“Stylish, Clean, Comfortable”
Review of Hostel Urbano

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We checked around in several places and found Hostel Urbano to have a great price for what it offered. The room was not the cheapest or the most expensive. However the design, service, fascilities, breakfast and accessability were superb. San Pedro is just down the way from downtown San Jose, and in the same square as the chruch. Coming from the center of SJ it's just past San Pedro mall.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Hey Cecilia!!! Thanks so much for your review!!! its always nice to hear what people think of our hostel and it is so fulfilling to read good comments!!!
Hope all is good and hope your travels were great!!!
Take Care

There are newer reviews for Hostel Urbano

Reviewed June 23, 2012

First of all, you should just go here without hesitation. Great location. Great staff. Clean, clean, and clean. Coffee and breakfast in am. Owners and staff are soooo nice. Kate, Jane, Danny, Auntonio, Lauren, and the parents make you feel at home. That is really what it is, it is a home, your home. Great value with restaurants, malls, and all you need in walking distance. Bus is right out front and the train is 2 minutes behind. Yard is spectacular, kitchen is big and fully stocked, tv room is comfy, computer area is nice, and there a re several other sitting areas and spaces. The end!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thomas!!!! How are you??? aw so nice to read your review!!! thank you so much Thomas!!! we miss you here!!!! have you been able to cross to Colombia on your motorcycle already?? oh gosh such an adventure you are in!!!! We all wish you the best not only on your trip but in life, it was such a blessing to have you stay here with us!! hope your family and friends are all well much love and caring from all of us!!!!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

What a fantastic hostel to stay at... I would argue that this is the best hostel in all of central america. I stayed in both private and dorm rooms, both we extremely well maintained and very clean. It has a great location near the university of costa rica. Its near many restaurants and shops. Less than a 5 min walk to a very nice mall. Anything you need is within a safe walking distance. The hostel staff is absolutely amazing. They offer a free breakfast in the morning. They were also some of the most friendly and helpful people I have met. They go out of there way to make sure you are happy. I don't speak spanish so they gladly helped with phone calls, taxis, buses... anything I was having problems with or needed help with. I even ran into some problems while traveling, I remembered them saying to contact them if I needed help, so I did and they completely sorted out the problems I was having. I also accidentally left some clothes(socks) when I checked out... they emailed me and offered to store them until I was able to come back. What a great group of people. I WILL stay here everytime I come to san jose, and I will be recommending them to anyone else I meet that is heading that way. You couldn't ask for a better hostel experience. A+++

• Stayed: May 2012
Hostel U, Owner at Hostel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Hey Brian!!! Waw such an amaysing review!!! We are so happy we were able to help out with anything you needed!! It is quite an honor to read your comments, gosh they are nice, thanks for this!! and we still have your socks!! jejeje so hopefully we will have you back to visit some day soon!!! hope your travels go great!!! keep on having fun!!! wish you the best!!

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was only planning to stop in San José for the day while travelling from the Caribbean coast to the Pacific coast, but I was tired so I decided to stay for the night at Hostel Urbano. Well, that night turned into 3 or 4 and I even came back for a night at the end of my trip!

This place was completely renovated a couple months ago and all the furniture is brand new. And there's a nice background where people can hang out and drink and grill food. Plus, I think that San Pedro is the nicest place to be in San José because it's a little safer and you're right next to the university, so it has a college town feel.

But my favorite thing about Hostel Urbano was definitely the people. Jane and her gang are super nice and helpful and make you feel like you're at home. Thanks guys!

Hostel U, Owner at Hostel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Adam!!!! how are you? hope everything is good back home!! thanks so much for your review!!! It was so nice to have you stay with us really!! and your comments are very much appreciated from all of us!!! Thanks again and hope to see you back in Costa some day!!!!
Best Wishes

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I have had two wonderful stays at Hostel Urbano, and I would like to thank Jane and her fellow hosts! The hostel has a great vibe...very relaxing, comfortable, hip, and fun. It is charmingly decorated with an artistic flair, and the private room I stayed in was spacious, clean, and lovely.

A fresh breakfast is served every morning, and during my stays, I enjoyed pancakes, gallo pinto, and fruit. I also loved chatting with the hosts, who are very friendly, and I appreciated feeling warmly welcomed each time I visited. The neighborhood surrounding the hostel is also lively and fun, but noise was no problem in terms of going to sleep.

Many thanks, Jane and company, for your hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Hostel U, Owner at Hostel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Lucy!!! Awww Lucy thanks so much for you beautiful comments!!! I think the good vibes are made with the nice people like you, that come and stay with us for one or several nights! You have been lucky to have the gallo pinto!! since we serve it only over the weekends, but it is nice to have quite a complete breakfast to start the days of traveling, for sure!! Hope to have you visiting soon Lucy!! and you know if you need anything just let us know!! Take care

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed for a weekend and have absolutely cothing bad to say about Hostel Urbano. Great location, great service, great staff! The accomodations are amazing and the the services they provide exceed our expectations. Had a great time staying here, relaxing in the backyard, chatting and hanging around with the owner Jane or some of the other guests.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms near the garden. They're more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hostel U, Owner at Hostel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Thanks so much!!! Its so fulfilling to read your review!! and to know you had a great experience since we honestly give our love and caring to what we do here!! Hope all is well back home in Guatemala!!! and hope to see you guys soon!!! Best Regards

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I've been travelling around Costa Rica for several years and have stayed in various hostels in San Jose, but Urbano is by far the best, and I've been to stay three times now. It is brand new and the building is stunning, with lots of photos and artwork hanging about, and a very cool 1970s and art deco aesthetic. The atmosphere is so welcoming and relaxing thanks to the owner Jane and her boyfriend, who are super helpful and sweet, and there is always someone going out to party at night. There is a garden and pool table, a big lounge with cable, free wifi and an immaculate kitchen, plus comfy beds with white sheets and and bright dorms. The hostel is also located in San Pedro, which is hands-down the safest and trendiest area to go out in, and since the university is based here there are lots of cool bars and cheap eating options within walking distance. Why stay downtown where it is dirty and dangerous at night?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Hostel U, Owner at Hostel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Rob!!!! We miss you all ready!!! How is Honduras? I am sure you are having a blast!! Thanks so much for your review!! It is so nice to hear your comments Rob, we think San Pedro is also hands down the place to stay since everything is so close and with university prices!! Definitely having a BBQ when you come back!! So keep us posted!! Have a great time on your Central America adventures and thanks again for everything Rob!
Best Wishes

#1 of 77 in San Jose
Hostel Bekuo
Hostel Bekuo
#2 of 13 in San Pedro

Been to Hostel Urbano? Share your experiences!