“Quaint Hotel with all the ammenities”

The Barton Cross Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Canon
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We found that Barton Cross Hotel was a bit outside of Exeter and required either a bus or taxi to get to the hotel and back. However, Brian, the host, was very accommodating and drove us into Exeter each morning. Since we had planned visits to the south coast, we were away much of the day and did not find the trip back problematic. The bus offerred a one-day pass which was quite reasonable and convenient. Most of the time we ate away from the hotel (with the exception of breakfast). However, we had one dinner at the hotel and it was absolutely fabulous. So, if you'd like and have the time for a gourmet meal then I'd suggest at least one dinner there.

Room Tip: Be aware that transportation would need to be arranged, especially if travelling around Devon.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Although we only stayed for one night we found the hotel to be very good overall. Fortunately I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and knew that the hotel was not located where the map on one website said it was, but was actually at Huxham, a crossroads in the countryside with nothing much else near it apart from a lovely old church and a large farmhouse. It is an historic building that has been renovated extensively to create the hotel it is today while still preserving the period features that give it its unique character. As such, our room was comfortable and had room enough for us but was not what we'd call spacious but that's to be expected in a hotel of this type. The best thing about the hotel though was the quality of the menu in the restaurant. They certainly have a very good chef and the owner takes great pride in maintaining a very good wine cellar to compliment the quality of the food. Prices were reasonable too which was just as well as we were a few miles out of Exeter in the countryside and the nearest alternative restaurant would have been too far for us after a long day's drive from Portsmouth. The peace and quiet of the countryside and a comfortable bed made for a refreshing night's sleep (even with the window open for the lovely country air) and, after a lovely breakfast we journeyed on to London.
We would certainly stay there again and would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: If you have heavy cases like us, ask for a ground floor room as there's no elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Stayed here on the basis of good reviews and agree with all their positive comments.
Comfortable well equipped traditional rooms in this small privately run country hotel tucked away down a quiet Devon lane near a village just to the NW of Exeter, and very well sited for touring the area, or going to the wedding event that we were attending and which involved picking up a family member at Exeter St David's station about 15 minutes away.
Must compliment the kitchen on really very good dining, both at dinner and breakfast. Service was very friendly, and if I must find comment it could have been just a bit quicker, but this is a small establishment, the food is worth waiting for, so maybe we should slow down a bit!
Would recommend this excellent hotel to motor travellers generally as a very pleasant experience. Congrats to the owner/manager and his team.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had to wait for one hour and ten minutes to be seated at our restaurant table due to a large wedding party still seated in the dining room.We got not one word of apology from the owner despite repeatedly asking when we would be able to eat.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank maharg
Reviewed August 5, 2010

My wife and I recently spent two nights at this beautiful and well run hotel. The accommodation is well decorated with a lot of old world charm. The staff are considerate at all times and they help to create the perfect environment for your stay.

The hotel is very close to Exeter for those who want heritage and shopping, and it is not too far away from the Exmoor National Park for those seeking beauty. There is ample car parking provided for those staying at the hotel and those dining in the restaurant.

The breakfast provided as part of the package is more than sufficient and well cooked. I would most certainly recommend dining at the hotel on at least one night of your stay. The choice of food should be more than sufficient for most diets and the local produce is well selected and beautifully cooked. If you like more simple food, let the hotel staff know when booking as the owner confirmed that the chef will be happily to oblige. The hotel boasts a well stocked bar and a very good wine list.

The owner is a charming man who brings all the various aspects of your stay together to provide you with a lovely experience.

Our thanks to you all.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I was debating on whether I was able to write this review, because I didn't end up going to the hotel, and here's why. I booked a table for the restaurant, and then called up a few minutes later because I was unable to make it, and the "gentleman" on the other end of the phone sighed and put the phone down on me. Now, if their customer service and co-operation is that poor on the phone, I'd dread to think what it is like in reality.

Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My room was spacious with a comfortable bed and well maintained but dated decor. Even the television programmes were in-keeping with the period of the room, and I caught some Lethal Weapon before bedtime. Business-wise, I had my own mobile connection from my laptop, so e-mails were not a problem. I'm not aware of Wi-Fi being provided by the hotel itself. So, how could I give five stars to a place where the shower bregudgingly dribbled out hot water only after some persuasion? Well, to dwell on these things misses the whole point of the place...

There is a fantastic lounge area with a log fire and well-stocked bar. Time here should be spent in front of the open fire reading the newspaper and soaking up the atmosphere as opposed to mooching in your room alternating between all four TV channels. The dining room exudes character, with the tables being split between a main seating area and a minstrel's gallery. I had Goat's Cheese Ravioli, Parsnip & Apple Soup and a main course of lamb. The food is a cross between fine dining and wholesome home-made fare and mine was excellent. Breakfast was good with free-range eggs.

I'm not sure why I have developed a knack of noting clean carpets, but the carpet in my room was most certainly clean. Being a Stokie I also appreciated the Wedgewood teaset in my room. I would have liked window locks had I been here with my kids although this is not usually a problem when on a business trip. The acid test is whether I'd spend my own money here as opposed to that of the expense account... definitely, and I hope to be back later in the year with my family.

To summarise, if you want corporate sleek and power-showers, go to the Abode in Exeter city centre. If you want an enjoyable and friendly bolt-hole in which to unwind then the Barton Cross Hotel comes highly recommended (as does a satnav to find it).

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
#3 of 31 in Exeter
Exeter Court Hotel
Exeter Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kennford

Been to The Barton Cross Hotel? Share your experiences!