching the cooking class, was ill. I was quite disappointed since my main purpose of choosing this hotel and location was to attend cooking classes. Lizbet, the Public Relations representative, was very helpful and understanding and offered me alternatives to cooking classes. The hotel can arrange; painting classes, Talavera pottery making classes, photography classes and in suite spa services. Lizbet worked with me and I decided upon a walking city tour, an in suite massage and two cooking classes and a market trip with a different chef.

My private cooking classes with Chef Saul and Lizbet were wonderful. I speak spanish fluently and enjoyed my interactions with the staff. Chef Saul stressed safety and techniques in addition to teaching me how to cook authentic Mexican cuisine. The classes were very worthwhile, fun and educational. I was presented with a certificate, apron and cookbook upon completion.

All breakfasts and several dinners were included in my package. The restaurant, which is in the courtyard of the hotel, served delicious meals. The waiters were very professional and attentive. If you go during August, this is the season of Chiles En Nogada, a very special regional dish. The restaurant does an outstanding job on this dish. There is live music in the courtyard on the weekends but I did not find this to be disruptive and enjoyed the festive atmosphere.

As a woman traveling alone, I felt that the hotel staff went out of its way to make sure I was safe and cared for during my stay. I spent one week at Mesone Sacristia and I really hated to leave and hope to return as soon as possible. Puebla is a wonderful place to get away and to holiday without the throngs of tourists. I highly recommend this hotel and destination.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Livonia, MI
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We loved this hotel. My husband and I stayed here and the hotel staff was so wonderful to us. We were upgraded to a Master Suite and the room was gorgeous with a huge bed, nice bathroom, AC, and many other nice touches. During our trip, I must have drank some water because I got really sick and spent two days in bed. The hotel was very accommodating, helped us out, got us food, etc. Very attentive and personalized. Amazing colors.

If you are interested in a modern facility with a trendy bar, or something like that, I'd say this is not the place for you. If you want relaxing, authentic - then this is better.

If I had to name some downsides - bathroom door was really short, my husband knocked his head a number of times. Since I was sick, I really wanted something plain like cereal, but everything had chiles or sauce on it. I ate a lot of bread. Beds were hard and pillows were too big and hard, hurt our necks. However, we stayed at a this hotel and nH Puebla and friends stayed at Hotel Royalty and that seems to be a Mexico thing - all of them were like that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 20, 2009

What a lovely hotel in a lovely city!! We were here for a family wedding and every aspect of the trip was handled well. The rooms are each unique; some have small balconies opening on the street, ours had a window overlooking the covered courtyard. (You could hear some noise from below in our room, but was not overly loud at all.) There was quite a big step up into the bathroom in our room, Reliquia. The doorways can be a bit narrow as well. The bathroom is nicely appointed but is quite small. Colonial mansions didn't have such rooms I'm guessing, so they have done a nice job of shoe horning them in. Our room had an air conditioner in it that worked pretty well. Aside from the ambience, the main appeal of this hotel is the wonderful staff. Everyone was friendly and helpful. They provided several bottles of water in each room per day as well, a very welcome amenity. There was a festival going on at the time of our visit and there were fireworks going off at all hours, so be prepared for some noise if you are lucky enough to be here during one of those festivals. That really only adds to the fun of being someplace different than home!
We took a morning cooking class and it was very hands on and fun. Even as a professional cook I learned a few things and it was great to be working with such good ingredients.
Breakfast was included in our room rate and was always very good. Dinner there was also a great experience. Good service and good food, what more could a person want? The food they served at the wedding was top notch as well. Not at all what most of us expect at a wedding! They were very accomodating to our group.
I hope to return to Puebla someday and will hope that Mesones Sacristia has a room available for me!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family