Hotel Ave del Paraiso
Excellent 5/5
    Hotel Aranjuez(San Jose)
    • Breakfast included
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewshot watermajor roadcosta ricacable tvfresh fruitevery morningtwo nightspolloa great place to stayucruniversityuniversidaddowntowncerealartworklaundry
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've stayed at Hotel Ave del Paraiso at the beginning of my trip, at the end of November and it was really a pleasure to stay few days in this hotel in the middle of San Jose.
    I feared a little bit the big city but if you're traveling alone (with friends or family too of course!) this is the best place you can choose!
    Very well located, by the University area of San Jose, you've a taxi service right out of the hotel.
    The staff is really nice and always welcoming with a smile.
    I asked them if it was possible to leave part of my luggages, as I was going to visit Guanacaste for a week. They took care of everything I left there, and I found all my stuff at the end of my trip, when I spent the last night, before leaving Costa Rica! I've really appreciate it!
    The hotel is very clean and quite. Great breakfast every morning and a lovely garden outside!
    If I go back I definitely would book the same place! Thank you for all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
    2  Thank Conzu73
    Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a really pretty property, just steps away from the UCR campus. It has several different buildings, including some private cabañas (we stayed in one), and lovely gardens.

Our room included a reasonably comfortable bed, ceiling fan, fridge and tv. Bathroom was small and water not quite hot enough, but fine. There is nice outdoor seating around the hotel (in our case, a private terraza). Free wifi that worked almost all of the time.

Breakfast (included) was pretty good. Variety of fresh fruits, cereals, juices (try the "cas"!), eggs (scrambled and hard boiled options), ham, cheese (very good), breads (disappointing), coffee. If you don't want coffee out of an urn, there is a really nice café, Cracovia, just in front of the hotel with first rate espresso.

Front desk staff was helpful and friendly, Kenneth, in particular, who helped us rent a car.

While those wishing to spend time in museums may prefer to stay in San José´s supremely unattractive downtown, you can actually walk there in about 20 minutes from the hotel (or take a short taxi ride).

For food, Cracovia is an excellent option for lighter fare (crepes, sandwiches, salads). There are also other restaurants at the bottom of the driveway to the right, including a Japanese one (that we didn't try). Actually I'd recommend crossing the street and heading down the highway to the right a bit to right before the traffic circle, to the Antares minimall, where there is an excellent Peruvian restaurant, Chancay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
    1  Thank profegringo
    Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Ave del Paraiso gives a flavour of Costa Rica in an area where the choice is limited. The garden, terraces and superior rooms are all great assets. The staff is friendly. On the downside: the traffic noise from the nearby road, and breakfast is a bit scanty. The first night water supply in the room was interrupted but this was quickly remedied. Many nice restaurants in the nearby Escalante part of San José. There is no swimmingpool (can't undo the rating I put in by accident).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed May 15, 2013

Staff is very nice and helpful but hotel... not so great. We had to stay for few days.

For the price you are getting very small room with no aircondition, which is a big suprise, considering it's very hot there. No aircondition but fan in the room, so you can surivive. Bathrooms are not really well mantained. Generally saying hotel needs a bit of renew - everything looks a bit worn. Breakfast - Not much choice, everything cold and not very tasty, but just around the corner you will find great cafeteria.

I think this place can work for a people during business trips. If you are planning to stay there longer with the family, I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
    Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hotel Ave del Paraiso is next door to the University of San Jose with easy access to the downtown and surrounding area. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and while we were there during a "slow time" of the year, staff were happy to provide us with a free traditional Costa Rica breakfast.

Room Tip: We had a room with a king size bed that had live plants growing right in the bathroom.
    • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple