“Good even in winter”
Review of Victory at Mersea

Victory at Mersea
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in December 2011; lovely clean room; great bathroom; breakfast good, we were even allowed to have a guest join us for breakfast on our final morning and when I didn't fancy a fry-up they made me a lovely fruit salad; made to feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back quieter; there is a designated disabled access room
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dudie69

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We decided to book a weekend away on Mersea Island as an early Valentines treat and chose the Victory for our stay as they have a dog friendly room. I was a little worried when I phoned on the morning of our first day to ask about the booking in time and was told that my booking had been crossed through and had been cancelled by "me". This most certainly was not the case as I hadn't cancelled and I had left my credit card details with them to secure the booking some 6 weeks previous. Luckily the room was still available otherwise our weekend would have been ruined. I overheard one of the staff expressing confusion over the bookings of some other people who had arrived but the booking had been cancelled in the book - maybe they need to review their booking system to avoid disappointed clientele.
Having said that we found "The Victory" to be a nice friendly pub and B&B, the rooms are clean and well appointed and the staff helpful and polite. The refreshments and biscuits in the rooms are bountiful and greatly appreciated. Having stayed at many B&B's over the years, I have to say that the breakfast offered has to be one of if not "the" best we have had. A full English each on Saturday, very good quality produce used, which set us up for the day and then Kippers for hubby and smoked salmon scrambled eggs for me on Sunday were absolutely delicious - compliments to the chef! We love Mersea and find the atmosphere reminiscent of Devon (which we also love) where everyone says good morning and are considerably more polite than the Londoners we are used to these days. Sadly we didn't get to experience any of the fresh fish that Mersea is so famous for at Company Shed as the water was -13c when the boats went out which did not yield a decent catch. I am sure we will be going back very soon and would not hesitate to book the Victory again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stayed here on a Sunday night as a last minute thing and it was great in every way. Stayed in a family room (which wasn't a room but more like a small house!) very clean and it had a nice patio area out the front and a fenced playground just behind which was excellent for our little one. The pub was lovely aswell and all the staff were very friendly. We had lunch and dinner there and both meals were very good. Had to leave early the next morning but the manageress said she would get our breakfast for us before we went which was really nice and much appreciated. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We had two nights at the hotel and had good pub food each night. We had a garden room which was located at the back of the hotel. This room was quiet and immaculately clean. It was ideal for the dog as she had immediate access to the outside. The room was beautifully tidied up and cleaned on the second day of our stay. On one morning we wanted to have breakfast a bit earlier than 9.00am and this was catered for willingly and efficiently. We had two longish walks during our stay and the whole area is really good for walkers. We really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: We had room 8 which is the first of the garden rooms and you could just see the yachts on dry dock f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Walker90
Reviewed January 1, 2012

............The Victory in West Mersea is great for an overnight.
We had Room 1......very spacious with usual amenties TV /Tea / Coffee / Trouser Press / 4 Piece Bathroom Suite complete with Spa Bath.

Room overlooked a boatyard and the water, good view.

Described by the owners as "The Victory, a nice place to sink a few" it really is a good place.

Breakfast was excellent, Full English and all kinds of alternatives. I had Smoked Haddock & Poached Eggs - lovely.

Situated on the Coast Road, The Victory is an ideal place to enjoy the delights of a hidden treasure that appears to be West Mersea

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank radiostu
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The rooms were very good, drinks kept on coming, amazing people and a brilliant weekend. My friends loved it too,shame i didnt come earlier. I love in london so it was a good place to definatley escape to...... Am definatley going back there thanks to em' and btw, beautiful view

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This trip was a treat from my husband and we had a wonderful time. The room (number 1) was large, light and very clean with a huge bathroom including a spa bath.
The staff were very welcoming and pleasant with our waitress at breakfast both mornings being particularly nice and smiley, which was a great way to start the day.
Because it was my birthday my husband had bought a special bottle of wine to have with our dinner (he had called in advance to check that this would be OK) which the waitress happily opened for us and even lent us a vacuum stopper so we could take the rest of the bottle back up to our room.
The Victory made a fantastic base for exploring that part of Mersea Island - we were able to stroll down to the Company Shed for lunch and then back to our room for a lie-down.Perfect!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Mersea Island
Fen Farm Camping and Caravan
Fen Farm Camping and Caravan
#2 of 4 in Mersea Island

Been to Victory at Mersea? Share your experiences!