“food surprise”
Review of Otterton Mill

Otterton Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Otterton
More attraction details
Owner description: Set beside the River Otter in one of East Devon's loveliest coastal valleys, Otterton Mill is the place in Devon to experience the ancient traditions of flour milling, bread baking and much more! The idyllic setting of our historic working watermill and the stunning surrounding countryside attracts visitors year round from all over the world. They come to enjoy our mill, bakery, cafe-restaurant, local food shop, gift and craft shop, art gallery, wildlife shop, live music, and other events.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

plenty of parking in a quiet location probably a good base for a walk but I did not have time.
the food was interesting and tasty staff helpful

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Arranged to meet a friend yesterday at Otterton Mill - always such a great place for a coffee and cake/ lunch, with very friendly service and delicious food. There is free parking, and the setting adjacent to the river at Otterton, always makes it themost popular venue to meet up. My daughter has recently moved to the area and it has become her favourite place to go to with friends when down from London, as they love a look around the gift and food shops whilst there, followed by a quick walk along the river. It really is a perfect location. Would highly recommend it.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We've visited the Mill many times and often enjoyed coffee or lunch in the restaurant. Today we decided we'd have a cup of tea following a lovely riverside walk. My wife wanted an ice cream which she enjoyed. I chose a scone and butter and pot of tea. Firstly, the counter service was rather slow but I wasn't in a rush so this didn't matter so much. The scone, I was informed, would be brought out to the table rather than given to me with my tea!

Although the scone looked lovely For my taste it lacked a pinch of salt and was bland. Jam would, of course, have helped. However, I was most disappointed with my pot of tea. Cheap (though durable) stainless steel pots and jugs simply seem out of place in the Mill's setting. Worse than that my pot (two good cups) was made with one tea bag. Even after infusing and stirring I was unable to ascertain whether I was drinking a superior brew or a cheap catering alternative. I'm sure that I would have been given an extra bag if requested but that's not the point. By the way, I don't like my tea particularly strong.

Next time we'll return to the Oak Barn at Budleigh where a choice of tea is served in individual pots with removable infusers and timers (training given!), which makes the most superb beverage I've ever enjoyed outside of home.

It's not that the whole experience was unpleasant but simply that such a lovely and unique attraction should, in my opinion, be offering a better tea service than I would expect in a seafront cafe.

Ottertonmill, Owner at Otterton Mill, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Many thanks for this feedback after your recent visit to Otterton Mill.

Yes, unfortunately, our steel tea pots do represent a compromise. We've found in the past, when we've tried ceramic pots, that the breakage and general wear and tear is very costly and unsustainable. The steel pots lack finesse, but represent a durable solution for our high volume of tea sales through the year.

Your feedback on the strength of the tea we served you is a surprise, since we stock high quality organic tea which is generally well received. However we have made sure all of our waiting team have been re-trained to ensure they use the right size pot for the number of cups required.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Simon Spiller
Co-Owner

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Having eaten at Otterton Mill several times over the last few years, have watched as menu and owners have changed over the years.
Food is geeting better again, some hits and misses, between a group of seven of us, we did a fair comparison. Prices are again more reasonable. Portions are adequate.
Downside ... Is mainly outside! For years they have had a wasp problem, removing the bins has helped, but why management hasn't thought about hanging wasp traps around the garden? The amount of guests that were having to queue and move to sit inside to avoid the wasps. We did ask the waitress, what was being planned, and her comment was they knew about the wasps, but we were welcome to sit inside.
The Mill was always known for being a wonderful local artists place with unusual gifts to be bought .... This is less so now. Upstairs looked almost like a generic posh garden centre with what was on sale, certainly not the place I would have considered buying kitchen utensils. What artist products where available, were very high in price compared to things on sale in places like Sidmouth and Topsham. It may be that with the economic down turn, the expensive artist pieces, were harder to sell.
Would still recommend Otterton Mill for a meal, a cream tea, lovely shop selling local produce and homemade cakes using their flour. Lovely walk along the river bank down to Budleigh Salterton, especially if you have dogs.

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent visit to Otterton Mill.

This has indeed been a difficult summer for wasps in the South West and we have taken several steps to address this. Wasp traps have been installed around the site, mainly away from customer seating so as to draw the wasps away. We have also recently installed Waspinators (artificial nests) which deter wasps from an area, these appear to be working well. However, your feedback has been a helpful reminder to ensure our team is trained to communicate the measures we have taken.

We have indeed adjusted the art and product mix in our Mill Shop and Gallery. We continue to support over 50 talented local artists by displaying their work, but we have also increased the quantity of craft and home ware products, mainly from local artisan producers. Over the last two years this has helped us reduce the average price of items available in our Mill Shop and Gallery, while still supporting local artists. When local items are not available, we have generally sourced items with sustainable credentials, e.g. fairtrade or organic. This recalibration of our stock is an ongoing journey and it's clear from your feedback that there is opportunity for us to improve how we explain our sourcing policy to visitors.

Thanks again for your comments.

Simon Spiller
Co-owner

Reviewed August 27, 2013

During our holiday in North Somerset, twice we journeyed to Exeter and further South to Otterton Mill. The 'tagine' was delicious as a main course, followed by the best cream tea in the South West! Caroline, the owner, was extremely helpful and even worked out a way to give us even better value! The gift shop and bakery shop provided a source for all our holiday presents.

Walking around Otterton rounded off the visit.

We will return on our next holiday. Thank you to Caroline, Simon and all your staff.

Martin Manchester