“Nice place - don't bring young children”

The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Westwood, CA
“Nice place - don't bring young children”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

I travel to Cabo San Lucas every summer with my family - we always stay at different hotels. This year we traveled to the Grand Mayan for the Fourth of July week. My first impressions of the hotel were WOW this place is nice and it is. It’s not a massive resort which is nice - there were always chairs by the pool. This place is not the place for people traveling with young children as there is no kids club. They say they have “children’s activities” but I didn’t see any. My other complaint was the SERVICE. Let me give you an example: We ordered lunch by the pool, it took forever to arrive and when it did arrive the server just left it on a pool chair - didn’t bring a little table to place the food on and did not leave utensils. I also didn’t like the fact that they tack on an 18% gratuity to all meals. There was also an incident in our room. During the night a hose sprung a leak and flooded my room, the living room and part of my sister’s room. I had no idea until the hotel staff came knocking at our door at 5:30 a.m. When I woke up I was ankle deep in water. We had two small children (ages 4 and 5) with us and they moved us to a different room while they cleaned up. At no time did the hotel management/staff or anyone come back to see if any of our belongings were damaged. Some of our clothing did get wet and dirty but there was no one around to help or offer any help. We were promised breakfast but there was no follow-through and we never got the breakfast promised. On the plus side, the resort is clean, clean, clean and the cleaning ladies were lovely. I would recommend this place to my single friends but would I stay here again? Probably not. The service has got to improve and there has to be follow through with your guests it’s the DETAILS that bring people back. The fact that there is not a Kid’s Club is also not good. On the plus side, the pools are beautiful and the view from the bedrooms are amazing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Our large family with 5 adults and two young children (aged 4 and 5) stayed at the Grand Mayan for a week in late June 2009. The resort is beautiful and the rooms were spacious. We had two Grand Mayan Suites with two bedrooms each. It was almost too much space!

The Grand Mayan offered to pick us up at the airport (complimentary) via Transcabo, perhaps because of our large party. My Dad almost fell victim to the timeshare sharks at the airport -- a few insisted they were our transport, but I forced the entire group out of the airport and found our driver.

My parents were in the timeshare presentation for about 90 minutes -- one of the salesmen was rude and got personal with some name calling, but they gave us deeply discounted golf at their 9-hole course and 10% off our final hotel room bill. It was a great deal because not only the meals charged to the room were discounted, but also the activities we charged to the room (snorkeling.)

We walked to the Mega for supplies, but it was a bit hot. I would recommend the $5 cab ride. Taxis are plentiful both at the resort and also at the Mega for the return trip. Taxis are also easy to get to San Jose del Cabo, but the little kids had a tough time walking around town in the June heat. We ate several meals at the resort and the food was pretty good. Room service was disappointing, but we enjoyed lunch each day poolside. The portions are large and you can definitely share.

Unfortunately, we discovered the Grand Mayan has a doctor on-site -- I fell in town during the trip and was unable to put weight on my foot. The doctor as nice, spoke perfect English and helped transport me to a local clinic for an x-ray. I ended up spending the rest of the trip in a splint, but the staff was great, finding me a wheelchair so I could relax by the pool without my crutches.

If you are planning a ton of activities in Cabo San Lucas, this hotel is a tough place to be. However, if you are looking for a relaxing and beautiful resort with easy access to a small, charming town, this is the place for you.

2 Thank Cori5280
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

My family loved their stay here. The rooms were spacious, current in decor, clean and comfortable. Large pools allowed for ample room to play in the pool or find a spot to relax. Staff was very helpful and cleaned rooms daily with turn down service in evening. Mega mart closeby to stock kitchen. $5 cab fare to mega mart (can be walked), $35 to Cabo San Lucas (each way). Consider rental car. $5 to San Jose del Cabo. Food pricey. Not many activities at resort for kids (teenagers would probably get bored) my guys were 10,11 and 12 and stayed busy swimming with outings every other day. Most enjoyment taking a boat to the arch ($40) and 4x4 Safari. We did moonlight dinner with show, spent over $410.00 USD food excellent but show was marginal at best. Waves intense so no swimming at beach which was actually good, the kids knew it was to dangerous to get in the water and the crashing wave sounds were extremely soothing heard in the rooms. The 2.5 hour jet ski/snorkeling tour was also fantastic but a bit pricey. Most activities will pick you up at hotel. We would all (8 of us) recommend the Grand Mayan. GREAT SPA PERSONNEL, had wrap, facial, massage all great.

1 Thank solnordal
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

The new facility is in great shape, but scaled down from all other Grand Mayans. The rooms are the same, with golf across the street, but it's no PV or Acapulco.

We beach hunted and explored Cabo, and spent 90% of our time away from the hotel.

Some facts:
Parking is 200 Pesos for the week (recommend renting a car if you are going to explore)
Wireless Internet is $55 for the week
The owners tour, including breakfast, ran 100 mins.
They are selling Grand Bliss, and new offering even further away from Cabo, which will be cloned at PV and Cancun.
No water slide for the kids
Pool activities while we were there are minimal, because people go elsewhere to do stuff.

Employees are nice, just the scale is some what smaller than you expect.

maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

The Grand Mayan Los Cabos is a beautiful resort in a wonderful location. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite with a partial kitchen and two baths. The suite was very nice (but not luxurious), well equipped, and extremely large. Both bedrooms had a king sized bed with very (too) firm mattresses and pillows, and a sofa bed only long enough for a child. The baths had whirlpool tubs, separate showers, and two sinks. The living room had 2 sofa beds (longer), each with a trundle. The balcony was huge and had two sitting chairs, two lounge chairs, and a very cold soaking tub that we didn't use. The view varies greatly depending upon location of the suite -- we had a marginal view on the second floor; first floor units had virtually no view. Third floor views were pretty good, and above that views were spectacular! I was told by the front desk that only Grand Mayan owners are given rooms above the third floor.

The housekeeping staff makes up the room twice a day, and if guests are using the sofabeds, the staff will make them up in the evening. They don't do the dishes, which seems a little strange given the length of time they spend in the units twice a day.

The pool area is luxiorious and the highlight of the resort. The pools are massive and attractive. The loungers were plentiful and covered with comfortable pads. The queen-sized canopy beds in the pool area were also numerous and impressive. While it was necessary to go to the pool early if you wanted to use the chairs closest to the beach, there were always chairs and beds available in other locations. As noted in previous reviews, the pools do not appear to be heated. Since we visited in late April, and live in New England, the water was fine for us, but I would not visit the resort in winter.

The wait staff around the pool was attentive and extremely friendly. Drinks were typical of that type of resort -- about $7 plus tip for a frozen drink, with 2 for 1 from 2-4 pm. Contrary to previous reports, food at the poolside restaurant was not expensive. Huge cheeseburgers with fries (enough for 2 people) were less than $9.

There are inexpensive massages and horseback riding nearby on the beach. The "travel agent" at the resort booked sailing tours in Cabo San Lucas, wave runners down the beach, and ATV tours in the desert. There are many free activities in or near the pool organized by the very friendly staff (water volleyball, yoga, ping ping, bartending, bingo, etc...). Our teenagers had fun, although I think the resort should have had some teen evening activity so all those teens staying at the resort could meet one another.

Having previously stayed in Cabo San Lucas and on the Corridor, we really enjoyed staying in San Jose del Cabo. It was an easy walk to the Mega each morning, or into town. I don't recommend the walk from town after dark because the sidewalk is dark in places and so difficult to see the very uneven pavement. Taxis are plentiful and cheap -- fares varied tremendously so we always established a price before getting in, but paid $5 or less way. Fares to Cabo San Lucas are around $35, although there's also an inexpensive public bus we didn't use.

For restaurants, we loved Zippers (on the beach a mile or two west), and Baja Brewery and El Comal in San Jose. All were very reasonably priced. In Cabo San Lucas, I love Margaritavilla for great views of the marina while drinking the best Margarita I've ever had. (You might want to share -- it's huge and potent).

Make sure to go to the pool area at night, at least once. The lighted pools are spectacular, and there are firepits to sit around while listing to the surf,

Be aware that the "concierge" you must meet with after check-in to receive your required bracelet is informative and friendly at first, but is really there to sign you up for a timeshare tour. We said "no" politely but firmly, at first, but it really became unpleasant because she would not take "no" for an answer. In order for her to back off, we had to be almost rude to her. After that, we were never contacted again -- which is what we wanted.

