“CRLA and Larry Little”

Costa Rican Language Academy CRLA
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in San Pedro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you want to learn Spanish in Costa Rica, make sure that you will have an authentic cultural experience.If you wanted to study French in France, wouldn't you prefer that the school be owned by French people? Or if you studied German in Germany, wouldn't you choose a German-run school? The CRLA is one of the few schools completely owned and operated by Costa Ricans and all of our teachers and staff are native Spanish speakers. We will share our culture with you while you learn our language.Excellent resultsWe make sure that you are making the most of your stay and learning Spanish quickly and easily, no matter what your age, background or Spanish skills are. Our practical methodology , innovative books & intimate class size ensures excellent results. We will even offer you extra classes at no cost, if necessary, to ensure that you will achieve your language goals.
Plano, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“CRLA and Larry Little”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I just completed my 4th stay in Costa Rica as a student at CRLA, as my job only allows limited vacations. I found CRLA on the internet, it was a leap of faith that has turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life. I cannot find much to improve on their school, it runs perfectly and each trip is a fun experience. I think their staff is the secret, everyone there is working to make sure you are comfortable and getting the services you need and expect. My host family has become a part of my life now, I feel like a part of their extended family. My teacher, Paola is perhaps the best teacher I have had in my life ! She never stresses me, we work together on my skills and she has dozens of fun teaching methods and props. There are many things to see and do, as a group or as an individual in the San Jose area. The beaches are wonderful, clean and beautiful. If you have children and want to make Spanish a part of their success, please consider CRLA. Their attention to safety is comforting, but I have found Costa Rica to have very little crime. It is safer than most of the US. I'll say in closing, I'm lucky to have found CRLA, lucky to have such a wonderful host family, lucky to have such a dedicated teacher and lucky to have so many friends in Costa Rica. Larry Little-Dallas Texas

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Larry L

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great School and services”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am not sure how I came to learn about this school but I think it was based on Tripadvisor reviews. I always wanted to do a spanish study trip but I was afraid and not sure where to start. Based on the reviews here, I called CRLA (from USA) spoke to a live person who answered my basic questions right away. You pay on arrival, and they can do homestay.
Went on a limb, got my plane ticket and set off.

You get a pickup at the airport by a friendly mostly spanish speaking who is obviously marked as a CRLA staff.
Arrived at my host stay. I had a FABULOUS family. My initial family was switched last minute and I am glad because the new family was great. Other students were staying there and we had delicious breakfast and dinner together daily. Clean facilities and spacious.

The school was 10-15mins bus ride from my homestay.

I was there for a only a week. I had a little bit of Spanish background but not enough to feel comfortable. My teacher was excellent. There was only 2 people in the class so lots of individual attention.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. They help arranged return taxi to airport. Things were just very effortless. Facilities were clean and spacious.
School is in a quite area. There is a Mall nearby where I ate lunch daily.

At the end of my week, I was sad to go and I must say my spanish improved.
I plan to return next year and hopefully I can do more than 1 week.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Naijagirl
Cologne, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Spanish classes and Costa Rican culture at CRLA - perfect in every way”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I would like to share my wonderful experience in Costa Rica and especially at Costa Rican Language Academy with you. I've already been there in 2009 as a student and am here now as a guide for a German student group. We take Spanish classes in San José during the week and travel for the weekend to discover the maximum of this beautiful country. The school offers excellent language courses by native speakers which include both grammar lessons and conversation classes. What I liked the most about the classes is that we talked a lot and did a lot of different games and discussions, they really want you to practice your new Spanish skills. All of the employees are likeable and always helpful and you get a lot of extra services such as free Latin dance classes, cooking classes, yoga, extra conversation classes, delicious coffee and fruit juices all day... When we plan our weekend trips, they even help us to contact hostels, to buy tickets and to find the places you must have seen in Costa Rica.
I was really impressed how much I learned in these 6 weeks and how easy it was to immerse myself in Costa Rican culture, also due to my lovely Costa Rican host family.
My stay in Costa Rica helped me to see things in a different way, not to get stressed any time something doesn't work straight away, to appreciate what I have and to realize what I don't really need to be happy. People here are so nice and I immediately adapted their motto "Pura Vida" - the pure life.
Thanks to Costa Rican Language Academy I have had the possibility to meet a lot of lovely people, to see beautiful places and exotic animals, to get in touch with Costa Rican culture and, above all, to improve my Spanish skills more than I ever thought I would.
I really recommend this school, it is definitely worth the price and gives you the possibility to immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture and to make this not just a trip but a life's experience.

Katrin Renken