“Wonderful Hotel in Puebla”

Presidente InterContinental Puebla
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Puebla
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Every time I have traveled to Puebla, the Presidente has always been my choice of hotels to stay. I have stayed at other but have found the Presidente to meet my every need. My only concern was the restaurant. It was not up to the standard I am use to and I felt overpriced. I did eat take dinner a couple of times at the more upscale restaurant and found it to my liking. My next visit, I plan to stay in one of the suites that the hotel has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
GuillermoStankiewicz, Director General at Presidente InterContinental Puebla, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this review with all Trip advisor readers and for all the valuable comments you’ve provided in it. We hope to have the opportunity to server you in a near future

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited recently on a business trip and was very impressed by the service. The internet connection was quite fast, much faster than in other hotels that I have visited. I did not use the swimming pool, the weather was somewhat cool in this time of the year, and I did not have time to go to the exercise room.

My room on the first floor was quite comfortable and I did not consider the air conditioning to be noisy.

The offer included the buffet breakfast and I really enjoyed it, especially the really nice papaya juice, as well as the fresh strawberry juice. They have a green juice that includes orange juice, celery and nopal that is really delicious. There was always fresh fruit: mango, cantaloupe, papaya, and watermelon. They also included a variety of cheeses and hams. Overall the breakfast offered the opportunity to go the usual ham, eggs, bacon route; a healthy route with fruits and juices, and a third option based on mexican alternatives. I enjoyed the mashed black beans several times (an excellent option for high protein diets), and some of the beef based alternatives. The corn tamal was also excellent. They also include a number of spices and salsas that I tried and really enjoyed.

We went to dinner at "La Cocina de los Angeles" restaurant (same place where breakfast is served) a couple of times. I can recommend the mole poblano (quite delicious) as well as their jumbo shrimp with garlic sauce. I can also recommend their cerveza michelada, and the different soups that they served.

Overall this hotel met all requirements, and provided some really tasty food.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is truly rewarding to know that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with our food options, Comments like yours are our inspiration for success and new achievements. Allow me to let you know that all your comments will be taken in consideration to exceed your expectations in a near future. We look forward to welcome you home!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The reception in the Hotel was kind and friendly. My room was well equipped. But AC was very noisy, the bathroom was clean but no space for any belongings. The fitness room /Gym was in a bad condition. There are two threatmills, one is approximately 30 years old and the other one is not working. The rowing machine is defect and the powerstation is partly dangerous. I made my Training in the morning but it was no fun... I could not use the pool which was always closed. In the Night I received two phonecalls from the reception without any reason. Furthermore one staff member knocked in my door early in the morning and asked me if my AC well working.

The breakfast was ok but nothing special - you are in Mexiko and they served no mexican breakfast... Fresh fruits were served but always empty.

The Check-Out needed plenty of time. Next time I will stay in Marriott Hotel, Puebla, which is much better!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GuillermoStankiewicz, Director General at Presidente InterContinental Puebla, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor Community following your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff. We take every comment very seriously. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not having been able to exceed your expectations in all aspects of your recent stay here with us. All of your comments have been shared with pertaining departments in order to be addressed.
We sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you all back in the near future

