See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Prices are ok, 10 for a dorm but we had a private room for 26. Location is great if you want to stay out of town. Close to several bars and restaurants, easy to get a bus to town. Everything is clean, you have hot water, locker and a kitchen available.
Best, staff is very friendly and helpfull.
Not the best, lock from the frontdoor and knife at the kitchen

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Place was OK, the staff was friendly, it was nice to talk to them (there were more employees than guests at that time), we were invited to join them and make some bbq together.

You should have your confirmation with you - they told us we booked different room than we actually did (their mistake), but eventually we get what we booked.

Due to our early bus, we didn't have breakfast.

The location seemed a bit far from everywhere, definitely not walking distance to the city center.
There was wifi, you can watch tv in the common area, it was nice but it didn't look like in the picture on their website.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Really close to Calle de la Amargura, the best street for dancing with locals, so if you're coming or going to the airport you have a great place to hang out in San Jose. I'm staying long term though (discounts for a week or longer), so I can use the kitchens (tupperware!), and be close to the Sunday feria (farmers market), a metal bar, and live music outdoors around the University of Costa Rica. A safe and chill hostel!
Best of all, the dorm beds have wifi and individual light, plugs, and curtains. Perfect if you need to used your phone or laptop anytime and don't want to disturb anyone or pay extra.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed at Castle Tam on two separate occasions and enjoyed my stay both times. The staff (Jonathan, Evan, and Christian) were helpful. There is wifi throughout the hostel, including a good connection in the rooms. The hostel also does a BBQ or dinner night, and has a nice common area with a TV/movies...great for meeting/visiting with other travelers. I stayed in both a private room and a dormitory and both were clean. The bathrooms were clean as well. If I return to San Jose, I will definitely stay at Castle Tam again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank cody954
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Great hostel, everything you need is right there, beds were comfy and showers were always hot and clean. Staff were friendly and called taxis and helped my friends make early airport drop offs. Overall was a great experience and I'll definitely go back to stay again

Stayed: April 2014