“Extremely comfortable boutique hotel in great location”

Meson Sacristia de la Compania
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Puebla
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed two nights at this wonderful boutique hotel only a few blocks from the Zocalo. From the outside, which appears to be an ordinary residential building, you are not ready for the amazing interior which is full of antique trinkets mainly sited around an attractive courtyard. En suite bedrooms are comfortable rather than luxurious - there are no in-room safes, and are located on the first floor surrounding the courtyard where meals are served (also indoor tables). The food is excellent with many local specialities - do try one of the mole dishes as they are superb. Service is very good and in the evening live music is performed at the tables.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AnthonyIG

Reviewed January 25, 2014

A one-of-a-kind boutique hotel in walking distance to the Zócalo (central square) of Puebla. Enchanting house with great decor (just loved the colors and the antiqueties around), wonderfully helpful and hospitable people, excellent food, amazing atmosphere. Master room no. 1 is simply a jewel. I have already recommended this hotel and the restaurant to several friends in Puebla and D.F. -- possible one of the most enchanting places in all of Mexico!

Room Tip: No. 1 is spacious with great decor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
barsa, Manager at Meson Sacristia de la Compania, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Andreas.
We appreciate your feedback! it is really motivating for our staff.
Puebla forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Thank you very much.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The location is great, but it's old and falsely glamourous with too much junk around > creaky and inconvient and uncomfortable within one's room. Awkward to reach or for parking.
Excellent silver work just accross the raod.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being "on" the interior "food court" area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Andrew.
We appreciate your stay with us and also your comments.
We want to clarify that we have never claimed to be a luxury or glamorous hotel, we just seek to offer an experience that reflects the culture, architecture and cuisine of Puebla, in a setting decorated with antiques and based on the most famous street of Puebla.
Weekends access to the area is pedestrian, but there is special access for our guests and for your convenience we have valet parking.
Kindest regards.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We chose this hotel for two reasons: location and the old-hotel charm.
The location is great because you can walk a lot. Most of the big chain hotels in Puebla are not in pedestrian areas so you have to get cabs whereas this hotel is in the middle of the tourist and gastronomical sites in Puebla.
The hotel has a lot of charm, but if you do choose this place, know what to expect from refurbished antique houses- They are old, thus do not have many of the modern conveniences as other hotels (yes, they are dark, sometimes not well ventilated). It is also a restaurant so at lunch time and at dinner it can get noisy (not unbearable though). If you know what to expect you should have a great time here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hgmnz

Dear Hgmnz.
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Your review is very objective. We know that our hotel is not for everyone because we are adapted in a house over 250 years old.
Thanks for the comment about our location, we believe it is a great benefit to our customers to be located in the heart of Puebla's most famous street.
We hope to welcome you again very soon.
Receive a respectful greeting.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited this beautiful Boutique Hotel in a quick short visit to Puebla, México a couple of weeks ago following a british friend recommendation.
The place is unique, really charming, and the service was amazing.
The hotel is located in a refurbished old building (Masia as we say here in Spain) in the famous "Callejon de los Sapos" right in Puebla's downtown. Every room is different and decorated with antiques, which are available for sale (I loved this)!.
They have a very nice restaurant with typical food which was pretty good as well, but a bit spicy for me; however the other couple that went with us really loved the typical mexican dishes we had there.
The staff is really helpful and the whole atmoshphere of the place is simply unique.
If you want to get to know Mexican folklore and you want to try something different than the typical big chain hotel, this place is a "must".

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was hands down one of the top three most frustrating hotel experiences I have ever had. In terms of value for money, go elsewhere. This hotel certainly has the potential to be a great boutique experience but they have a long way to go.

The internet didn't work most of the time in my room, the toilet needed repair (one staff stated the room had problems with the toilet due to it being an old building), the meal I ordered came cold (but it was delicious once they could be bothered to heat it up), the room (#9) was dark with cheap fluorescent lights used on the bedside tables, and the #9 bathroom was small and dank relative to the price point of this establishment. Add to this, the hotel failed to mention that the so-called master suite they "upgraded" me to--after twice having to report problems with the toilet--was adjacent to a club that kept me up till 3am! I called the front desk twice about the noise in the middle of the night and got the "Disculpe señorita...." I admit I didn't take the conversation any further because by that time I was furious. That the staff couldn't be bothered to take this into consideration before moving me, and at minimum warn me, is beyond my understanding. Then what better to be awoken at the crack of dawn from people banging on downstairs doors and the general noise of this hotel (sound travels very well in this establishment) and I barely got four hours of sleep. So much for coming to to this highly-rated hotel for a relaxing weekend.

I expect far more from a hotel that claims to be 4-star experience.

The absolute worst, however, was getting to the hotel. It was a complete and utter nightmare due to the sheer incompetence of the hotel staff. What should have been no more than a 2-2.5 hour drive from Mexico City took OVER four hours. I travelled with an iPhone, GPS, and iPad -- all of which were useless since no one could be bothered to provide me with a clear directions. One female employee told me to go to Calle Cinco de Mayo. When I asked her what street number to use she claimed I didn't need one. Thanks to her, I ended up in a barrio miles away!! I asked her and another employee for the name of a nearby hotel so I could plug it into the GPS (which had tons of hotels on it), to at least get near the vicinity. They were incapable of providing such basic information. I emailed the hotel prior to leaving Mexico City about their location. It took them over five hours to respond and by that time I had no internet access.

Only after being lost for over 1.5 hours and literally yelling and screaming at the reception manager, something I loathe to do, did it finally seem I would get help. He told me to find a taxi to follow to the hotel. I was in a barrio with hardly any taxis, and it was the kindness of a stranger that saved me. He spoke to the reception manager and drove around with me to find a taxi.

I lost the entire afternoon I had hoped to spend in Puebla because the staff at this hotel are so poorly trained and managed that they cannot even lead you to where they are. I emailed the hotel requesting the name and contact information of the hotel owner--to provide feedback based on my experience--but got no response to my request thus far.

Needless to say I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
barsa, Manager at Meson Sacristia de la Compania, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear customer.
Thank you very much for your remarks .
We have instructed our staff since this review always clearly the hotel name and address , as this is important for any gps, google maps, waze , foursquare or even our web page appears our location just 1 block from the zocalo of Puebla. We always recommend in the confirmation paper, getting a taxi once you are in the city, who can guide them to avoid situations similar to yours.
On the other hand , we would like to comment that we do not use cheap bulbs in the hotel , We seek some more efficient energy, so we install LED bulbs , especially on side tables of the bed, but your Room also features a cental system bulbs halogen .
We also apologize for the noise made ​​by a stranger property that night,. we have made efforts to prevent this situation from happening again.
Thank you again for your comments and we would like to offer a personal apology. We repeatedly sending emails to the email you provided, but were never answered .
Receive a greeting.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Well situated charming antique furnished hotel . The entrance is like an antique shop and then one steps into the colourful courtyard & dining area which has great ambiance .
The different colours of the buildings in the street add to this charming Mexican establishment .

The restaurant is good but should you be there during the Nogada season ,its an absolute must
rich & full of flavours & dare I say one of the most delicious Mexican dishes ...

Only downside was we found the bathroom a little small but the room was large and antique furnished gives it some old age charm .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends