“Home away from Home!”
Review of Casa Kibi Kibi

Casa Kibi Kibi
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at Casa Kibi Kibi in January and February of 2013. I felt right at home here, and would recommend this house to anyone passing through the area! Shirani has done a wonderful job creating a safe and comfortable space that is conducive to working, enjoying, and learning about all that Costa Rica has to offer! I really enjoyed meeting everyone and having breakfast with fellow travellers everyone morning. I look forward to returning to Casa Kibi Kibi as soon as possible!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at Casa Kibi Kibi for one month (June 2013), and absolutely loved it.

First, as a single woman with little traveling experience, the home felt quite secure and safe. Especially the rooms with courtyard-facing windows feel as if they are in a nicely insulated little bubble.

Second, the people I met at the house were wonderful. Shirani is a really nice guy with great stories, and the house has sort of built up a culture of friendliness and caring. If you want to keep to yourself, it is quite easy to do so -- but if you're ever feeling lonely the layout of the house is really conducive to hanging out, sharing dinner, etc.

Third, the quality of my sleep was phenomenal at this house. The beds are NOT the perfect feather-top beds of fancy chain hotels, but they are very comfortable. The sheets were soft and cleaned really well weekly by Maria (whose sweet personality warrants another paragraph). The location of the house allows for very quiet nights as well. My only complaint is that the walls between rooms are rather thin, so you could get unlucky with a very chatty neighbor.

The kitchens are well supplied and clean, but I found myself not very inspired to cook due to knife dullness, slightly warped frying pans (they really were tricky to use on the electric stovetop), etc. This is a very minor complaint but I thought I'd mention it.

The showers are, as others have mentioned, really satisfying.

The laundry situation was really convenient. The laundry room is large, clean, and bright, with space to air-dry your clothes, a nice iron and ironing board, and a good washer and dryer.

I really miss Casa Kibi Kibi, and I'm already plotting ways to return!! I would recommend the place to any friends!

Some caveats: it was a little bit inconvenient that there were no real "staff" posted 24/7 in the house. Shirani is very well-organized, but he was often out running errands, etc. during the day. So if you have a question for him, often you can't just saunter out of your room and ask him; you need to send him an email (to which he will quite promptly respond), call him, or call his parents (who are really sweet and live nearby). This was slightly annoying on one or two occasions, but overwhelmingly I preferred it to a sterile-feeling, expensive hotel!!

Room Tip: I chose a room with private bathroom because I was afraid the shared bathrooms would be messy/proble...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at Casa Kibi Kibi for a couple of weeks on my vacation in Costa Rica. I really liked the place! The facilities were clean, the small garden was beautiful, there was hot water in the shower and the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. The place and the neighborood felt safe. Shirani and all of the guests I met were very friendly and helpful. At the same time I could find peace in an own private room with an own bathroom, and even in the living rooms it was easy to concentrate on completing one's own tasks/work/reading/writing emails etc. Seemed like a perfect place even for a longer stay, if one is supposed to study or work in Costa Rica.

This was my first trip to Latin America - and the arrival in the Casa Kibi Kibi with the trusworthy driver Fernando made a very good first impression - in the situation I did not quite know what to expect from the new country and culture. Not too many people I knew from before have been to Costa Rica, so it was great to get advice of what to see and how things work from other guests and Shirani. He also recommended some best tours and even made some of the bookings. It was good, as then I could trust that those tour companies are reliable (my country's authorities actually warn tourists about some of the Costa Rican tour/adventure companies without much further explanations).

I liked the neighborood: it was very useful to have a big supermarket, cafeterias, a bus stop and taxis within 100 meters or in front of the house. Also it felt safe to walk around further, even all the way to salsa classes near the San Pedro mall in the daytime (did not try in the dark). I was just told to hide any valuables and watch out the traffic.

All in all, I thought Casa Kibi Kibi gave a good value for the money and was an excellent starting-point for exploring Costa Rica. In addition, I did enjoy the free mangos!! =)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at Casa Kibi Kibi for a couple of nights, and used it as a starting point for travelling within the country. It has a homey feel to it, which I really liked. The rooms were nice and clean, and contained everything a traveller might need. It seemed like most of the people that lived there were there on a long term basis, but I thought it was quite practical even for the short period I was there. The owner is super-friendly and service minded. I can recommend anyone going to San José to stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was a guest Casa Kibi Kibi for about 4 months while I was studying at a nearby university. From the very start, Shirani was the most gracious and helpful host that I ever could have asked for. From reserving my room to setting up a ride at the airport for me, Shirani went above and beyond for all of his guests. The house was clean and had plenty of amenities for a week long stay or a year long stay. Moreover, the prices were very reasonable for the service received. As for location, 50 meters to a grocery store, 10 meters to a taxi stand, 100 meters to the bus stop. Fantastic and extremely safe location. I would highly recommend the Kibi Kibi to any traveler!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I came to Casa Kibi Kibi to look for a job while finding a more permanent place to live. The house was inviting with great vibes and energy. The rooms were comfortable with I slept on an amazing bed! I met Don Jose and Shirani, who both have outgoing fun personalities. It was a perfect place to spend some time, conveniently located close to the buses and markets. There was fresh fruit everyday for anyone who wanted to eat it. The house felt like home. After being there for four days, I had found the perfect house to live in the mountains. In 26 years I have never lived in or near a city and while Kibi Kibi is not in the inner city, it still has many people around. I get anxious and start panicking when I am out and around so many people all the time. After finding the mountain house, I decided to move right away. I was aware of the policies regarding refunds without sufficient notice, but I asked Shirani if there was anyway to recover some of the money I had paid for a full months rent, as I only stayed there four days. He made some phone calls and came back to tell me they would only charge me a weeks rent! He was empathetic to my situation of needing to live in the mountains, as I have my whole life, because being near the city was giving me high levels of anxiety. He refunded a good portion of my money on super short notice and also assisted me in packing the car. I am truly grateful to have encountered such sincere and willing individuals such as Don Jose and Shirani. I recommend this house to anyone passing through. Gracias por todo. Tuanis y Pura vida siempre! What a great experience with great, fun, caring, kind individuals! Thank you for helping and understanding! If I ever need a night to stay, I will definitely return! Until then, I will be enjoying my new home in the mountains. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Room was small but clean and with a really comfortable bed. The room faces in on a little garden/courtyard area so nice and quiet. Good powerful shower. The place feels like someone's home rather than a hotel!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo