See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I spent another 2 weeks at Castle Tam last July. Again, I enjoyed this stay. The staff is still welcoming and caring that everything goes ok. Coming here every 6 month, I see that Jonathan (the Boss) is always working to upgrade the facilities and the general environment of the hostel.
What I also liked, is the blending of different kind of guests we find always there. Some language students staying there for 6 months, some retired travelling at a slow pace and enjoying the city. And off course Tourists just passing by in San Jose. All together, they form a kind of Hostel Tam Family :)
Another improvment is that we don't need to turn the corner of the street to get our breakfast anymore. The staff cook it for you now !
I would really recommend this hostel, if you are the kind like me who are looking for a relax and good vibe place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night, considered staying another, but the general disposition of the employees was enough for me to want to stay elsewhere. They weren't out right unfriendly, but aloof and disinterested. They certainly didn't do anything to make a person feel welcome in their establishment. Being that this is the hospitality industry (my source of employment,) I'm not going to mention to people when they are performing less than satisfactorily, it's your job to be hospitable. You don't have to be chummy, but nice is required. That being said, when I told a gentleman I was checking out he allowed me to stay in the hostel until I was ready to go and made polite conversation for a couple minutes (the first attempt in my 20 or so hours there.)
The other patrons of the hostel were wonderful! Being super bowl Sunday, they smoked pork and made a great meal! Very lovely people.
The rooms were untidy with garbage on the floor, and the bathrooms were constantly out of toilet paper (I had my own, so didn't mention it,) and the staff will take your alcohol if you leave it in the fridge past nine a.m. Pretty lousy if you ask me, and yes, it's a posted rule, but still ridiculous. The beds were comfortable and each had curtains for privacy. The room was a little loud, but it was election night, it may not be so bad other nights. Wi-Fi worked well, and the courtyard was alright.
I would stay elsewhere for a few more dollars and feel more comfortable and welcome.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Castle Tam for three months while teaching near the San Pedro area. My stay here was truly a remarkable experience and I appreciated the staff graciously ensuring an extremely comfortable environment. I especially enjoyed the fast internet, hot showers, approachable staff, and friendly guests. I also liked how the hostel was really close to many restaurants, shopping centers, and major bus lines. I'm grateful for the friendships I cultivated there and will always think of Castle Tam as my home away from home. Thanks Castle Tam!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Jonathan is very helpful. I've been in Central America for 2 months now and often ask Jonathan for advice on how to get from place to place.
The hostel is tucked away in a great location, very safe. Close to grocery stores, bars, and shopping. The staff speak english which is a plus because my spanish is less than horrible. Very friendly people here, always willing to help their guests out, and great conversations. If only the breakfast had bacon.... (the real stuff... man I miss bacon) I would most definately recommend this place to anyone passing through San Jose.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stanthewoman
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I've stayed at this hostel several times between 2011-2013. I have always enjoyed my stay, and I have made a lot of friends here. The hostel is situated in an ideal location, close to the University of Costa Rica, public transportation and many bars and stores. I was a five-minute-walk away from the university while I studied there, and later when I was working I could take the bus from two blocks away. The neighborhood is very safe, and there are many opportunities for entertainment. The staff members are very friendly, and always willing to help guests out, by giving directions, sharing their own experiences, giving tourist information and even booking tours for you. While I was there, the staff was very welcoming and would organize social outings, such as taking guests to the farmer's market, the movies, or out to a bar. I have met many travelers from all over the world, and Castle Tam has become my home away from home. I would definitely recommend it to anyone coming to San Jose.

One last thing: I've noticed that some of reviewers that complain about Castle Tam do not take into account that it is a hostel and not a hotel. If people want the Ritz then they should pay for it, otherwise stop complaining.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo