Hotel Ave del Paraiso
$69
Hostel Urbano Yoses(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$18
Hostel Urbano(San Pedro)
Hostel Bekuo(San Pedro)
Casa Areka(San Pedro)
TripAdvisor
Casa Kibi Kibi(San Pedro)
Isha Hostel(San Pedro)
Pura Italia(San Pedro)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshot watermajor roadcosta ricacable tvfresh fruitevery morningtwo nightspolloa great place to stayucruniversityuniversidaddowntowncerealartworklaundry
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel has a very laid back vibe and a lovely collection of quirky outdoor statues made of found materials welded together
The Krakovia Cafe out front is owned and operated by the Adamski boys, sons of the owners and is a good quality cafe/restaurant with a full dinner menu and a college atmosphere given the University clientele

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank richmora
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We organized a seminar at Hotel Ave del Paraiso and the guests stayed at the hotel, the food at Café Krakovia was excellent, the service of the staff very warm, the rooms were very quaint and nice. An option I will definitely have in mind. Of course, the location is simply perfect too.

Room Tip: Ask for special promotions when you are staying for a whole week.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ming Ming C
Reviewed January 9, 2014

On the recommendation of a family friend, my family chose to try out this hotel while we were in the San Jose area of Costa Rica.

This is not a chain hotel, instead it is a family hotel and landmark with authentic architecture, fun sculptures created by one of the owner's son and a friendly and quite helpful hotel staff. The owner and his family live on site in a beautiful home across the well kept garden grounds.

Breakfasts are more than adequate, and enjoyable with fruit, eggs made to order, toast, coffee or tea, and Costa Rican Gallo Pinto (rice and beans). The water and food are safe to eat and drink -- we did not experience any problems from this hotel.

Rooms are comfortable and homey, giving the place a bed and breakfast feel, while the common areas make you feel right at home. I loved sitting on the balcony in the late afternoon and evening.

Safety and security are a given at this property, located within walking distance of the San Pedro Mall and the University of Costa Rica. We took in a movie on our last night there.

We had a room with two large beds, a refrigerator, small desk and a bathroom. It was large enough for us to keep our luggage, shower and sleep. We used the common areas to play games and visit as a family. There is a room safe located in each room, although the staff is beyond reproach and very trustworthy.

The staff speaks english well, I had no trouble communicating with any of them. Both Kenneth and Oscar are a lot of fun to chat with. Anna the housekeeper and breakfast cook is very good at her job. My spanish is highly dangerous (I think I wished someone "Happy New Eggs" instead of Happy New Year) but I had absolutely no trouble understanding the english or being understood.

Wi-Fi Internet is provided, and it was good enough for me to work remotely on projects back in the states.

I appreciated the fact that they were kind enough to store our luggage while we toured other parts of the country at other hotels. We stayed at this facility upon our arrival and for two nights prior to our departure. I thoroughly enjoyed this property. It is safe, reasonably priced, friendly and memorable. Give it a try when you travel to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mike S
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've stayed at Hotel Ave del Paraiso at the beginning of my trip, at the end of November and it was really a pleasure to stay few days in this hotel in the middle of San Jose.
I feared a little bit the big city but if you're traveling alone (with friends or family too of course!) this is the best place you can choose!
Very well located, by the University area of San Jose, you've a taxi service right out of the hotel.
The staff is really nice and always welcoming with a smile.
I asked them if it was possible to leave part of my luggages, as I was going to visit Guanacaste for a week. They took care of everything I left there, and I found all my stuff at the end of my trip, when I spent the last night, before leaving Costa Rica! I've really appreciate it!
The hotel is very clean and quite. Great breakfast every morning and a lovely garden outside!
If I go back I definitely would book the same place! Thank you for all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Conzu73
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a really pretty property, just steps away from the UCR campus. It has several different buildings, including some private cabañas (we stayed in one), and lovely gardens.

Our room included a reasonably comfortable bed, ceiling fan, fridge and tv. Bathroom was small and water not quite hot enough, but fine. There is nice outdoor seating around the hotel (in our case, a private terraza). Free wifi that worked almost all of the time.

Breakfast (included) was pretty good. Variety of fresh fruits, cereals, juices (try the "cas"!), eggs (scrambled and hard boiled options), ham, cheese (very good), breads (disappointing), coffee. If you don't want coffee out of an urn, there is a really nice café, Cracovia, just in front of the hotel with first rate espresso.

Front desk staff was helpful and friendly, Kenneth, in particular, who helped us rent a car.

While those wishing to spend time in museums may prefer to stay in San José´s supremely unattractive downtown, you can actually walk there in about 20 minutes from the hotel (or take a short taxi ride).

For food, Cracovia is an excellent option for lighter fare (crepes, sandwiches, salads). There are also other restaurants at the bottom of the driveway to the right, including a Japanese one (that we didn't try). Actually I'd recommend crossing the street and heading down the highway to the right a bit to right before the traffic circle, to the Antares minimall, where there is an excellent Peruvian restaurant, Chancay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business