“great budget option for san jose”
Review of Castle Tam Hostel

Castle Tam Hostel
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Simple but homely with mostly friendly staff. Close to numerous buses at a short drive from center. 2 equipped kitchens, tv area, heaps of books to borrow on costa rica... Ideal budget option. But no 10$ a night in san jose is not going to buy you a haute cuisine breakfast included in the price but here it does buy you a couple of eggs and bit of fruit to set you going for the day which we were more than happy with. Very good internet connection and speedy laundry service.

Room Tip: Bakerloo was fine
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to stay for one month at the Castle Tam in Costa Rica.

1. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and they had a great sense of humor.

2. The room was basic but very comfortable and clean.

3. Two large kitchens that are fully equipped and you can prepare any type of meal.

4. Ample refrigerator space and 2 microwave ovens.

5. The bathrooms have excellent hot water and shower space.

6. The location is fantastic with public transportation to all of Costa Rica just a short walk from your door.

7. The security is excellent and I never heard of anyone have a problem while I was there.

This is a great place to hang you hat if you are looking for friendly people and a user friendly price.

Room Tip: Make reservations as early as possible
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 1234brandon
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The staff was very unfriendly at all times and didn't make us feel welcome. It seems that there are a few guests who have a TV and because the walls are really thin you could here the tv in the middle of the night when you wanted to sleep. Also the included breakfast contains of 1 slice of bread, 1/2 banana and terrible eggs. I wouldn't go here again when I'm in San Jose!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Sjors d
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I advice all travelers to better stay somewhere else, me and My bf stayed there 2 times in february. First time we felt unwelcome by this Guy that works there, hes literally the worst hostel employee ever, he annoys Every customer by repeting the rules 7 times then he doesnt know anything about customer service, we stayed about 5 nights in a private room, we needed to stay one more and he came to the door at 11 Sharp saying in a robotic voice: i don't know if u can read but u need to tell the STAFF before u stay one more night (check out was at 11) next time got even worse, this dude was like oh u stayed here before rules are the Same, next morning we were looking for him to bring us breakfast so My bf went to the garage to knock on the door and he came super ruse saying to him: i don't know if u can read the signs but u cant go there we have private stuff going on, i mean he is in charge of breakfast and you gotta go and look for him, if u wanna have a Nice time Do Not Go There

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Garyhtr
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I spent another 2 weeks at Castle Tam last July. Again, I enjoyed this stay. The staff is still welcoming and caring that everything goes ok. Coming here every 6 month, I see that Jonathan (the Boss) is always working to upgrade the facilities and the general environment of the hostel.
What I also liked, is the blending of different kind of guests we find always there. Some language students staying there for 6 months, some retired travelling at a slow pace and enjoying the city. And off course Tourists just passing by in San Jose. All together, they form a kind of Hostel Tam Family :)
Another improvment is that we don't need to turn the corner of the street to get our breakfast anymore. The staff cook it for you now !
I would really recommend this hostel, if you are the kind like me who are looking for a relax and good vibe place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night, considered staying another, but the general disposition of the employees was enough for me to want to stay elsewhere. They weren't out right unfriendly, but aloof and disinterested. They certainly didn't do anything to make a person feel welcome in their establishment. Being that this is the hospitality industry (my source of employment,) I'm not going to mention to people when they are performing less than satisfactorily, it's your job to be hospitable. You don't have to be chummy, but nice is required. That being said, when I told a gentleman I was checking out he allowed me to stay in the hostel until I was ready to go and made polite conversation for a couple minutes (the first attempt in my 20 or so hours there.)
The other patrons of the hostel were wonderful! Being super bowl Sunday, they smoked pork and made a great meal! Very lovely people.
The rooms were untidy with garbage on the floor, and the bathrooms were constantly out of toilet paper (I had my own, so didn't mention it,) and the staff will take your alcohol if you leave it in the fridge past nine a.m. Pretty lousy if you ask me, and yes, it's a posted rule, but still ridiculous. The beds were comfortable and each had curtains for privacy. The room was a little loud, but it was election night, it may not be so bad other nights. Wi-Fi worked well, and the courtyard was alright.
I would stay elsewhere for a few more dollars and feel more comfortable and welcome.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Castle Tam for three months while teaching near the San Pedro area. My stay here was truly a remarkable experience and I appreciated the staff graciously ensuring an extremely comfortable environment. I especially enjoyed the fast internet, hot showers, approachable staff, and friendly guests. I also liked how the hostel was really close to many restaurants, shopping centers, and major bus lines. I'm grateful for the friendships I cultivated there and will always think of Castle Tam as my home away from home. Thanks Castle Tam!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo