“Sweet Heaven in Morelia's Centro Historico”

Casona Rosa, Morelia
Ranked #1 of 48 Morelia B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“Sweet Heaven in Morelia's Centro Historico”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Rosa found me in the Michoacan_Net Yahoo Group and offered me her hospitality during a scouting trip to Morelia. I fell in love with the Casona, Rose and Maria, and Morelia. The accommodations were safe, clean and quiet. I haven't slept so good in years. The kitchens were sparkling clean, everything is well maintained. Rose and Maria are super-friendly, and welcoming. I was even able to do some work because of the Casona's very high speed internet, which was available at all times. I'd return to the Casona Rosa in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Coris2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 1, 2011

On a recent business trip to Morelia, Michoacán, I spent four nights at the lovely Casona Rosa. Smack dab in the middle of Morelia's Centro Histórico, this quiet, peaceful B&B was sheer heaven.

"Casona", the Spanish word for mansion, is a barely adequate description of the beautiful old building that houses this B&B. Fully renovated to include modern bathrooms with all the amenities a traveler needs, the house is furnished and decorated with typical artisan work from the marvelous state of Michoacán (Morelia is its capital). You'll love the owner's knowledge of and passion for the craft objects in every room.

Decoration is one thing--and undeniably important for your pleasurable stay--but how about comfort and amenities? I stayed in the large two-room Colonial Suite and slept on 1000-thread count imported sheets, my head on pillows exactly to my liking, the bed--just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears--not too hard, not too soft, but JUST RIGHT, and with a private bathroom just steps away. In this suite, a leather loveseat and ottoman are yours for relaxing with your feet up, a desk and chair offer comfortable workspace when you need it, and the free WI-FI Internet connection (just ask for the password) makes working from your laptop a pleasure. Torrents of hot water needle you in the shower, the drains work perfectly, so that you are not left standing in water up to your ankles, and thick, soft, oversize towels are pure luxury for drying off. Be sure to bring your own hair dryer, though.

Every guest has access to the kitchen and the house manager, María, will prepare breakfast for you for a small fee. There are two beautiful dining rooms plus an outdoor umbrella-shaded table and chairs for relaxing and talking with other guests and the owner, who is a total delight.

Public parking is two blocks away and a good value if you ask for a several-night discount. I paid 300 pesos (about $25 USD, exchange rate end of May 2011) for parking from Thursday early afternoon until noon on Monday.

A small plaque in one of the guest rooms reads, "Arrive a stranger and leave a friend." That captures the very essence of the Casona Rosa experience, your A++ choice of B&Bs in Morelia.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank MexicoCooks
Novato, California
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We feel like we won the B&B lottery in finding La Casona Rosa in Morelia. Although its location is just two blocks from the plaza and all the attractions, it is a peaceful oasis in a safe, quiet neighborhood.

When you stay at this lovely B and B, you feel like you´re in a friend´s house. The rooms are colorful, comfortable and full of wonderful art and artifacts. The facilities have been completely remodeled. Our bathroom (we stayed in the Frida suite -two rooms) was more updated than ours at home. Stocked with plush towels, this was the first place we´ve stayed in many years where everything worked perfectly, including the sink stopper.

As a guest, you have access to two lovely sitting/reading rooms, high speed internet and a totally stocked, totally modern kitchen. For a small fee you can request a cooked breakfast, OR you can make your own toast, eggs, coffee, etc. which is what we opted to do. If you like tea, it will take you a month to try each different variety. Thus you have a refrigerator in which to store leftovers, fruit and drinks.

We are big water drinkers, and you´ll find the huge purified water dispensers on each floor. We can´t say enough about this wonderful spot. It´s a great place from which to experience Morelia, totally relax and feel very safe. This would be a great place for friends travelling together, or you will probably be invited to join whatever is happening onsite.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kandv
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed April 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I usually fly in and out of Morelia when we visit Michoacan as we usually go onto other cities within the state. We stayed at Casona Rosa the night we arrived and the night before we flew out.
Maria greeted us with a big smile when we came in the first night. She is a delightful hostess. Our first night was spent in the colorful Frida room and our last night was spent in the spacious Colonial room.
Maria fixed us breakfast our first morning which was tasty. The casa has wi-fi which was available in both of our rooms. The Casa is located two and half blocks from the main street in the historic district of Morelia close to the Cathedral. It was an excellent location for taking in all the sites in this beautiful colonial city.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Soledad2009
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Morelia is a peaceful, fascinating destination, and Casona Rosa is clean and convenient, and decorated in a charming Mexican manner. A well appointed kitchen is available for all residents. But the central delight of Casona Rosa is the attention offered by Maria Armenta, the manager. She is tireless in her concern to be helpful, and her advice on the local scene - where to shop, eat, sightsee, etc. - is excellent. She also has access to a wide variety of local services, including Jesus, the well informed, courteous and reliable taxi/limousine operator. Morelia is delightful, and with the help of people named Maria and Jesus, what can go wrong?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank onkus
Vancouver
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I'm just wrapping up a great week long stay at La Casona Rosa in Morelia (see http://www.casadelarosa.info; http://lacasonamorelia.blogspot.com). La Casona Rosa is the main house of Casa Rosa, recommended to me by friends that I met in Guanajuato. I have to say that the city of Morelia, and the warmth and charm of La Casona Rosa, exceeded my expectations. Maria, the on-site manager at La Casona, could not have given me a warmer or more gracious welcome, and I felt very much at home the entire week I was here. The room that I am in -- the Frida Suite -- is quiet, bright, clean, and very comfortable. I've enjoyed making use of the kitchen for breakfast, and there always seems to be hot pot of coffee ready first thing in the morning. I was also lucky enough to be treated to Maria's fine cooking during my stay as well -- a generous and fabulous addition to my week. Finally, I took a day tour to Paztcuaro and surrounding towns/sites with Jesus Lopez, the driver recommended by La Casona Rosa (yuslopez@sbcglobal.net; cell 443 305 2058). Jesus was great fun, informative, and very flexible in terms of timing and taking me to places that interested me. I couldn't have asked for a better outing. In short - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend La Casona Rosa. The suites are a nice escape from the bustling city, and if you have the same experience I had, you'll feel very much at home.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Vaughn19
adelaide
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We arrived in Morelia with backpacks and no accommodation booked.........after walking the streets for a few hours and viewing a dozen options from filthy dark backpackers to affordable hotels with rude unfriendly staff and then some ridiculously expensive hotels (just to see what they were like!) we found Casa Rosa. It is literally a little piece of heaven. Centrally located within easy walking distance of all the great sites,cathedral, museums, food options and drinking spots, this place is a total gem. Maria the host is a complete delight, graceful, friendly and welcoming, fluent in spanish and english and a mine of information about Morelia. There are several sleeping options in this lovely renovated old house. The rooms are very spacious, beautifully decorated and with comfortable beds. There are rooms with one and two beds, an excellent kitchen, beautiful longe and dining area, wonderful courtyard and a second formal dining room. We had two dinner parties with other guests in our 7 day stay! There is also a self contained apartment at the back of the property with two bedrooms, mini rustic kitchen, bathroom and its own courtyard with sun and shade......this is where we stayed. Great for short and long stays. If you are in Morelia and you want charm, comfort, excellent location, very good value for money and wonderful hosts then Casa Rosa is the perfect choice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends