“Tortuguero trip”

Exploradores Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in San Pedro
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I used Exploradores to go to Totuguero National Park. I stayed for 2 nights/ 3days. We are from Canada. I went there with my two kids (7 and 10) We were picked up from our hotel in Arenal. Drove 4 hours to their main base/ terminal where we had a wonderful lunch. Then drove through a never ending banana field on a bumpy road to the boat dock where we went through the delta and canals of Tortuguero to the Rana Rojas lodge. This lodge is amazing. Beautiful and in the middle of the jungle, we saw sloths, toucans monkeys and parrots from outside our room. The pool is beautiful, shaped like a sea turtle.. its beautiful. The staff and guides were amazing. Also food provided was very good. This was one of my highlights of our 15 day trip. On our return to the main base/terminal they had banana splits waiting for the kids which was very appreciated.

I highly recommend this trip!

2  Thank nb414

Reviewed January 1, 2013

White Water Rafting with Exploradores on a 2 day trip was clearly the highlight of a great Costa Rica trip for my family. d
They picked us up at our hotel on time, gave us an informative fun ride to their center, a wonderful breakfast and then set us off to raft. We were comfortable with the security of leaving our bags there while we rafted.
We chose the two day raft trip. After three hours of rafting and a couple of small hikes, we climbed up to the camp area. it was spectacular with simple cabins set among wonder ful gardens. The main space was a large open air kitchen and dining and relaxing space.
The guides were great on the river and then once at the camp they cooked us a terrific lunch and a classic, excellent dinner.
Day two of rafting was even better. We are novices, but felt confident going through the class 3 and 4 rapids.
No question, this group and this adventure is our top recommendation for a visit to Costa Rica.

1  Thank Bobwphilly
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I am an avid white water rafter in Canada, and had to raft the Pacuare River while in Costa Rica, and I chose to go with Exploradores, and I am so happy that I did.

The trip was amazing, the crew/guides not only knew the river very well, but were amazing cooks and great people.

The two day trip exposes you to amazing wild life and scenery, fantastic rapids and a great over night stay on the river at Pacuare River Lodge. The facility is just stunning and self powered, with spectacular views and the right amount of comforts to make you feel like it is way more than camping, but not taking away from the beautiful rain forest that you are surrounded by.

The food was high quality and prepared well, just make sure to buy some wine or beer when you stop in town before the rafting trip starts if you want to have a few cocktails after the first day of rafting. The websites leads you to believe that these will be provided and the are not.

1  Thank bigjoemac
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We booked this trip directly with Exploradores Outdoors on their site with no problems. They picked us up at 6 am at out hotel and after picking up a few others did the 1:45 minute drive to the river.

After a comprehensive safety brief and testing our paddling and listening skills we headed out on the trip. This was the first time they had been on the river in 3 weeks due to the high water levels which made this an even more amazing run. I have rafted in some great places but this trip was one of the best. The rapids were amazing - I believe a total of 42 in all.

Our guide with Michael and he knew every inch of the river and since the people on our raft could follow directions and paddled well we got to do some of the more aggressive rapids.

This was a very safe trip. A number of people were concerned since it has a few class 4 rapids and the water was high but they go out of their way to make sure your safe. The equipment was all good. You will wear a rafting life jacket and helmet. They have a number of kayaker's (Alex is amazing) in the water in case anyone falls out and they are always right there to get you.

Near the end of the trip they will let you jump out and swim and float in the water. There are of water falls along that way that make it an even more scenic trip.

They feed you a hearty breakfast as well as lunch. You won't go hungry from either meal. Typically you eat lunch along the river but due to the height of the water we opted to pass and just paddled back to the base and ate there.

There is no need to bring a lot of things with you - maybe a waterproof camera, sunblock and some bug spray for the lunch break. They lock up all of your other items at the base camp.

I can't recommend these guys enough.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked this trip through Gecko Adventures for the trip back to San Jose and of course the rafting. We were supposed to be picked up at 6:00 am in Punta Uva which they were slightly late. Acceptable to me. Monkeymania was passing through our place and my boyfriend also decided nature called (why do men spend so much time on the throne I'll never understand) I hear the beep of the van and go out. Im waiting on the bus and he is still ruling his peopel on the throne. Perhaps I should of told them why we are waiting .... but once he came out and got on the bus he was asked to wipe he's feet on the mat and he ...trying to go the extra mile stepped down and was kind of trying to kick anything off his shoes (which I didn't see anything anyway)..My boyfriend is Cuban so he understood the chatter of the shoes. My thoughts.... here we go. I knew he wasn't into organized trips - thus far things have been great.. oh my. After picking up others he still was stinky asking me if they asked why it took awhile for him to come out... here we go. I'm scared of the rafting ... he is stinky ... what a way to end our vacation. Everything changed for the better. Andreis (turned out to be our guide) was so funny ... he had to get over it. He also gave the "instructions" on rafting. What a funny person. Perhaps the start was a "man" thing.

Rafting was wonderful. Mind you there were moments that I was scared doodooless..but I knew I was safe. Very well organized these people were. A few real strong bodied males in kayaks...should there be problems.

Lunch really impressed me. I assumed we'd stop somewhere and lunch would already be prepared...no .. we brought the food with us and all the guys ...kayak rescuers, gudies etc... prepared a great lunch for us. Each raft carried a small barrell with food. Sandwiches, beans, tortillas, salad and even made these cute little desserts with cookies and something that was quite tasty. They tell you rafting is teamwork and you really see it when they start preparing the lunch. All wore gloves by the way.

The scenery was the most beautiful I have ever seen. We had a few moments that I can only laugh about now. For instance ... our wonderful guide .. Andreis fell off. Wasn't due to hard current... he just did. He was dieing of laughter (as were his co-workers) but we were so comical. I recall the rule ... if you guide falls off...get down... but he was screaming out forward... I got down...some were forward.. others just didn't know... LOL

Then there was the "highside" drama....your raft is sideways and all are supposed to level on the high side... we couldn't. We were stuck back and forth like a washing machine. One of us did fall out ...he fact he fell out twice. Poor guy. I think the first time was painless but the 2nd ..he wasn't stiking out.

Great experience. Andreis is so great ..so funny. The rest were sweeties too, They do take pictures and you can purchase a CD for $25. Well worth the money. They also throw in some nature shots. Best $25 I've ever spent. This adventure is resally worth the money and more. The scenery is to die for. My boyfriend was thrilled after. All the photos have him smiling...me..well I was "getting down"... when I should of been paddling forward in the beginning...it got better. A must do.