“Great family run hotel, great location”

Hotel Ave del Paraiso
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in San Pedro
setauket
“Great family run hotel, great location”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Whenever we stay there we enjoy the service and full breakfast. It is an oasis in the busy part
of San Jose, great location for getting around the city and right at the gates of the University. They also run a cool little Cafe Krakovia, good coffee, pastries, sandwiches, a bit of a student hangout. All in All first rate

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Easton, Connecticut
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Rooms were small, bed was old and uncomfortable, and, service was less than minimal. A simple request for ice was denied. A simple request for a cup of coffee as I wait for the 6am taxi was denied, even when it had already been brewed - "It is only served at the 7am breakfast" was the excuse. Rooms were very bright at night, as the glass doors and curtains did not block the incredibly bright street lights. Don't plan on there being shampoo. The soap provided is very cheap. The breakfast, every day, was minimal. Though, the staff seemed to enjoy a better breakfast, as someone was eating something that smelled wonderful. The guests were stuck with cold, scrambled eggs, unripe fruit, stale bread and cheap cold cuts.

If you want to stay in an expensive hostel, this is the place for you. If you are a 22 year old backpacker and sharing a room with three others, this might be the place for you. If you are looking for a place that is worth the cost, then steer clear of Ave de Paraiso. It is shamelessly transparent that the owner, who appears to live on the premise, makes his/her money by taking advantage of travelers who don't know what they are getting into, hence the lack of service and the expensive sports car parked at the owner's residence.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank mdkaye
Liberia, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My main issue with this place, as mentioned in a prior review, is that they tell you one price and then charge you a horrible exchange rate to inflate the price. I was quoted, as it says on their whiteboard behind the reception desk, $73 but due to their unjust way of manipulating the exchange rate I was charged around $80. The people at the reception which I think may be the owner seems to care less about the client's stay and providing an enjoyable experience. The room was clean but really outdated and the hot water in the bathroom nearly scalded my wife (yes I do know how to use showers in CR). The one positive is its location which is basically on the UCR campus and within a 5 minute walk to the mall San Pedro. If you don't need to stay this close to the UCR I suggest looking elsewhere. Poor business practices and overpriced, period.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DHCR
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed April 17, 2011

This hotel operates a scam, giving you a discount then changing the currency exchange to offset the discount. They say the price inclusive of tax then tax you. 35 year of travel and I have never seen this. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for details in writing,
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Jedard1946
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I stayed a week at Hotel Ave del Paraiso during a recent trip to San Jose for work. For $55 a night I got breakfast and was able to walk to a few of my meetings that were in the barrio of La California. Downtown is also an easy walk (about 30 minutes) or bus ride. Taxis are inexpensive in San Jose, so that is always another option when you have cash on you.

The hotel staff were extremely nice. They weren't the most helpful -- the know a lot about tours and can call a taxi in a flash.

The room was clean and neat. However, it is winter here and got pretty cold at night. Unfortunately the hot water was only working somewhat. It was really hot at first, but about 30 seconds later I would need to turn off the cold water altogether. If you are not used to cool showers it could be a huge problem!

The cafe and Japonese restaurant in front the hotel are also great options. I enjoyed walking around UCR while I was here -- there is a loop around the campus that takes about 20-25 minutes.

A great deal. Breakfast is nothing special -- eggs, some bread (they should really get a toaster!!) and american cheese and some good fresh cheese, too. I would have liked to see gallo pinto (rice and beans mixed up) served for breakfast too. Since it is something traditional and very tasty. Nice place to stay. Also close to the San Pedro Mall (not anything too exciting...but something to do if you are into shopping or want to see a movie).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank CapMac06
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I loved this hotel! Very convenient to the San Pedro area and the university, the hotel features gardens, free breakfast in an enclosed patio, a jacuzzi, and outdoor workout area. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and helped us arrange for a car rental (they called several agencies to get the best rates, and had them come pick us up at the hotel). I would recommend asking for a room in a building separate from the lobby area if you are a light sleeper (there are 4 total buildings). Mini fridge in all rooms.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New England
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I was in San Jose for a conference at the university and its location can't be beat if you are doing something there. It's about 50 meters from the main university entrance and was a much better option than most of the official conference hotels. It's off a pretty major road behind a few restaurants. There is some street noise but it's generally pretty quiet and the grounds are quite nice. It seems like there is a very wide range of types and qualities of rooms. The first two days I stayed there with a couple of other people in a "standard double" that was not particularly impressive. It was OK, but the walls were kind of thin, the mattress quality wasn't fantastic, and it was a little dreary. The next three days they were booked and had to move me to the a more expensive "superior" room (there's also a middle level of "standard lux"). This room was the complete opposite. it was huge with high wood beamed ceilings, plaster walls, tile floors, a kitchenette area, a nice bright blue tiled bar area, etc. It's not clear that all of the rooms had such a contrast. I peeked into a few of the rooms that I think were probably the cheapest level but had a certain charm. They were small rooms with one or two single beds and a shared bathroom but seemed pleasant enough. There are a number of nice, comfy living rooms scattered throughout the various buildings and they have wireless internet throughout. We stayed there the first night we arrived in Costa Rica and then went out for a five day tour of the countryside. I had brought my laptop for the conference at the university and didn't want to take it on our tour and so I left a couple of small bags including my laptop at the hotel. I admit I was a bit nervous given a previous review on this site. I don't know if there are new owners since that review (which was in 2005) or whether I just got lucky, but I had no problems. They brought me back to a room along a back hallway where they labeled and stored my bags. It was a locked room, but I wouldn't necessarily call it high security.

• Liked — Convenient location.
  • Disliked — Some of the rooms not as nice.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pedro
#56 of 76 in San Jose
Hotel Aranjuez
Hotel Aranjuez
#6 of 76 in San Jose

Been to Hotel Ave del Paraiso? Share your experiences!