“Plesant Surprise”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

On a spur of the moment day out to Mersery I trawled the net to find a restaurant. The sound of Mehalahs appealed to me although I had no idea what to expect. On route I rang to book.
The restaurant is set back off the main road and quite easy missed so drive slowly. There is ample parking on the forcourt and in the adjacent free car park. We received a warm welcome. The decoration is rather mixed, very cosy and friendly and children are obvoisly welcome. If you wish there is a family seating area with a good supply of toys and books. It reminded me of Italy where there is a healthy attitude toward children in restaurants.The menu is varied ranging from sandwiches, made from cut fresh bread to the Daily Specials. Fish seems to be the speciality but there was also pidgeon breast and beef in red wine that day. We started with squid and pan fried prawns. For our main course my husband had lobster and I had sardines. We finished with the cheese board. I had a glass of wine produced at the local vinyard and my husband had a local beer. The whole meal was very well presented, very well cooked and of good quality produce. We paid under £45.
Every year we travel to the Ligurian coast of Italy to enjoy fresh fish. This meal was on par with those expereiences.
The staff were friendly and no request seem a problem.
We certainly reccomend you give this restaurant a try. We will certainly go back.

There are newer reviews for Mehalah's at Oysters & Ale

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is on the quiet side of Mersea and looks nothing from the road. But it's a great little spot. We had some lunch with friends and children. I had the prawns which were well cooked and flavourful. Local wine was the order which was good. My only small gripe was that it could have been colder, but that's being a bit picky. Everyone else's food was good, especially the home made mackerel pâté for starters, which was excellent. We also couldn't resist the deserts and cakes. All home made and all good. All great value too, bill for 4 was £55 with wine. Would def return if in the area.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Excellent place, we had smoked mackerel pâté and oysters to start, followed by Lobster and home made fish cakes. All was beautiful, including the local stout. All in £35, amazing value and tasty. High recommended

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This cafe looks like a shed from the outside but is very clean and well presented inside. On the day we went there was a limited menu but the rock oysters were the best we have ever tasted. We wish we had ordered more. The ladies who run the cafe are most helpful and friendly.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

If we had found such a lunch on holiday in, say, Spain we would have raved about it. We had oysters, grilled sardines, scallops, salad with loads of samphire, local wine & beer, lovely cake and a decent coffee all at great prices. The building and decor are quirky but we would quite happily accept that abroad if the food was so good, so why not here? This is a great addition to the choices on Mersea Island and a real plus for East Mersea. Well worth the trip to the east end of the island!

1  Thank i'dratherbeonholiday