“Architecturally beautiful, secure, immaculate, well-stocked, comfortable apt.”
Review of Casa Baden-Powell

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Morelia
Casa Baden-Powell
Los Angeles
“Architecturally beautiful, secure, immaculate, well-stocked, comfortable apt.”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Behind security doors are 8 fabulous, spotlessly clean, well-stocked apartments. We stayed in C which was in the back on the bottom floor so it was very quiet and cool. There was milk and Coca Cola in the refrigerator, a bottle of wine on the dining table, and all the spices we needed. There were books, a CD player, flat screen TV with cable, plenty of hangers and hot water with lots of pressure. There's a rooftop terrace as well as a shady courtyard where you can sit and chat with the friends you will meet during your stay. The location is great for a walk to the cathedral or the grand mercados. You don't have to go to the Baden-Powell Language School to stay in the apartments, but if you do decide to study Spanish, the school is a short 2 blocks away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RandKLosAngeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I recently stayed in the Baden-Powell apartments for two months. In addition to being clean, modern, comfortable, and attractive, they are centrally located in historic downtown Morelia. The owners, Gabriel and Eugenio Cortes, are warm hosts, very attentive to the needs of their renters. Their language school (just around the block) is very professional--be sure to visit the Conversation Club every night from 6-7pm to practice your espanol and help locals with their English!

These apartments are indeed the bargain of the city--you can do whatever cooking you'd like to do in order to save some money, and the rent is very reasonable. But take advantage of the lovely restaurants in Morelia, too--Pablo's, anything in the Portales, Fonda las Mercedes, Juaninos, el Cafe del Conservatorio, and many more, all walkable. The colorful San Juan market is only several blocks away.

I've always thought that Morelia is the best kept secret in Mexico--wonderful art and architecture, a great cafe scene, rich musical traditions, plenty of handicrafts and folklore, friendly citizens, and efficient public transportation (try the "combis"--the vans that follow specific routes for only 5 pesos a ride). And the indigenous region of Patzcuaro is only 45 minutes away by bus or cab, a don't miss for the Day of the Dead!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Elliot Lake, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2010

The B-P Apartments were recommended to us by friends and on Trip Advisor. We were a group of eight women travelling to Morelia and many towns nearby. It was a great place to stay. As said before, clean, comfortable, quiet, well stocked and near everything you would want to see in downtown Morelia. It was easy negotiating for our stay and when we thought one apartment may be too small for a week's stay for four, an additional apartment was made available at low cost. You would not be disappointed staying here.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank LoveToTravelMazatlan
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We stayed nearly a month in one of these apartments, took a week of classes at Baden-Powell, and were altogether delighted by and impressed with the experience. The courtesy, kindness, and ready assistance extended us by the Cortes brothers, who are fluently bilingual, were extraordinary. The apartment was roomy and comfortable; the building is centrally located within walking distance of parks and the cathedral. A friend who had stayed there the year before recommended the apartment to us, and I am likewise recommending it to you!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monarca
Cloverdale, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We recently spent 8 days at the Baden-Powell apartments while exploring Morelia. These apartments are available to rent by students and non-students of the nearby Baden-Powell Institute.

Everything about our visit to the Baden-Powell apartments in Morelia was terrific. Easy to make reservations, an ideal location in the historical centre of town, walking distance to all the sights and market, well-appointed (including wireless internet and cable tv), clean, comfortable, quiet, and affordable accommodation, and very attentive owners who went above and beyond to warmly welcome us and make our trip to Morelia a great one.

We would recommend B-P to anyone looking to spend time exploring Morelia - there's so much to see and discover and you'd be hard pressed to find such great value for accommodation right in the middle of town.

Also, we heard nothing but great things about the quality of teaching at the B-P Institute from other visitors, and think we need to go back again and sign up for some classes next time!

• Liked — Quality, comfort, and location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chciago
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I stayed at the Baden-Powell apartments in July 2008 and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I loved this centrally located, quiet, roomy, modern, and clean apartment. The owners, Eugenio and Gabriel Cortes, are friendly, responsive, and meticulous about every detail, ensuring that your stay is comfortable and problem free. The furniture was clearly chosen with great care, and I appreciated the amenities like the filtered water and cable TV. The kitchen has every appliance you could need and is stocked with plenty of dishes and cooking utensils. All you need to do is bring home your groceries from the Republica or Independencia market! My favorite part of the apartment was the upstairs terrace, which is a tranquil respite from the city's activity.

From the location of these apartments, you can easily walk to any of Morelia's numerous restaurants, shops, or attractions. I adore the city because it is still largely undiscovered by Americans, and there is a free cultural event nearly every day. While you're staying at the Baden-Powell apartments you should definitely consider taking Spanish classes at Gabriel and Eugenio's language school, which is just around the corner. I have studied at two other language schools in Mexico and Baden-Powell is by far the best. In fact, I liked it so much I went twice. The school is professionally run, the teachers are well trained, and the administration makes sure you are in a class appropriate to your level. Above all, the whole staff is friendly--I enjoyed returning to the school and feeling known.

• Stayed July 2008
Kentucky
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I have been very impressed with the quality of instruction at the Baden Powell Institute on the 3 occasions that I studied Spanish there. The last time that I attended the school in May 2008, I stayed at one of their apartments. I found that the quality and care I experienced at the school, was duplicated at the apartments. When I arrived late in the evening, Gabriel escorted me to the apartment. I found it to be neat and very clean, with everything I needed to have a nice stay. I was also surprized to find some special extras that really impressed me. The apartments are centrally located in a very beautiful city, and the owners are responsive to your needs, and will do everything possible to make your stay there a pleasant one.

The next time I visit Morelia, I will certainly request to stay at the Baden Powell apartments again.

• Liked — very clean, responsive owners, centrally located
  • Disliked — nothing....everything was great
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank peregrino2005