Castle Tam Hostel
$66
$60
Agoda.com
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Kaps Place(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$48
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Aranjuez(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$46
Great 4.5/5
Posada Del Museo(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$68
$99
$89
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 6, 2013

good place for teenagers who enjoy drinking bear and watch tv BUT horrible if you don't. the lazy staff is just inappropiate : they don't speak spanish, and the breakfast is anything but good. what else...bed hurts, dirty place with typico " cucaracha " in the kitchen for breakfast...they call it a castle, i call it a jail.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mimiao
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was our first time in Costa Rica, My boyfriend and I booked a room at Castle Tam for the night we flew in because it was the cheapest place we could find. I was very happily surprised when I walked through the front gates! There is art painted onto the walls, maps of Costa Rica, a map of down town, some flags, Its was so colourful!

Firstly the hostel its self is full of character! Anything you need is there, the kitchens are fully stoked with pots and pans and utensils, you can keep your food in the fridges or in your own little cubby hole in the kitchen, which is great for long stays because you save a whole lot of money cooking your own food. There is a lovely little living room with a T.v and couches, coffee every morning, a cute little court yard with a big beautiful tree and a little grass area, tables and chairs, perfect for eating breakfast on a sunny day :)

That isn't even the best part though,the real charm to Castle Tam is the staff.
From the second we got in they we're very welcoming and helpful, the owner John is a wonderful american man who helped us with everything we need. From getting us towels and giving us directions to actually taking us places, He showed us market and the grocery store and took us out of town to see some great sights and gave us lots of history lessons.
The rest of the staff is fantastic a swell, they are lots of fun and super cool. We spent a lot of time bugging the staff who are in the garage on they're down time (its like the staff room) they made us feel really included.

All and all I could go on forever, we are here for a month and got a great rate, the prices are perfect for young travellers or budget travellers. No it does not look like a 4 star hotel and no you wont get room service and yes there are dust in some corners and the traffic can be loud in the morning and the people can be loud at night but in my opinion you get so much more than what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have to say this place was perfect for what I needed while in San Jose (3 nights on the weekend). It is located 2 blocks from a bus to downtown, near the big San Pedro Mall, and right in the heart of the university district of San Pedro. Lots of night life close by but it was peaceful and safe at Castle Tam. The managers were friendly and helpful when I had questions and they went out of there way to make me feel welcome (props to Castle Tam Manager Hassan) and the price was amazing for the area. I met people from many different countries while staying here and was able to form some real friendships. A group of us went to the bars right across the street from the university of costa rica. If you are looking for budget prices in a great area, go here!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is my second time staying at Castle Tam, and I still recommend it to anyone traveling in San Jose/San Pedro. The staff is extremely friendly and the hostel has an overall friendly and welcoming feel to it. My only concern is that the walls are a bit thin and it can get a bit loud. Otherwise, I think it's a great place, and if you need a hostel in the area, this is the best one to go to for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Castletam is conveniently located near the University of Costa Rica in the neighborhood of San Pedro. The staff is welcoming, the other guests are interesting and the area is a nice respite from downtown San Jose. If you are an exchange student or visiting scholar longer term stays are possible.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business