“Sunday stroll on Mersea beach then lunch”

The Victory at Mersea
Ranked #12 of 16 Restaurants in Mersea Island
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Victory at Mersea is a very popular pub/restuarant/inn right on the waterfront on Mersea Island, with great views of the Blackwater estuary. There is a large beer garden with plenty of room for alfresco dining and a separate childrens play area.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

On the menu it says they are not a chain of restaurants but the food was very typical of chain restaurants. The menu was okay and reasonably priced and the service was good. The staff were friendly. The food was just okay, nothing special and as we only had fish and chips I have to say I have had much better and tastier. There is car park which luckily we got a space on, Mersea was very busy, everywhere was full including the Victory. The restaurant is not very big but you can also eat in the bar area or sit outside. Nice location.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

It was the first time in my life that I cancelled our meals and left after paying for the starters and drinks we'd had. The main restaurant was booked for a private function and we were assured that the adjacent bar was equally as comfortable as the food was the same cost as the restaurant, it arrived barely warm and being seated in a "very" public bar adjacent to an external door continually being left open, they might as well have seated us outside on a freezing January night. If this was supposed compared with their restaurant? Never again, our evening had been completely ruined.

3  Thank Dennis T
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We've been using the Victory for over 5 years now, and always had great meals & excellent service, well done Victory, keep it up!

David & Carole Blackwell
Mersea

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stopped here for lunch on a Saturday it was quite busy with people coming and going, there was a lovely menu and I was only sorry that we hadn't visited in the week as they are doing a 2-4-8 deal: 2 courses for £8 during January, before I realised which day it was and was still trying to decide between a starter or dessert as they all looked so nice! We both opted for the burger and sadly didn't go for anymore as we didn't really need it to fill us up to be honest! The burger was lovely and meaty and had the most delicious red onion marmalade in it with extra bacon and cheese.... the bacon was proper bacon and not mostly fat, as I have experienced in other places, the salad was fresh and sweet and the chips were chips! It was a relaxing place, with couples popping in for coffee and sitting on the large leather sofas, and families coming in for lunch. Would definately go again.... especially if they had a good deal on, our young 16 year old waitress was also very sweet and helpful :-)

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have not been for some considerable time to this restaurant after having a bad experience before. We had a table for 8 people tonight and most of the food was bad, steaks not good, chips undercooked, risotto overcooked!! scallops undercooked and hard bread!!! Need I say anymore, in fairness there was a reduction in the price but didn't make up for a bad experience. The waiting staff could not have been more helpful so 10 out of 10 for that.

EssexBoaters, Owner at The Victory at Mersea, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience and did not enjoy your meal. I will be talking to the chef when he is in tomorrow. I am glad that the waiting staff looked after you but realise that this does not compensate for a bad meal, but all I can do now is apologise.