“Old world charm and new world convenience”

Casona Rosa, Morelia
Ranked #1 of 49 Morelia B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My partner and I just stayed one night in the Patzcuaro Suite in September of 2011, but we were impressed by the charming rooms and helpful staff. Maria was efficient and expert in getting us oriented to the city, and the owner, Rose, provided knowledgeable suggestions for restaurants and day-trips in the area. The Patzcuaro Suite is one of the oldest in the rambling house, with gorgeous high ceilings, exposed vigas and what appear to be original windows and doors. We slept in utter silence, such a rarity for Mexico, on a very comfortable queen-sized bed. Each of the two rooms has its own bed (the other has a king or two twins -- just let them know what you want), and both have simple, tasteful furnishings enlivened by the occasional Katrina. Wireless internet was available in both rooms, and the smaller one has a television set which we never got around to watching. The "feel" of this suite is like a little piece of colonial history that has miraculously survived to the 21st century, and the price is hard to beat -- even in Mexico!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Fredster42

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Only stayed for one night but wish it could have been longer. A lovely relaxing place to stay in a great location. Maria couldn't have been more helpful & cooked a fantastic breakfast.

1  Thank Eisgrub
Reviewed August 26, 2011

A great place to stay, especially if you will be in Morelia for a while. Rose and Maria make you feel right at home as soon as you arrive. The rooms are well appointed and there is a fully equipped kitchen at your disposal. You couldn't ask for a better location, just minutes away from downtown and with all the amenities you could need close by. I would stay here again in a second!

1  Thank Melanie H
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I just returned from Morelia where two friends and I stayed at Casa Rosa for a full month. I cannot explain just how lovely the accommodations were, nor can I express how very hospitable Rose (owner) and Maria (manager) are...but I will try!

It took approximately 5 minutes for us all to feel at home at Casa Rosa, and by the end of our stay, we felt like family. Maria greeted us at the door upon our arrival and showed us to our rooms. We were all charmed by the place from the very start; Rose and Maria have done a spectacular job decorating each and every room and adorning the patio with leafy green plants. It is beautiful! My friend and I stayed in the Patzcuaro room which had two twin beds, and our other friend stayed next door in a very grand room with a very large bed. We all shared the common room (with comfortable couches, a TV, and a computer), the kitchenette (with coffee maker, water boiler, fridge, dishes, etc), a large bathroom (with aromatic eucalyptus branches in the shower!), and the relaxing outdoor patio.

Not only were we very comfortable sleeping and relaxing in our rooms, but we were totally taken care of by Rose and Maria. Rose was so excited to have us as guests/family members for a month and she spent a whole day walking with us around the city of Morelia, pointing out the best markets, restaurants, craft shops, and coffee shops. Maria had the answer to every question we asked and often made phone calls for us to make things even easier for us! No travel guide needed when you stay here!

You should also know that Maria is a wonderful cook! She made special burritos and guacamole for us one night, and for breakfast she made chilaquiles and caldo de heuvos. I highly recommend you indulge in Maria's cooking while visiting Casa Rosa.

This is a perfect place to stay, especially if you are in Morelia for an extended stay. It is within a 5 minute walk of the city center (where the big cathedral is) and surrounded by delicious bakeries, juice/sandwich shops (Malaga is one of the best!), and markets. Also it's far enough away from the center that you will get peaceful sleep every night.

I hope to go back soon, but if you get there before me, tell Rose and Maria that I said "Hola!"

1  Thank Shayna_Maine
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Once upon a time in Morelia, we three English teachers from the state of Maine were transformed by our experience at 274 Calle Galena. I hope that sounds like a fairy tale beginning because our month long stay at La Casona Rosa in Morelia centro was royal indeed. From the crimson grandeur of our Patzcuaro suite accommodations to the absolute attention paid to us by Rosa and her able staff, our four week adventure was perfect in every way. Three princesses from Maine we were. Fed well and often by Maria, driven on inspiring excursions to villages of local artisans by Jesus, and most personal of all watched over by Rose to ensure we had everything we needed. Everything? Yes, right down to Mama Rose enthusiastically recruiting students for our classes, waiting up for us when we lingered late over nightly conversations with our students in El Jardin de Las Rosas, and hosting a music and fun- filled farewell party for us beyond compare. “Mi casa es su casa” is an expression that is fully realized at La Casona Rosa. What a joy to be enfolded in the family at La Casona as a dear relative from El Norte and at the same time treated as an honored guest in Rose’s house. Will we return? Most definitely yes! Would we recommend La Casona to other travelers wishing to hang a sombrero or two in Morelia in whatever season? Yes, take me with you!

1  Thank Bangor_maineDicek
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I just returned from a week's stay at La Casona Rosa in Morelia and I can't say enough good things about it. From the minute we were welcomed at the door to the moment I departed seven days later I felt like part of a family. I can't wait to return!

Morelia is definitely a walkable city, and La Casona's location - it's only three blocks from the heart of the city: the Catedral - made it an extremely convenient starting point for a day's excursion. It is also just far away from the city center that it's quiet and peaceful. Once inside its doors, La Casona makes you forget you're in a bustling city.

The inn (no English words really capture what La Casona Rosa is so "inn" will have to suffice) is staffed by a house manager, Maria, and often visited by its owner, Rose. These two are a POWER TEAM! They are so friendly, hospitable, and warm that it was like being part of a family. They are also SO knowledgeable about the area, the city, the food scene, the sites that it was like having our own personal tour guides. And they NEVER steered us wrong.

When you stay at La Casona Rosa, you definitely must reserve Maria and her cooking talents for a meal or two. We ate both a dinner (burritos, beans, rice, guacamole and palomas) and a breakfast (chilequiles and fresh juice) made by Maria and they were PHENOMENAL. (My mouth is actually watering right now, I'm not kidding.)

You've also got to take a tour with Jesus. He's a very friendly guy with such a comfortable ride and great knowledge of the region. He took us to Patzcuaro on my way out of Morelia. It is well worth having someone drive you to show you the sites if you have the chance! The bus just doesn't stop at the local weaver's shop. :)

My mom and two of my friends are staying at La Casona until the end of this month. It is the PERFECT place for a long-term stay. There are plenty of places to relax (a couple of living rooms and the beautiful enclosed patio), a very well-equipped kitchen (with REAL coffee, yay!), fresh (potable) water, WiFi and a computer, phone access, etc. It was such a comfortable place to just BE.

Please say hello to my Morelian family if you see them. :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank thobcradarbustino
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife and I had an amazing time in the beautiful city of Morelia thanks in no small part to the team running Casa Rosa (Rose and Maria).

Amazing location, beautifully decorated, and two of the most helpful people in Mexico.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple