“A Really Good Place to Stay in Los Cabos !”

and 1 more site!
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Modesto, California
“A Really Good Place to Stay in Los Cabos !”
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I bought a studio junior suite for one week through HSI to supplement a 2-week stay in Los Cabos. The first week I stayed at Villa Del Arco, a fine resort in its own right.

Check-in was smooth at Grand Mayan , very friendly staff and I felt it was a well-maintained property. The one issue I have with resorts in Mexico is the sound-proofing is not very good, so I could hear the neighbors talking and scraping chairs on the floor , as well as slamming cupboard doors shut. This is not a problem exclusive to Grand Mayan , I have observed this in almost every resort around the Cabo area. ( And I have stayed in many places in Cabo ) So , overlooking this fact , I would say I had a very comfortable stay in a good location ( it is not near Cabo San Lucas, but closer to San Jose Del Cabo )

It is a pretty relaxing and mellow area and I actually recommend it over downtown Cabo , unless you are in the party scene. There is plenty to do around the Grand Mayan, you can stay on-site for relaxation and good food or venture out to a host of good places in and around San Jose Del Cabo and the streets are so safe and beautifully landscaped.
You can really walk anywhere , it may take awhile , but why not enjoy the great views in all directions and soak up the sunshine? It is definitely an area you would not mind living in , all year round.

The following staff deserve to be mentioned for their courtesy and professionalism =
Karla , Joshua , Juan Carlos , David , Daniel , Oscar , Edgar. Each one of these people went out of their way to help me in one way or another. They are exemplary staff and display the best of what Mexican hospitailty has to offer.

As well, Gabriela was an outstanding housekeeper for the room and a really nice lady.
The room , while having a bed that is perhaps a little too rigid for my preference , was large and well-furnished. Gabriela did a fantastic job. They also have turndown service at night.

And the bonus was the whirlpool / jacuzzi in the bathroom. Few places offer this , unless you are in a very high-end property , ie : The One and Only Palmilla. I was impressed with the bathroom layout , the spacious shower and the amenities.

While the junior studio suites do not offer a kitchenette facility , I felt the other positives made up for it , and I just ate out for my meals without a problem.

As a final note to this review: I have to mention the fact that I encountered difficulty with the OPC's in Cabo San Lucas. An OPC is a resort marketing representative who works on the street to lure potential new timeshare customers to presentations/sales pitches in exchange for some gift. They are usually associated with a specific resort and , while I dod not have a problem with any OPC who worked for Grand Mayan, I did get harassed quite seriously by other OPC's that were aggressive and rude. One gentleman actually made some threatening remarks to me , when I declined his offers and I have never had that happen before. I won't mention the details , but I did turn in a report to the Grand Mayan about it, and they said they would follow up on it , even though it was not their employee.

This experience made me think twice about returning to Cabo because , as mentioned earlier, I have never had this happen , and expect to be treated with respect as a tourist. I would like to feel safe and I actually was quite apprehensive about this encounter and , yes , it did diminish my vacation experience. I am not responsible for helping anyone make their numbers that are in the timeshare business and will not feel the least bit guilty about turning them away , as they often try to make you feel.

I think it is time the City Officials became aware of the negative impact to tourism that the aggressive OPC's create and take some action to mitigate the harsh reality of this ongoing problem.

I recommend the Grand Mayan and give the place a complete thumbs-up rating.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank travelingwilbury2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Monterey, California
Reviewed December 3, 2010

12-3-10...If you like a great room and lovely grounds to look at, this is your spot. If onthe other hand you like to swim go somewhere else. They told all of us that the heaters were broken and every single guest was upset. As it turns out we made friends with one of the managers and theyshared that it was just too expensive to heat the pools. Ok, so we decided to go to the beach and learned that it was not a swimming beach due to undergoes and bad currents. Ok, so beingthe eternal optimists we decided tostay in shape and just walk the beach. The horse riding place is right next door and they do their beach rides for the tourists on the beach andthe horses go where they need to go and SO many people walking the beach ended up with horse poop in their toes. Yuck... The rooms are pretty and the staff is very nice. The constant timeshare stuff all around you 24/7 gets a bit much. Highlight of thetrip? Dinner on our last night last night at habanero.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank joyjoyjacobs
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We visited the GM on a sales presentation deal. We have attended many in the tourist corridor over the years. This one started in the usual and cordual manner with small talk and then a good meal. The lead lady was always very nice but the course of being passed off to others get very ugly. At one point after more than twice the amount of time that the presentation was supposed to take I asked quite loudly to be allowed to leave. The person with us at that time was quite a thug in character and said that if I didn't settle down he was going to bring in security. I stood up and said to the room full of other groups of frustrated people that they probably all wanted to leave as bad as we did. With that the entire room nodded agreement and stood up in support. The management at that point had no choice but to have us all escorted out. Promised gifts were severely cut back. The round of golf that had been promised, I was told had to be used at that very moment or not at all, etc. We felt lucky to get out with our lives, quite seriously it was a very threatening experience. Beware!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank hostagetwo
Portland Oregon
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo with another couple in a two bedroom unit. The rooms are very large and appropriately furnished except for the kitchen which was a bit sparse since we do a lot of our own cooking (gluten intolerance). We mostly read and relaxed around the wonderful pool system. Like all the Grand Mayans, the resort was very well maintained with outstanding staff. We especially liked the spa, and they have a wonderful fitness center we should have used more!
We either walked into San Jose (15-20 min, walk, layed back atmosphere) or used the local bus system. Shopped at the nearby Mega Market and took a taxi ($5) with groceries back to the resort. Took the express bus one day into Cabo San Lucas for sight seeing (too busy for us) and a sunset cruise (Cabo Escape). Beautiful scenery (famous arch rock, etc) and sunset, food was OK, but too many 60 plus people dancing like they were 21! Also went tuna/dorado fishing one day in a small 22 ft. Panga - had a fantastic time and brought fish home with us.
Although we are Grand Mayan owners, we have never been able to book Cabo through the Mayan system as we can only make reservations 6 months in advance. I'm sure if we bought an additional package, we could reserve 12 months out - they always have something new to sell you! We booked a week at Neuvo Vallarta and traded it through San Francisco Exchange for Cabo. Did the typical owners update (i.e., timeshare presentation) and they offered a lot of things that we were not interested in.
Overall it was a great experience, but we prefer the Grand Mayan at Neuvo Vallarta as it has a lot more to offer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sodman
phoenix
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Mayan Palace pressure to "buy what they haven't yet built" is alive and being touted as "owneship and equity". These two words should not be used int he same sentence when referring to Mexico!!! They hard sell, manipulate with guilt or intimidate you with "their math that makes so much sense" it is sickening after 3 hours. What they say can be held in the saying that others have labeled as "The Lying Palace". Don't buy into this crap that the developer is the greatest guy on the planet and that the company is debt free. They will tell you anything to make a sale. I know, I own one of these. Aside from that the property is sweet, the beach is excellent, and a short 10-15 minute walk to town and the Mega Mart. Go get groceries!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank travelingjukebox
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Resort is fabulous. Staff are excellent. Town of San Jose is more "Mexico" than Cabo which made for a more pleasant trip. Definitely, a more laid back setting for those who don't find getting drunk every night to be fun (which you can do at home for a lot less money). Habanero's is great for dinner and breakfast. And the french bakery is wonderful - a great breakfast too. Kind of disappointed by the Tropicana but the ceviche was fantastic.

If you shop at the Mega, be prepared for being approached for all kinds of sales. The wristband is, of course, a dead giveaway that you are staying at the Mayan.

The one negative - the timeshare presentation. The November 1 reviewer's experience was 100% accurate. They will lie to you and play all the silly games to make you feel like "best of friends." Ask to take the contract to read over night and watch them scurry like rats. Why anyone would spend that kind of money on the spur of the moment is beyond me... it should involve some thoughtful consideration.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank alwaystryan
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I just got home last night from a week at the Grand Mayan. It was very nice. I had a one bedroom unit with a kitchen, large soaking tub, big balcony overlooking the pool area with a glimpse of the sea. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool activity staff was great fun, Erika and Juan. Even if you didn’t participate in the physical activities they were fun to watch. One day we were taught how to make ceviche and another day we made Caipirinhas (a Brazilian cocktail).

I ate dinner twice at the onsite restaurant Peri Q. The first night I had braised short ribs with enough leftover for a full dinner the next night. The second time I had sea bass. Both were perfectly prepared. Breakfast at the Grand Café was OK and definitely overpriced.

What I didn’t like was that all food and beverage bills had a 15% “service/tip” added on. I usually tip more than 15% but I would rather the tip be totally in control. I did order room service one night and I added an additional tip but in cash so hopefully the delivery guy got it.

I have never stayed at a timeshare that told was so explicit about informing you you must clean the kitchen before checking out or you would be charged a fee.

I took my iPad but could not get internet access for the week. They said that no guest has ever been able to connect to their wifi with an iPad because the iPad antenna was too weak. In my opinion the lack of connectivity because they have no distributed wifi access points. It’s a pretty spread out resort.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo