“Awesome Day”

Exploradores Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in San Pedro
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were picked up at our hotel in San Jose by their bus and continued on with their 1 day Pacquare River Trip. My wife and I were both beginners and both enjoyed every minute. The guides were patient and very friendly. They were always concerned with our safety and teaching us about the river.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were picked up from our hotel in San Jose and taken to the exploration centre for breakfast and safety briefing. The breakfast was adequate. The day we went rafting the water level was quite low and slow moving in some parts however the rapids still offered some excitement. The guides knew the river really well. The lunch was prepared hygenically and everything was fresh. At the end of the day we were dropped off at our final destination in Puerto Veijo(4-5 hours Southwest of San Jose). Doing this cut down transportation time and cost. I would recommend this trip to anyone. If you are wanting a faster pace then you should look at going in the wet season.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I took the 3 day/2 night trip with Exploradores Outdoors in March 2013. The accommodations for those two nights were a bit rustic to say the least given the extravagant $708 USD they charge. We were expecting more activities in Tortuguero but apart from a brisk walk in Tortuguero village on the first day, we did not do much else. The next day, we went around a few canals and did a hike. The hole thing in less than two hours before we were told that we needed to leave. We would have liked to go around the canals in a kayak but this was not part of the deal. In our next destination, we saw a waterfall and that's about it. The highlight was definitely the rafting on the third day which is awesome but we were soured by the money and the time we had wasted on the previous two days.

When I came home and looked at my credit card, surprise! I was overcharged. A mysterious charge of 5% was randomly added to the amount of 708 USD I had agreed to pay. Nowhere in the documents did it mention that they take the liberty to charge people 5% more. I contacted Exploradores Outdoors and questioned the charge and they repeatedly denied overcharging me and simply replied it was the correct rate. I contacted my credit card who is investigating the fraud.

Based on this experience, I would not recommend this company. They have been dishonest in and the 3 day/2 night excursion to Tortuguero/rafting Pacuare is overpriced.

colinsito, Public Relations Manager at Exploradores Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2017

Hi sylviacarmen,

I'm sorry to hear that you felt the Tortuguero + Pacuare Expedition wasn't a good value. It should be made clear that the price of $708 is for two people and includes round trip transportation, accommodations, all meals, the rafting trip and four tours. We feel this a fair price for a short trip packed with activities.
We do not charge an extra 5% to our customers, so I can't say what happened there. If it had been a mistake on our part we most certainly would have corrected it. I do know that banks sometimes charge fees for international charges, but regardless I hope it was sorted out with the bank.
Thank you for your business.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We took a 3-day, 2-night rafting and rain forrest trip. In all honesty, the trip was quite nice and we enjoyed ourselves.

However, upon return home to our credit card statements, we saw a significant error (approx 10%). We contacted Exploradores and they replied via e-mail that they use their own exchange rate, which is independent of the actual bank rate. Of course, we had not agreed to this in our payment exchange online, and asked them to refund the difference of approx. $60. There was no response from the company and we were forced to file a fraud complaint with our credit card company.

Think twice before booking with this company. It is a poor business practice to try to further rip-off customers who are willing to pay the already hefty prices on offer. Beware.

1  Thank Choco18
colinsito, Public Relations Manager at Exploradores Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2017

Hi Choco18,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip with our company and I would like to take a moment to address your concerns. As explained in our reservation policy, the exchange rate that is used is taken from the local bank in Costa Rica one day prior to your tour. If there was a mistake made on our part we would have been happy to correct it.
We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed your holidays in Costa Rica.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I have been whitewater rafting a number of times in Yosemite and were excited to try out the Pacuare. Our guide from previous rafting had suggested it as a "must-do". We did a lot of research on companies and were very happy with our final choice. Very well run operation. Professional and a great option for people wanting to travel to other parts of the country. The fact that transportation to and from is included is amazing. Price is very reasonable seeing as it includes both breakfast and lunch and travel! We were picked up from San Jose and transported to Arenal after a day on the river. Our driver Oliver was GREAT! We loved him. He was happy to suggest places to eat in the city and things to do when we arrived in arenal. If you are looking for class 4/5 rapids I would suggest you go when the river is higher in the rainy season. We loved the views on the trip but would have enjoyed it much more if the water would have been higher. We like ot think we are seasoned rafters so we enjoy the thrill.