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Went there for my December Vacation , for Christmas Eve (Spent New Years Eve at another Hotel). The place is gorgeous. The architectures is just astonishing. The service is not that great though. The restaurants are nbot very good, except for Alfredo Di Roma , which is quite good , but rather expensive. The pool sucks. The TV programming is poor as hell, there is almost nothing to watch on TV and english programming is scarce to say the least. At least the place is nice to look at.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuillermoStankiewicz, Director General at Presidente InterContinental Puebla, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you very much for bringing to my attention details of your recent at the Presidente Intercontinental Puebla experience. It really concerned me to see all the multiple inconveniences you faced during your stay. Please let me assure you that our only goal day by day is the comfort of our guests and everyone is doing their greatest effort to make our guests feel welcome and create memories. Let me assure you that your valuable feedback has helped us improve our service significantly. We truly hope to have the opportunity to present you the improvements made due to your help.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Two simple words for an excellent hotel in a town that offers a lot to the visitor. The traveller is greeted by a wonderful staff upon arrival and then quickly checked into a comfortable room. The place is quite and offers much to anyone that wants an enjoyable moment.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
GuillermoStankiewicz, Director General at Presidente InterContinental Puebla, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Mr. Araujo. It is a real pleasure to read your review, and to know that your stay with us was enjoyable. Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with others traveler´s. Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you to your home away from home!. Regards.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is close to the toll highway but a distance from downtown, however a taxi ride downtown is only 50 pesos ($4.00). The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the layout of the hotel is interesting and pleasant. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and the TV channel selection excellent. We were unhappy with the Front Desk staff because three times our electronic room key failed, requiring a return to the Front Desk and not once did we get an apology for the inconvenience. It was clear the staff could care less. Two nights we ate in the hotel restaurant. The food is very good and the service acceptable. Both nights, however, when we ordered a bottle of wine, a different waiter than ours returned to say they didn't have what I had ordered (I ordered a different wine each night) but offered another selection. When the other choice was offered, price was not mentioned by the waiter. Both nights, when I asked the price, it was double the cost of the wine I had originally ordered. On the second night, we went to the hotel bar for a nightcap and the same thing occured on a Tequila order. When we refused the more expensive offer and opted for a beer, the bartender found the Tequila we had originally ordered. This may all be an unfortunate coincidence but it is suspicious and I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Weerobbie
GuillermoStankiewicz, Director General at Presidente InterContinental Puebla, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Weerobie: Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay with us. We are extremely concerned to read about the inconveniences mentioned within your review and please rest assured that all your comments have been shared with the involved departments.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future to demonstrate the high levels of service and quality that we are known for.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

POSITIVES

• Large room. King bed. Coffee maker in room (coffee below average in terms of taste). Iron & ironing board in room. Large flat screen TV. I think 5 station channels in English. Wifi. Mini-bar (usual high pricing – but after 9 hours on an ADO bus it was worth it).
• Air conditioner was effective and warmed the room.
• 3 security guards at night.
• Reception staff professional, know the hotel systems and had good English.
• Lobby is large and impressive (however it can get cold – reception staff had their hands in their pockets when they were talking to me – which I thought was odd – but it turned out that it was to conceal their gloves). Overnight hot coffee is provided in reception.
• Plenty of (supervised) parking at the front of the hotel.

NEGATIVES

• Lamp not working in room. Bathroom scales not working. Bathroom light with intermittent fault. Lavatory seat is a cheap replacement that is too small. Bathroom sink takes about 15 minutes to empty. For a hotel in this price bracket I expect the details to be right. (They aren’t after all short of staff).
• Lighting not intuitive to operate – feels like is has been designed by a control freak who doesn’t think about users. Large numbers of switches on the wall – some of which don’t appear to do anything.
• On my first night I was cold and there was no spare blanket / duvet. Remedied second night.
• The desk chair was made of an iron frame (very heavy to move) with a cushion – not very comfortable for work. I would have preferred a standard office chair.
• There is an armchair in the room – it is loosely upholstered in plain brown and overall looks very shabby.
• The door to my room fits badly – there is a gap of 8mm between the door and the frame. Sound transmission from the corridor to my room is high. This is helped by a hard tiled corridor (even Holiday Inns have carpets!).
• Hotel is not near much that is useful: restaurants and site-seeing involve a journey via taxi (MEX$50 – plus the usual push for more money). There is a Walmart half a mile away. There are 2 on-site restaurants : pricey but not out of line with TripAdvisor top 5 restaurants.
• Breakfast was expensive MEX $210 (this happens to be more than 3 times the average daily wage in Mexico). The eggs were cold (I was the first diner down at 06:35). There was no cereal offered. The most of the fruit wasn’t ripe. For this price I would expect the details to be right. I was asked my room number 3 times. The waiter with the coffee was good – I managed 3 (small) cups – it was good coffee.
• The wifi dropped a several times a day and a number of sites reported a slow connection. Radio (my big weakness) was particularly vulnerable to dropping – even when on low band width settings. On Friday evening only basic pages would load – effectively no internet available. Up loading a file to my work server took 11 minutes – it takes 30 seconds when I am at home. Google Maps very slow. I have speed tested the connection and it shows high connection speeds – so I conclude that there is something more complex happening with this connection. But the service is not what I expect in any hotel – never mind one of this class.

CONCLUSION

This is an OK place to stay. It certainly doesn’t live up to the brand image and the (very nice) reception space. The extras are very expensive and many of the details don’t work. The hotel needs a properly organized maintenance program. In terms of basic services and the room it isn’t as good as the Holiday Inns I have stayed in during this trip. Reception staff were good and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1250 - smelly lavatory