“A magic place in a magic city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meson Sacristia de la Compania

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Meson Sacristia de la Compania
Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Puebla
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“A magic place in a magic city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited this beautiful Boutique Hotel in a quick short visit to Puebla, México a couple of weeks ago following a british friend recommendation.
The place is unique, really charming, and the service was amazing.
The hotel is located in a refurbished old building (Masia as we say here in Spain) in the famous "Callejon de los Sapos" right in Puebla's downtown. Every room is different and decorated with antiques, which are available for sale (I loved this)!.
They have a very nice restaurant with typical food which was pretty good as well, but a bit spicy for me; however the other couple that went with us really loved the typical mexican dishes we had there.
The staff is really helpful and the whole atmoshphere of the place is simply unique.
If you want to get to know Mexican folklore and you want to try something different than the typical big chain hotel, this place is a "must".

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was hands down one of the top three most frustrating hotel experiences I have ever had. In terms of value for money, go elsewhere. This hotel certainly has the potential to be a great boutique experience but they have a long way to go.

The internet didn't work most of the time in my room, the toilet needed repair (one staff stated the room had problems with the toilet due to it being an old building), the meal I ordered came cold (but it was delicious once they could be bothered to heat it up), the room (#9) was dark with cheap fluorescent lights used on the bedside tables, and the #9 bathroom was small and dank relative to the price point of this establishment. Add to this, the hotel failed to mention that the so-called master suite they "upgraded" me to--after twice having to report problems with the toilet--was adjacent to a club that kept me up till 3am! I called the front desk twice about the noise in the middle of the night and got the "Disculpe señorita...." I admit I didn't take the conversation any further because by that time I was furious. That the staff couldn't be bothered to take this into consideration before moving me, and at minimum warn me, is beyond my understanding. Then what better to be awoken at the crack of dawn from people banging on downstairs doors and the general noise of this hotel (sound travels very well in this establishment) and I barely got four hours of sleep. So much for coming to to this highly-rated hotel for a relaxing weekend.

I expect far more from a hotel that claims to be 4-star experience.

The absolute worst, however, was getting to the hotel. It was a complete and utter nightmare due to the sheer incompetence of the hotel staff. What should have been no more than a 2-2.5 hour drive from Mexico City took OVER four hours. I travelled with an iPhone, GPS, and iPad -- all of which were useless since no one could be bothered to provide me with a clear directions. One female employee told me to go to Calle Cinco de Mayo. When I asked her what street number to use she claimed I didn't need one. Thanks to her, I ended up in a barrio miles away!! I asked her and another employee for the name of a nearby hotel so I could plug it into the GPS (which had tons of hotels on it), to at least get near the vicinity. They were incapable of providing such basic information. I emailed the hotel prior to leaving Mexico City about their location. It took them over five hours to respond and by that time I had no internet access.

Only after being lost for over 1.5 hours and literally yelling and screaming at the reception manager, something I loathe to do, did it finally seem I would get help. He told me to find a taxi to follow to the hotel. I was in a barrio with hardly any taxis, and it was the kindness of a stranger that saved me. He spoke to the reception manager and drove around with me to find a taxi.

I lost the entire afternoon I had hoped to spend in Puebla because the staff at this hotel are so poorly trained and managed that they cannot even lead you to where they are. I emailed the hotel requesting the name and contact information of the hotel owner--to provide feedback based on my experience--but got no response to my request thus far.

Needless to say I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
barsa, Manager at Meson Sacristia de la Compania, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear customer.
Thank you very much for your remarks .
We have instructed our staff since this review always clearly the hotel name and address , as this is important for any gps, google maps, waze , foursquare or even our web page appears our location just 1 block from the zocalo of Puebla. We always recommend in the confirmation paper, getting a taxi once you are in the city, who can guide them to avoid situations similar to yours.
On the other hand , we would like to comment that we do not use cheap bulbs in the hotel , We seek some more efficient energy, so we install LED bulbs , especially on side tables of the bed, but your Room also features a cental system bulbs halogen .
We also apologize for the noise made ​​by a stranger property that night,. we have made efforts to prevent this situation from happening again.
Thank you again for your comments and we would like to offer a personal apology. We repeatedly sending emails to the email you provided, but were never answered .
Receive a greeting.
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Well situated charming antique furnished hotel . The entrance is like an antique shop and then one steps into the colourful courtyard & dining area which has great ambiance .
The different colours of the buildings in the street add to this charming Mexican establishment .

The restaurant is good but should you be there during the Nogada season ,its an absolute must
rich & full of flavours & dare I say one of the most delicious Mexican dishes ...

Only downside was we found the bathroom a little small but the room was large and antique furnished gives it some old age charm .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Azzurriblu
Cancun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I loved everything about this hotel ( though bathroom was cute but a little spooky) its in a great location from which to explore the historic district. Bed was really comfy. Breakfast was good. Staff helpful. Interesting place to stay and terrace was lovely to sit and have a drink.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CUNKEN
barsa, General Manager at Meson Sacristia de la Compania, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest.
We are pleased that your stay met your expectations.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in Puebla in the near future.
We would be happy that we did know to my email leobardo@mesones-sacristia.com in order to assist you personally.
Yours sincerely
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very nice hotel. Very clean and very nice location. Two blocks away from zocalo and catedral.
The only issue was that the water pressure in the shower was kind of low. Other than that everything was fine. The food in the hotel's restaurant is great.

Room Tip: The suite has way more space and the price is almost the same than a regular room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ctapiau
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. While there, we took part in a several day cooking class. The cooking classes were perfect - fun, educational, hands-on. Lizbet, who assisted with interpretation during the cooking classes, was great too.
Before visiting Puebla, I contacted Carlos Rivero to arrange my private airport transportation and several tours in Puebla. Carlos was excellent. If you need a private guide in Puebla, I would highly recommend Carlos Rivero.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luxury1Georgia
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The location, decoration, colors and rooms are just beautiful, the restaurant delicious, service formidable.

This place is just great! The building is an 1700's house but that doesn't reflect in the installations, hot water is always available, AC works well, day light and street noise isolation in rooms.

Went with my wife for the wedding night and a couple of extra days before the actual honey moon and we really enjoyed it, we are definitely going back.

Jorge in the front desk and Eli the concierge are just very helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: The "Reclinatorio" room is the best with street view, isolated from street noise and day-l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple