“Terrible service good food”

The Barton Cross Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Canon
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had to wait for one hour and ten minutes to be seated at our restaurant table due to a large wedding party still seated in the dining room.We got not one word of apology from the owner despite repeatedly asking when we would be able to eat.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank maharg

Reviewed August 5, 2010

My wife and I recently spent two nights at this beautiful and well run hotel. The accommodation is well decorated with a lot of old world charm. The staff are considerate at all times and they help to create the perfect environment for your stay.

The hotel is very close to Exeter for those who want heritage and shopping, and it is not too far away from the Exmoor National Park for those seeking beauty. There is ample car parking provided for those staying at the hotel and those dining in the restaurant.

The breakfast provided as part of the package is more than sufficient and well cooked. I would most certainly recommend dining at the hotel on at least one night of your stay. The choice of food should be more than sufficient for most diets and the local produce is well selected and beautifully cooked. If you like more simple food, let the hotel staff know when booking as the owner confirmed that the chef will be happily to oblige. The hotel boasts a well stocked bar and a very good wine list.

The owner is a charming man who brings all the various aspects of your stay together to provide you with a lovely experience.

Our thanks to you all.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I was debating on whether I was able to write this review, because I didn't end up going to the hotel, and here's why. I booked a table for the restaurant, and then called up a few minutes later because I was unable to make it, and the "gentleman" on the other end of the phone sighed and put the phone down on me. Now, if their customer service and co-operation is that poor on the phone, I'd dread to think what it is like in reality.

Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My room was spacious with a comfortable bed and well maintained but dated decor. Even the television programmes were in-keeping with the period of the room, and I caught some Lethal Weapon before bedtime. Business-wise, I had my own mobile connection from my laptop, so e-mails were not a problem. I'm not aware of Wi-Fi being provided by the hotel itself. So, how could I give five stars to a place where the shower bregudgingly dribbled out hot water only after some persuasion? Well, to dwell on these things misses the whole point of the place...

There is a fantastic lounge area with a log fire and well-stocked bar. Time here should be spent in front of the open fire reading the newspaper and soaking up the atmosphere as opposed to mooching in your room alternating between all four TV channels. The dining room exudes character, with the tables being split between a main seating area and a minstrel's gallery. I had Goat's Cheese Ravioli, Parsnip & Apple Soup and a main course of lamb. The food is a cross between fine dining and wholesome home-made fare and mine was excellent. Breakfast was good with free-range eggs.

I'm not sure why I have developed a knack of noting clean carpets, but the carpet in my room was most certainly clean. Being a Stokie I also appreciated the Wedgewood teaset in my room. I would have liked window locks had I been here with my kids although this is not usually a problem when on a business trip. The acid test is whether I'd spend my own money here as opposed to that of the expense account... definitely, and I hope to be back later in the year with my family.

To summarise, if you want corporate sleek and power-showers, go to the Abode in Exeter city centre. If you want an enjoyable and friendly bolt-hole in which to unwind then the Barton Cross Hotel comes highly recommended (as does a satnav to find it).

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2008

This is THE place to stay if you love fine food, large portions, excellent service and a warm welcome. On a business trip,I was booked into the Barton by our service provider, and initially, I was unsure due to the location, and that it was a small hotel. FEAR NOT ! Brian was most welcoming and informative to all his guests, and treated everyone with superb respect and professionalism. During my two night stay, it was obvious that this is somewhere that has a secret reputation, as there were guests from Germany, New Zealand, ex-locals, and, people who had obviously stayed there before. Evening meals were excellent and freshly prepared and cooked - and - there was no rush between courses, something that I deplore in other establishments ! Breakfast just has to be experienced. I will certainly be going back !
Ps the rooms are comfortable and clean - possibly not with all the latest gizmos, but that made it somewhere that you can relax !

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2008

What a lovely place to kick back a little! My husband and I and our 7 year old son stayed for 2 days and the staff and owners couldn't do enough for us. We had a family room in the old part of the hotel which was a huge space with a lovely thatched roof. We all slept so well as it was so quiet, the only sound coming from the cows in an adjacent field. The food was fantastic - probably the best steak I have ever eaten - and the portions were huge! We were late for breakfast one morning, having overslept because of the lack of traffic noise, but the chef still stayed late so we could have something cooked. Yes, it is a little pricey but worth every penny. If you are looking for character, cleanliness and relaxation then this is the place to stay. We have already recommended it to all our friends! Oh, and an ideal location if you happen to be paying a visit to Skydive UK in Dunkeswell!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I usually stay is the larger hotels but fancied a "country style" experience on this occasion. I was traveling with 3 work colleagues and I keyed the location into the sat nav (I needed it !) - upon arriving the host (Brian if i recall correctly) was most welcoming. To be honest I had a 24 hour bug of some type and had an early night but my friends had dinner in the restaurant. This was by biggest regret as they guys could not praise the restaurant food and service highly enough. In fact we were away for 3 weeks and they claim this was the best dining experience of the trip!, oh well gives me a reason to go back some time. It is not an expensive place to stay and is quite cute in so many ways. I have posted some interior shots as well as a snap from outside.

The rooms are a little dated but I hope they don't get changed as it added to the experience . The place is very clean and breakfast was superb.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Canon
Hampton by Hilton Exeter Airport
Jurys Inn Exeter
Jurys Inn Exeter
#11 of 31 in Exeter

Been to The Barton Cross Hotel? Share your experiences!