Castle Tam Hostel
$59
$60
Agoda.com
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Kaps Place(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$48
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Aranjuez(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$46
Great 4.5/5
Posada Del Museo(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$68
Hotel Vesuvio(San Jose)
$59
$56
Good 3.5/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Jonathan has given that extra effort to raise this hostel to another level in hostelries. On my first day he personally escorted me to nearby food stores and restaurants. He helped me and other guests with a multitude of questions and concerns. His long term residents are also an invaluable source of valuable travel information. The entire environment here encourages mutual information sharing. The hostel is also very clean and well maintained. I always felt safe and secure here, which is something for me,as a solo female traveller is a high priority.this will always be my home away from home.not to mention the close proximity to buses and the centre of San Jose.

Room Tip: Reserve ahead, there are many walk-ins here because of Castle Tams high reputation. Don't be disappointed and turned away. At this location and price return guests in the know, reserve ahead.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rose B
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Castle Tam is located in San Pedro, a great little area to relax after lots of travel around Costa Rica, run errands or enjoy the University district. You can simply take a short bus from the center of San Jose to San Pedro and then walk (or catch a cab, if you'd prefer) to the hostel. The hostel has an adorable British theme, which gives it a unique and memorable impression. There are two kitchens, a patio/garden, living room with large television, and other outdoor sitting areas with hammocks. Wifi is accessible in all parts of the hostel and there are computers available for your use as well.

I stayed in a private room while I was there. The bed was large and fairly comfortable. The rooms do look a bit run down and I couldn't help but think the whole place could use a bit of paint and some new sheets for all the beds (the place has a great layout and theme, why not keep it up to date?). I slept well the night but light sleepers might be bothered by some of street noise (ear plugs!). I was impressed by how large and well stocked the kitchens were. Overall, I felt like the hostel was a good choice for budget travelers. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The rooms are clean and nice. There is a shared kitchen with everything you need and a big relaxing area. There are o lot of books about Costa Rica and the owner can always help you with every question. The other guests who are there for a little bit longer are likeable and also helped me with my questions about Costa Rica.

San Pedro is a save and beautiful part of San Jose with a lot of bars and discos. I can recommend this place because of the nice people there and the save and beautiful area!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2013

It just depends on what you were expecting. Yes, it is a little run down, it is a little small, the beds are not super plush -- but it was exactly what my friends and I were looking for. Convenience at a cheap price! And besides, the quirkiness of the place was very enjoyable. If you smoke, you will enjoy the smoking area that has a hammock and a table for you to appreciate the outside weather.

This place even has a kitchen! On our last day, I got a chance to cook my own breakfast because I had to leave before the stipulated time.

I didn't get to use them, but there is a DVD viewing area outside the rooms. A wide selection of DVDs too!

I would say that you would like this place if you are a flexible person who can make do. The people in-charge (Jonathan and his assistant, I think) are very willing to help you arrange for rides or give you directions, even if you don't really see them often around. If you are someone who loves to complain, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Overall, excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Although the hostel is a short bus ride from the center of town it is in a safe area. The staff here are super and have lots of info about activities and give good honest info. The hostel itself is super and easy to live in. Has two kitchens and lots of utensils.I enjoyed my stay here and will certainly return. Full marks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo