See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed for 1 week in September. The price was very reasonable compared to other hostels and quality was great for price paid. The staff works very hard to keep the place clean and cleans the bathrooms, kitchens, and even does laundry and folds clothes for you. They are very knowledgeable and very courteous at taking the time to explain where to go and how to get around everywhere. They arrange a night outing once in a while as well. The location is within walking distance of the large 3 story mall in San Pedro. It is close to the bus stop which is a 5 minute bus ride to downtown San Jose. Staff was helpful at arranging tours for me through other companies and made extra efforts to call tour operators and insist that the driver show up when the tour drivers were not showing up on time. The location is safe as you are away from the hustle and bustle of downtown San Jose and it is even safe to walk around late at night. The nice part is you get Free Wifi for your laptop. Even if you don't have a computer there are usually 3 PC's that you can log onto in the reception area and use the internet. There is a TV in main lounge to watch and chat with other guests. The rooms are clean and bed is comfortable to sleep in. Overall fairly clean and was able to live comfortable at very good rate and both managers put the extra effort to help me out with everything and socialized as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have been staying at this hostel since before it was Castle Tam. This hostel is one of the few close to the university and it allows long term stays, both important to me as a travelling graduate student. Those were both true before Castle Tam entered its new incarnation: but the new incarnation is a lot more fun. The new owners are young and have brought a spirit of hostel unity to the place: frequent bar crawls and other excursions are organized. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a less intense downtown experience of San Jose and especially to anyone visiting or interested in the University.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Adrea G
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I recently stayed at Casltle Tam Hostel for 5 weeks while attending to some business I had in Costa Rica. I was able to book accommodation by email and got replies, sometimes within minutes, and which included their arranging for an airport pickup for my flight which arrived about 9:30 at night. When I arrived, the room was ready, and I was given a quick tour of the faciliies which included 2 kitchens, 3 common bathrooms with hot showers, 2 internet routers, a free skype phone for calls around the world, a lounge with TV, a small cocktail bar that showed movies nearly every night and a comfortable courtyard.

One of the volunteers initiated a bar b que night that was a real hit with the guests, an all- you -can eat feast for just over $5.. Another staff member started a downtown tour to help people get around the city and know something about it. I took the tour and learrned lots. There is plenty of information about buses to destinations and staff help you know how to get there. Anyone visiting Costa Rick knows how you need to the individual bus stations for nearly every destination. The convenience of the hostel in San Pedro great because it is only 2 blocks away from buses to downtown, Carribe bus station, Cartago, and a few other destination.

The staff here are on duty probably from 6 am to well past midnight and although there are some inconsiderate guests who don't do their dishes, most were ready to pitch in and help keep the facilities in good order. The manager has a dedicated cleaning staff who to come in several times a week to wash floors, clean kitchens and bathrooms, and pick up after the few bad eggs who feel that they don't have to clean up. At other times, I have seen the manager himself at 6:15 am doing someone's dirty dishes so that others could comfortably prepare meals. Also while I was there, the other manager was building a fourth bathroom, as well as other repairs that needed doing. All this was timely.

I am planning to go back to Cost Rica in June and because I must be in San Jose for a good part of that time I will most likely stay at Castle Tam again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gero72
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I very much enjoyed my January 2012 at the Castle Tam Hostel in San Pedro, near
San Jose Central. The staff was most accomodating, knowledgeable and helpful.
The location is very good, right near the center of everything, close to malls and
shopping, and yet on a quiet corner. Security and safety were very good. There are
three bathrooms, and central hot water. The guests are a great mixture of different
age groups and backgrounds, and very courteous, friendly, and respectful. The lady
who did most of the cleaning was very thorough and conscientious. The Wi-Fi
worked perfectly. I would recommend Castle Tam to any avid traveler.

Room Tip: Simply look at the available choose the one that fits your situation and pocketbook. I enjoyed the dorm room because it allowed me to meet several interesting people. But I also enjoyed a private room with my own desk, window and closet. Lockers are available.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AdrianSpokane
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed one night at this hostel near UCR in San Pedro, San Jose Costa Rica in March. I've been to Costa Rica now 6 times since 2002. I've done everything from beach vacation to community service in a local village without electricity and have traveled up near the Nicaraugan border and down in the central valley. My friend and I chose this hostel based on location and reviews and were happy with our stay.

This hostel is not the cleanest or the quietest, but it is decidedly safe and friendly. We spend the night here after 5 days at the beach in Gaunecaste. I immediately felt at home with the managers and volunteers working at the hostel, not least of all because they offered beer and snacks at night when I was much in need. In March the air is chilly at night, so bring long sleeves. But fear not- lots of extra blankets available if needed.

We stayed in a room at the front of the building, right behind the reception desk. It was unfortunately a bit noisy with street traffic, but the room itself was decent sized, both bathrooms had working hot water, there were plenty of other guests around at night to socialize, and Jackie (who was working at the hostel) helped provide local information.

Recommended for sociable travelers, especially under the age or 30, who stay up later at night and wake up later in the morning. It's hard to find people working before 10am, so plan ahead if you need information or advice for morning adventures or commutes.

This hostel can be very hard to find at night or if you're unfamiliar with the area, so take the advice given: call for precise directions and you'll find the staff very accommodating.

Room Tip: Rooms behind the patio look like they might be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends