“Loud and cold, but dramatic view.”

Hotel Virrey de Mendoza
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Morelia
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed in the Suite Virrey. It's the master suite facing the plaza. The unit has a terrace that is absolutely amazing. Complete with a sitting area, and dining table. Just a couple of drawbacks. 1. The space is open air and not practical to use after 5 since it get's so cold and there is no exterior space heater. Too bad because it would be perfect for a late cocktail or reading a book. I could just imagine us having a romatic evening, watching the action on the plaza from the terrace. That's all you can do,,,,,imagine. 2. The maids are sweet but way below par. The terrace floors and flat surfaces, such as tables and chair seats were dirty. We mentioned it, but to no avail. She just didn't get it, even in Spanish. Also tried putting generous tips in her envelope with a request to clean better...no luck.

About the room. We are business people and really like to stay in touch with the U.S. Markets and News. Although they told me via email we would have two English channels for news, there were none.

Internet worked fine. Ambient lighting. The room has a bath and a half. There is plenty of counter space and nice large towels. Robes are shrunk so small I couldn't get it on. I'm a very petite female too. So I used them to put on the floor so I didn't have to put my feet on it. I loved the hand made mint and almond soaps. The water was hot and excellent pressure in shower.

If you have any issues at all with sleep, do not rent the room. The disco music from the building nearby played beyond 2 am. Traffic noise, police sirens and honking dominate the room in addition to fiestas on the plaza. We had to visit the pharmacy for sleep meds in order to cope. This is no exageration. Additionally, Friday and Saturday the piano in the hotel lobby can be heard up until 11. They will tell you 10, but trust me, it's not true.

Bed is comfortable, but spread worn. If you are thinking I'm being petty, I appreciate critical reviews, especially when large amounts of money are paid for what one expects to be First Class. It's easy to do clean and have a well trained staff. I know, I do it in my business.

Breakfast in the restaurant was very good, staff are the best. Fast, service oriented and very nice. The evening meal was served cold and had to be sent back. Staff was slow, but much better than other restaurants near by.

We love the city, it's beautiful and SAFE! Don't let the new of murders and drug wars deture you from visiting. It's isolated and I was probably safer in Morelia than Santa Monica. Lovely, lovely people and facinating history.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Justwantgoodservice

Reviewed July 23, 2009

The place was to DIE FOR!! I could not believe it. We drove in around lunch time and we pick it out right there on the spot. So we decided to stay there. It was a Stone building from the 1600's beautiful steps. Beautiful roof top terraces. 4 story atrium. The bedrooms were well, I thought I was Princess Diana there for a while, adjacent to our bedroom there was like an opulent formal dining room with sitting area on the other side. It was about 1,000 feet, the place was huge and decorated with all wood furniture, chandeleres, China Cabinets, THE BEST, after all the Virrey de Mendoza owned that place!! but the Open balcony will take your breath away, no windows in this room, I mean it was opulent. You have a birds eye view of the city plaza in front of the balcony and the main church further at the end of the park plaza. The double room doors are open for guests to get a peek, however when I asked the staff, who was staying in that room, they said it was for guests to go in there and enjoy. WOW, I wish I would have had more time to do that. It was expensive, however well worth the splurge, we super enjoyed it. I would definetely go back. although you better behave, this is a high class place, nothing but the best at this place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SashaSanAntonio
Reviewed April 11, 2009

The hotel is right on the main square and definitely in the best in-town location. There are a number of good hotels on the square that share the same privileged location.

I know the hotel was not very busy and while the room had a classy historic feel, there were so many disappointments that I don't know how they could put me there.

First, the bathroom floor had numerous hairs on it- black, red, short, long... That's kind of gross. It's a small bathroom and would probably take a minute to sweep the floor.

Second, the room was TINY! NYC small.

Third, the window opened to a ventilation shaft so nearly no light came into the room. I needed the lights on during the day. Also while I was not on the ground floor, the shaft ended on my level, so I couldn't leave the window open because anyone could have walked out of another window and into my room.

Fourth, I was right next to the housekeeping room, so there was tons of noise due to carts moving/loading, and talking.

Fifth, there was no AC and it was hot outside.

Sixth, no clock and/or alarm clock radio.

So why put me in such a crappy room? I can not recommend this hotel and would suggest looking into one of the other hotels on the square. Good luck here.

• Stayed: March 2009
4  Thank denverroadtrip
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Hotel Virrey is considered one of the best hotels in Morelia with the best location. Its near to the cathedral, the plaza, great eats and near the candy market. AMBIENCE: It has this old world charm that we admired. I would absolutely come back here again. Yes, a little noise but it is centrally located. Thats the beauty of it! I loved the food, the lounge and the room were a bit small but it doesnt matter, it is definitely one of the better places to stay. My husband and I are well-traveled and we are very picky as to where to stay so if you want a colonial Mexican experience, this is the best place. It is pricey but we felt it was worth it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jesille
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I stayed in six different hotels touring the colonial cities of Mexico and I have to tell you that this hotel and Morelia was one of the nicest stops. The location is right downtown next to the square. The service is what I like the best. Fresh flowers in the lobby and in each room. The bldg is wonderful. My room was very small, but the 4 poster bed and nice bath made up for it. The lack of air conditioning was somewhat of a problem but the room had a ceiling fan. It was just a great overall experience and I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank davidgmg
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We stayed in Hotel Virrey for four nights, and are very glad that we did.

Having read other reviews, we expected some noise, and, to be fair, there was some. The hotel is located immediately across a somewhat busy street from Morelia's main square, which is the heart of the city and a vibrant and beautiful spot. Traffic noise, while it does not continue throughout the night, is a factor. We booked an interior suite, and avoided that problem. However, the interior suites open onto a beautiful enclosed inner courtyard, which has live piano music until 11 pm or so, and seating areas where guests gather to chat. The noise is by no means raucous, and the pianist very good, but the antique glass in the windows separating the room from the courtyard, even with the wooden shutters closed, doesn't stop all noise from entering. If you need absolute silence, bring earplugs; if you need only mostly quiet, you'll be fine.

Worries about noise, however, should not keep you from staying here. The hotel is fabulous. Our suite on the second floor (second floor American; first floor European, which is the convention that the hotel uses) was furnished with very nice antiques. The restaurant and lobby were elegant. The outside cafe had a tremendous view to the cathedral and square. The staff were helpful.

We considered Los Juaninos, but liked the feeling and look of Hotel Virrey better. Los Juaninos has a great view of the town and cathedral - head there for a drink at sunset and stay for a great dinner - but it felt colder and, with long and dark hallways, a bit spooky when we were there. Casa de las Rosas, another option that we considered, seemed quite nice (though we did not get beyond its restaurant), and is on a quieter street while still in the center of town, though lacked the elegant feel of Hotel Virrey. This is a grand, old hotel in a Mexican city with a very European feel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler055
Reviewed February 5, 2008

This centrally located old hotel has beautiful public rooms, good restaurant, and an outside sidewalk cafe for people watching. Great location right on the zocalo.
The hotel is very noisy. There's a lot of street noise as well as hotel noise which echoes inside the interior stone corridors and atriums. Rooms on the first floor have French windows and a tiny balcony. First and second floor rooms are spacious with high ceilings. Rooms on the third floor are in an addition and are not worth the money. My room #310 had a miniscule window which wouldn't open. The bath smelled of mold and had no ventilation. The room was dark. A ceiling fan was the only source of air circulation in this hot, stuffy room. Although I was booked for a 5-night stay, the hotel staff was reluctant to change my room. #317 was small and stuffy but did not face the street and was considerably quieter. Upon my return, room #206 (second floor) was much nicer, although there was still street noise. Wooden shutters helped a bit.

• Stayed: January 2008