All reviews language school these apartments living area fully equipped kitchen comfortable bed other guests institute norte teacher unit cathedral pesos
Reviewed December 9, 2011

For 2 winters I attended the Baden Powell school to study Spanish and lived with a family. The following year I returned to Morelia as I wanted my husband to see this wonderful city. So I booked the Baden Powell apartments. Our apartment was beautifully decorated but simple with Mexican art. The furnishings were very comfortable and the kitchen worked very well. There is a fabulous market in Morelia where you can get all kinds of good things to eat and try. We loved bringing home fresh fish, vegetables, desserts and eating in our apartment. Then going out to the roof terrace to enjoy the views. There is free wireless as well.

Eugenio Cortes and Regina from the school are wonderful hosts. Eugenio runs a walking tour of the city and he is a man who knows his history. Highly educated, excellent English, gracious and polite , the tour is a really good way to discover this very historic and beautiful city.

Eugenio runs the Spanish school and its worth a visit to the school as well.

When I visited on my own in previous years to study Spanish I always felt safe, even walking home from the centro historico under the bright lights at night. Its unfortunate that a kind of hysteria has developed over mexico. Morelia is very much a city of families, music, culture, history, wonderful food and markets and close to interesting sites, including the monarch butterflies. We also went to a soccer game which was great fun.

Date of stay: January 2011
5  Thank helensadowski
Reviewed August 24, 2011

When you can stay in a small apartment near the centre of town that is modern, clean, secure and friendly why would you stay anywhere else ? We rented a one bedroom apartment for a week and the experience was excellent

Date of stay: September 2010
1  Thank junkscience89
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I'm writing this review to let everyone know that not only is this a great place to stay, but also that the travel advisory issued by the US State Dept should be ignored unless you intend to travel to one of the smaller towns Michoacan where the narcos are a strong presence. As a tourist in Morelia you have nothing to worry about because not only does the familia Michoacana only target those they know, but the state of Michoacan and in particular Morelia is now incredibly reinforced with police.
As a Canadian I was bit put off by the strong police presence which is so different from my country, but after having been in this state for almost ten months I realized that it's a different culture here (sort of like Texas) the presence of police with guns is much more accepted.
As to theBaden Powell apartments in Morelia, I've been here for 10 days and it's so great! The kitchen is well equipped (actually more appliances than I need) , the mattress and pillows the best in Mexico so far, the wifi works well and best of all I love walking just a block around the corner for fresh baking, making coffee and then opening my bedroom windows and watching the hummingbirds feasting on the wild flowers growing on the roof across the street. Did I mention that the Baden Powell cafe has great take out coffee if you can't be bothered making your own!!

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank calie
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This is a fantastic "apartment" building where you can have your own good size one bedroom and up apartment for a reasonable price. After travelling in hotels for a while you can really appreciate staying here and enjoying the new, clean, rooms with a great firm king size mattress.

Basically this is a large home converted into apartments. The hosts are gracious and professional and you never see them. The other guests are around when you need to bump into someone on the terrace, otherwise it is dead quiet and peaceful.

We stayed for 3 nights only which is shorter than most people who stay here for a week or more while attending the school

It's a great bargain and I highly recommend this place if you are ready to stay some where quiet and peaceful, but still be just a few blocks from the center of town.

Date of stay: March 2010
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Behind security doors are 8 fabulous, spotlessly clean, well-stocked apartments. We stayed in C which was in the back on the bottom floor so it was very quiet and cool. There was milk and Coca Cola in the refrigerator, a bottle of wine on the dining table, and all the spices we needed. There were books, a CD player, flat screen TV with cable, plenty of hangers and hot water with lots of pressure. There's a rooftop terrace as well as a shady courtyard where you can sit and chat with the friends you will meet during your stay. The location is great for a walk to the cathedral or the grand mercados. You don't have to go to the Baden-Powell Language School to stay in the apartments, but if you do decide to study Spanish, the school is a short 2 blocks away.

Date of stay: April 2010