“great atmosphere,great value for money”
Review of Casa Kibi Kibi

Casa Kibi Kibi
Reviewed February 8, 2014

i stayed there for 17 days great nights sleep very chilled atmosphere among the residents from all different parts of the world extremely good location in a very relaxed neighbourhood and great value for money.

Room Tip: the single room with own bathroom is a goodroom.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Casa Kibi Kibi was a very positive experience for our family. Shirani, the Costa Rican proprietor, is the son of an extremely prominent and well known indigenous rights expert. Shirani has a masters degree from a Scandinavian university, has traveled through the USA, and speaks fluent, accent free english. He is very hospitable.

We liked the location because its close to Zapote, a suburb home to the annual Christmas carnival and rodeo. The house is located in a fairly affluent suburb. You will have extremely easy access to a 24 hour taxi stand and supermarket. Both are within sight of the front door, they are located not even a stone's throw away.

Otherwise, the bus ride into downtown takes about 20-30 minutes and cost about $1.50 per person. That being said, there's not much to do in central downtown that you wouldn't expect to find in any other large central American metropolis: a market, gold museum, and endless pan-flute bands.

My mother, who is 55 and myself (I'm 25) chose Casa Kibi Kibi because she's interested in retiring to Costa Rica and wanted to get a feel for 'Tico' life beyond the confines of a hotel. The two most important things to her on the face of the planet are a good smelling, clean hotel room and getting a great bargain. At Casa Kibi Kibi, we found both.

This is the perfect destination for people who are visiting relatives at Universidad Latino or for people who have an extended stay in San Jose. If you are flying into or out of San Jose, you should stay in Alajuela, which is right next to the airport and not an hour or so drive away.

I would suggest getting the $35 ride from the airport to Casa Kibi Kibi that Shirani offers. The taxi costs about the same, but because there are no street signs or house numbers in San Jose, going to a specific residential address like Casa Kibi Kibi could be tricky for the taxi driver. Be sure to indicate which airport you are flying into, as that caused a small snag in our travel plans.

Also, while this was my first time using air B&B, I have traveled to about 25 countries and stayed in over sixty hostels. I am an experienced traveler and I understand the expectations for a guest house. That being said, we had a great time and I don't know why you wouldn't either.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I found Casa Kibi Kibi online and received a prompt response from the owner. I visited the guest house the same day and decided right then that I wanted to make that my home for the next 4 weeks. It was very clean, I loved my room, the property was well run and the location was convenient to the school where I took my TEFL course down the hill in San Pedro (near the University.) This property by far was the best I've found in the area. Having the market across the street and the local bar/restaurant adjacent to the house was great too! Check it out, I think you'll like it to!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Casa Kibi Kibi was a great place to stay while I was getting my feet on the ground in Costa Rica. I am an ESL teacher and the Kibi Kibi house was a great environment for getting my work done and traveling around the San Pedro-San Jose area. It was always clean, provided all necessary utilities, and if I ever had an issue, Shirani, was able to remedy it quickly and efficiently. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed here two months, using it as a base to take one, two, and more day trips to sites in the Central Valley. Casa KibiKibi is clean and quiet. No bugs. The inside courtyard is beautiful as well. I would go back.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am an English teacher who recently stayed in Casa Kibi Kibi for a month to get my feet on the ground here in Costa Rica. I rented for a month due to the economical long-term rate and the proximity to universities and easy bus routes into the center of San Pedro and San Jose. The house is well-maintained and super clean, thanks to Shirani and Maria, the sweet woman who does the cleaning. The common areas are really comfortable, and the garden with fresh herbs and flowers adds a nice touch. Shirani is a very interesting, intelligent person who is happy to help with bus routes and connections for tours and lodging around the country. I made a few good friends there during my stay with whom I had dinner and enjoyed some nights out. I'd recommend Casa Kibi Kibi to travelers, students, and teachers of all ages. It was a mixed group of folks from different backgrounds, much more relaxed than the typical downtown hostel or home stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the garden are more private and independent if you have the extra money to spend. I ren...
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Thank you to Costa Rica, San José, San Pedro, Vargas Araya, and Casa Kibi Kibi for a most excellent stay! I was a student for 5 weeks at Veritas University and my girlfriend was on vacation. I took the bus 20 to 30 minutes each morning and afternoon. It was a great way to see the city. Shirani was wonderful. He had actual answers for most of our questions whereas that was not the case with a lot of other Ticos. They do not know how to say I don´t know in Costa Rica so answers were subjective at times. But Shirai was completely bilingual and if he wasn´t sure of an answer, he helped us find anything and everything out. It was wonderful. Good security. Good neighborhood. Close to the bus, a grocery store, restaurants, shops and a mall. And San Pedro was a great place to call home base as well. Thanks a million!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family