“DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Parkway Inn
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Booked our room for 8 nights through Expedia. The price was really reasonable, and we had driven past the hotel before (it looks okay from the outside). When we checked in, the Manager asked us how much we had paid through Expedia. We told her. She seemed to be upset that the rate was low. She then informed us that check-in time is 2:00pm (it was 1:00pm). She "should" charge us a $30 early check-in fee but, since she was not busy at the time, she would accept $20 in cash. When I checked my Expedia confirmation email later that night, it said "1:00pm check-in." The Manager also reminded us, several times, that our 8 nights would not be refunded. This is while we were CHECKING IN. That should have been a warning. Some highlights of our stay:

- The police are at this hotel EVERY DAY. The guests are shady. Shady.
- The heater in our room stopped working on the second night. The maintenance guy, Kevin, was the one who got us a new room and helped us move our stuff. The front desk ignored our calls for over an hour. Kevin was the BEST - and he should be working somewhere else.
- We were sleeping one morning. My boyfriend jumped out of bed and ran to the light, to see what was crawling on his face! It was a small brown cockroach. I am not kidding. I freaked out. Boyfriend called the front desk. Front desk clerk suggested we brought the roach with us. Again, not kidding. Since our 8 nights was "not refundable," I insisted on another room in another building. It took 4 hours for them to "find" us a new room in a hotel that had 90% empty rooms.
- New room, after roach (AR), had a dirty bathroom floor. At this point, we began waking around with shoes all the time. Our bags went into the car - because we didn't want them in the room anymore.
- Boyfriend went to get coffee one morning at 9:35am. Full continental breakfast was still set up. Front desk clerk told him not to touch it, as breakfast ended at 9:30am.
- On the day we checked out, we were told by the Manager that we were late and that there would be an additional $50 charge. This is the same woman who charged us $20 for "early check-in," which wasn't early. At this point, we laughed at her and left. After that horrible experience, she had the nerve to try and get more money out of us?! She then called my cell phone 2 hours after we checked out to say we had better come back with $50 for her or she was calling the police. I suggested she do just that. I am still waiting.

I just want to say that I always give hotels a chance, and I never paid much attention to online reviews because (I am a server) I know how picky people can be. I wish I had listened to all the bad reviews I saw on here. I would have stayed somewhere else. If this review helps one person save their money and their trip, it will have been worth it.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Dana2326

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

It looks like they've taken some steps to renovate and the outside has gotten some paint. The interiors were redone, but redone on the cheap, so the shoddy rehabs are starting to fall apart. The rooms reek of air freshener and the "amenities" couldn't possibly be any lower end. When they redid the bathrooms, their low bid plumber reversed the hot and cold on the showers - which is something that you only discover by accident. When I mentioned this to the clerk he yawned and said, "Oh, yeah - they're supposed to tell you that". There are no coathangers in the rooms (I don't think I've ever seen that before) - no hair dryer - no iron There are signs in the rooms warning you about stealing the towels and linens. I can't imagine anyone actually doing that. They are the cheapest threadbare things I've ever seen and look like they were purchased used from the carwash down the street. The maids cart is a shopping cart that they boosted from the local Toys R Us. - You're starting to get the idea- The clientele seems to be split into three groups - those who are enjoying their last day before they turn themselves in to serve their sentence - those who are enjoying their first day after serving their sentence - and poor slob travelers who got suckered in and are counting the hours until they can escape this joint and get a decent night's stay someplace else. If you count yourself in group 1 or 2 you'll love this place - and you'll probably also love the stale bread and froot-loops that comprise the "DELUXE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST" because at least they're not shoving it through the slot in your door. But if you're a member of group 3 I would have to say that the overall satisfaction of your lodging needs would be better met by choosing an alternative

Room Tip: go someplace else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rod M

Travelers are raving about these Springfield - Delaware County hotels

Salisbury, Maryland, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2013

One of the most filthiest hotels I have ever stayed in. Open beer bottles in bathroom, pee all over floor and tolet . Mold on shower wall. No phone service, the lines are dead. The phone is so dirty its tacky to touch. Dirt and trash behind bed. Bed spreads are old and not washed. Who knows what was done in room before you arrive. The staff person was rude, rude, rude. She could care less about the condition of room. Never offered another one, most likely they are all the same. I checked out after seeing room and she had the nerve to charge me twice, instead of refund. Finally , one charge was removed but I am still waiting for the other one to be removed as she promised. I went across street to Day's Inn. Choice Hotels better do something about this place if the want to keep members.

Room Tip: Run as fast as you can from this place.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Dorothy U
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Looks nice on outside but looks can be deceiving. Hrrd to gain access w/ door key card at this place. Door/locks stick. Finally fig. out how to get in & by accident went to wrong room number & you guessed it! My key card opened someone else's room by accident. No one inside but their luggage. Could have given someone a heart attack I guess.

I checked out of their so fast, it wasn't even funny!!! Did not feel safe there!!!!!! So I will let you decide..

Room Tip: beware of your key card that it does not open a stranger's room by accident or they w/ yours!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 Thank Jor Y
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Red Roof inn at Springfield PA is by far the worst place I've ever stayed. My fiance and I needed a one night room and when arriving at the room it was filled with cigarette smoke. When he went back to ask for a non-smoking room the woman who claimed to run the place said that a non-smoking room would cost more (even though that all the rooms were the same price online). We explained to the woman we literally just entered the room and that the smoke was too much. That's when the woman started to scream in hysterics so we decided we were not going to give our business to her due to the reason we thought she was unstable. We were there for a total of 6 minutes. I hope that who ever reads this understands that it's not worth a cheap room. The room was very dirty, extremely disgusting bathroom (lots of mold, pipes exposed) and the bed smelled like urine. I would never recommend this motel to anyone....not even my worst enemy. The only reason I gave this motel a star was because I was made to in order to enter my review. Upon leaving I told the woman that I couldn't believe she would speak to a customer in this manner. The woman would barely look at us and not even an apology.

Oh and the reviews that claim this motel was excellent was the woman's family members.

Room Tip: Either search around or sleep in the car. I wish I never even came here....all the owner did was rai...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah D
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked this motel a few days in advance after getting a deal on a different website and because of the advertised free shuttle to and from the airport. For whatever reason I didn't check reviews here like I normally do - and boy I wish I had.

Once we landed in Philadelphia I tried figuring out how to contact the shuttle. I called the motel directly after the ground transportation desk stated they didn't have contacts with them. They motel said they didn't have my reservation. I then called the company I booked the reservation through, and they had to call the motel and put them in their place. When I spoke with the company again she said the motel didn't check the linked registry. But that my reservation was accurate. I called the motel back to schedule the shuttle - to which she said it was at the mechanic and would be there in 45 minutes to an hour. I called her after an hour and 15 minutes passed asking where the shuttle was. She said he was stuck in traffic, but she'd call me when he got back from dropping off his current passengers. She never called me back. Just as I was calling the booking company to cancel the reservation all together the shuttle came - in the wrong lane, making me have to cross 4 lanes of traffic with my giant stroller, two kids and luggage. No word from the driver on why he was late or apology.

We got to the motel (which I was led to believe was a regular hotel) and waited 5 minutes before anyone came to the desk. Finally, she got us signed in and had me sign some paperwork. While signing I noticed one part stated there was no refunds, whatsoever. So before signing I requested to take a look at the room. She allowed this but was irritated.

Once in the room it appeared clean and in good condition. Aside from the bathroom, where there were white spit marks on the mirror, hair in the shower (no bathtub, by the way), and some water on the floor. Unfortunately - I didn't notice the bathroom issues until after I signed the paper. I wiped up the water on the floor - which led behind the toilet. While wiping that up - I wiped the back of the toilet off to find there was a ton of dark dust and grim. And the tank of the toilet was being balanced with broken paint stir sticks.

Because of the level of exhaustion for my two children and myself, we just stayed since it was only one night.

It was easy to hear everything going on outside the room. The breakfast the next morning was okay - cereal, stuff for making waffles, bagels and toast. Coffee, juice and milk.

We will not be making the mistake again of not checking here on TripAdvisor. And I will definitely not be staying at this motel again. Even though we got a deal on the stay - it was not worth the headache of an unexpected 2 hour wait at the hotel and the nasty bathroom.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Rika06
Bronx, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Have stayed here twice before and each time I say I'll look somewhere else. I've learned my lesson now. Checked in Saturday to find a dirty room - mirror in bathroom dirty, hair in bathroom sink and shower. Refrigerator door was left open and it was turned off. A/C off so it took an hour for room to cool down. No Do Not Disturb sign available, and at 8:30 Sunday morning although our door was clearly locked, housekeeping tried getting in the room until we finally had to yell after being woken up. Front desk didn't seem to care too much. I'll be staying away from here on my future stays in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank localhero8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield - Delaware County
Days Inn Springfield/Phil. Intl Airport
Days Inn Springfield/Phil. Intl ...
#1 of 2 in Springfield - Delaware County
Courtyard Philadelphia Springfield
The Inn at Swarthmore
The Inn at Swarthmore
#1 of 1 in Swarthmore
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park

Been to Parkway Inn? Share your experiences!