“Nothing special - maybe I ordered the wrong food.”

Los Dorados de Villa
Ranked #4 of 139 Restaurants in Zacatecas
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Santiago, Mexico
“Nothing special - maybe I ordered the wrong food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

I went here with friends, some from Zacatecas, who assured me the food was great. I ordered the red posole, which wasn't great at all. I tasted the green posole, which was much better. I also sampled some of the enchiladas my wife ordered; they were good, but not better than we've had elsewhere.

It was a holiday weekend, and the restaurant was very crowded. When we arrived, several disgruntled would-be customers were just walking away, and they complained to us that the restaurant management had not honored their reservation. We had no problem, however, with the reservation for our sizable group.

Cool birds in the bathroom.

• Visited October 2011

Chapala, Mexico
“Outstanding meal and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Four of us went and we loved this place. The best meal at our table was the enchiladas valentinas. Almost all of the entrees were enchiladas and tacos. They also serve a good pozole. The bunuelos were not very good. There was also a corncake with rompope for desert which was quite good. The house mezcal was excellent, very smooth and we bought it at a local liquor store the next day because it was so good.

The service was outstanding. Reservations are a must. It is locked when you get to the front door and you have to ring a bell to get in (we found it hard to find the bell- it is high to the right of the front door under a little spoon). The restaurant feels very festive. Just about five blocks from main plaza. It would be difficult to have a large group here.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Barbara W
San Diego, California
“Big Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

We were excited to try this restaurant because the reviews were so favorable. It is by reservation only--you have to ring a buzzer to be admitted. We were there at 7pm on a Monday night and there were only 2 other couples in the restaurant. The 2 waiters were at a back table eating and couldn't be bothered. The tortilla chips tasted like rice crackers. My husband ordered Enchiladas Zacatecas and they were good but nothing special. I order Enchiladas Traditional and it was the worst meal I had during our 5 days in Zacatecas. The chicken was thigh meat and it was disgusting, red and slimy. Maybe we came on an off night but I left feeling nauseous.

7 Thank SanDiegoBJ
Louisville, Kentucky
“One of the best in Zacatecas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

If you have no map nor address for this place just ask a local. We had read the reviews on this restaurant on Trip Advisor and was determined to try it, but we couldn't find it in the phone book and we had no map. We were about to settle for Garafu, #2 on Trip Advisor and quite a bit more expensive, plus it served Argentinean and not Zacatecan. However, on the day we were planning to eat there we took the tour of Mina El Eden and on the way back, our guide highly recommended Los Dorados and raved over thier enchiladas. He dropped us off at the Mask Museum and instructed us that afterward we walk up the street one block and turn left. It would be in the middle of that block. It was. We were there at 2:45, just wanting drinks, but as it approaced the 3 p.m. opening hour the plaza and the sidewalk in front of Los Dorados filled up. We knew we wouldn't be able to occupy a table just for drinks.

When everyone else had been let in, we asked for a dinner reservation for 7 and went back to our hotel to rest after having walked 5 hours. When we arrived a bit early that evening, we were courteously led to our reserved table. The decor was typically Mexican middle class and quite charming.

We both ordered enchiladas, my husband's with cheese and chicken and a rich cream sauce of peanuts and chipotles; mine with a rich cream and poblano sauce. I think there were five on each of our plates so there was no room to try the bunuelos. But, we will definitely be back to Zacatecas and Los Dorados. Reservations are absolutely a must.

I might have considered this the best of Zacatecas if we hadn't eaten at La Leyenda on Matamoros next door to La Finca Hotel. That's our #1 choice with great Zacatecan choices on their menu.

Elmhurst, Illinois
“Excellent local cuisine..........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

I agree with the previous review. We were recently on vacation in Mexico and spent two days in beautiful Zacatecas. On our last evening we dined at this excellent restaurant. My husband and I ordered the arrachera (skirt steak), delicious. The plate included salad, refried beans and rice. All very good. The bunuelos are to die for. Try them, they are addictive. I am afraid I will never have the opportunity to enjoy them again. It seems like we will have to go back to Mexico soon!!! Our hotel, Santa Rita, made the reservation for us, and it was needed. We saw several people trying to get in without reservation and were turned down. Our waiter was very helpful and explained everything from the menu.

The place is very quaint and they even had a pianist playing beautiful music. We had a very enjoyable meal and evening. Very reasonably priced. We walked fro the Hotel Santa Rita, abou at 15 minute walk. We highly recommend it!