All in all, a wonderful resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank julieame
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

My husband, 16 year old son and I just got back from Los Cabos, Mexico. Not only was this our first excersion out of the country, but also our first family vacation. We used points from our RCI Timeshare to stay at The Grand Mayan Resort. We had a 1 bedroom suite, including a kitchen, with a beautiful view of the ocean and pools. The rooms and grounds were impecable, the food was tastey,and the waiters were attentive, but the front desk staff had a lot to learn about the hospitality business. We unfortunately got sucked in by what we later learned was the "Mayan Mafia". They are salesmen who invite you to breakfast and presentation and In return, they provide you with discounts on tours and food at the resort along with 3000 pesos to use at the resort about ($214 USD), The presentation was only supposed to take 90 minutes and there were no obligations: No meant No. Not so!!!!! The salesmen are sharks that tag team you trying to sell you expensive property that no one can afford with the economy the way it is. We thought we were being blatantly rude, but apparently not because these guys do not give up. We only did this to help offset the cost of the adventures we wanted to try. It was not worth the time and hassle for the money we saved. We were approached 5 times in 6 days for these incentive breakfasts for various real estate throughout the Los Cabos area.
We did the ATV tour through the mountains that lasted about 2 hours. Our guide's name was Eduardo and he was great. One day we went on the Cabo Adventure. What a blast!! We would highly recommend it to everyone.Very safe and what a way to see the mountains. The best money spent on the whole trip was the CD of the family's pictures on that tour. Cameras are not allowed for safety reasons. A professional photographer hangs from lines to capture shots of a lifetime. A true professional. The guides made it fun and exhilerating..Well worth it.!!
The actual towns of Cabo San Lucas and Cabo San Jose are beautiful. Each were filled with lots of t-shirts, souvinirs, jewelry tequila, and scams. I love how the jewelry stores leave the opened bottle of tequila on the counters with shot glasses for you to help yourself to a nice buzz while shopping. Ladies, it really does work with the husbands. Surprisingly, Cabo San Lucus is cheaper to shop in than Cabo San Jose. They all have the same merchandise and you must barter with the locals.
Be careful of the locals taking advantage of you. After going through customs at the airport, we were greeted by a line of men who we thought were taxi drivers. Wrong!! These guys are the vultures wanting to take you to breakfast and take your last dime. Do not fall for it! We learned the expensive way. Apparently, this is big. In talking with people who frequently visit Mexico, all the airports have these salesmen waiting to pounce.
We met some really nice tourists while there. One couple in particular made a lasting impression on us. By the end of the week, we felt like we had known these people all our lives. They were great company and gave us a lot of insight on how to do Mexico, because they are seasoned warrior Mexican travelers!
The trip was costly, but priceless. I don't have any regrets. I hope that whom ever reads this will learn from our mistakes. The country is beautiful and I learned how important it is to take time to relax and reconnect with family.

5 Thank caprdh
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

Just returned after one week at the Grand Mayan Los Cabos. Stayed in a studio room (Grand Master Room) which consisted of a king sized bed and sofa bed. The room and bathroom was spacious and comfortable. There is no coffee maker or fridge in these rooms. Our unit had an adjoining door to the one bedroom unit next door. The sound proofing was poor in that I could here the next door inhabitants washing their dishes, television sounds and conversations. Our doorway faced the street, so the traffic was audible in the room. The street noise was decreased when the air conditioner was on.

The housekeeping was immaculate and we had turn down service each evening with fresh towels, soaps, shampoos etc. Our room was on the sixth floor and in the central part of the facility, so the ocean views were amazing. The complex is u shaped with the central portion facing the street and a eastern arm facing an empty lot where horses are kept. The western arm faces the Cabo Azul which is currently under construction. The rooms are accessed via an outside corridor. The entry way of the Grand Mayan faces a cemetary.

Our check in was efficient and courteous. We were approached by telephone by a lady from the timeshare company the first morning we were there. She stated that she wanted to give us some brochures, maps of the areas and info on which taxis were safe to take. She then offered a timeshare tour, stating that it would take only 90 minutes, would include a free breakfast as well as a 10% discount on all room charges during the stay. I declined and was never asked again. I did see many people attend the timeshare tours each morning.

The facility is immaculately clean and the service is excellent (from housekeeping to the waiters at the restaurants). There is an abundance of cabanas and pool chairs throughout the pool area. I would estimate over 3 dozen cabanas. There are three large pools and several hot tubs. The water is cold in the morning but warm by mid afternoon. The hottubs are not heated until mid afternoon. The hot tubs closest to the activity desk and the pool bars are the two that are heated. There is a sign which discourages reserving pool chairs and cabanas, but I have seen families staking out their pool chairs and cabanas by 7 a.m. each morning. On two mornings, we were able to see a group of three to four whales in the Sea of Cortez from the pool area.

There is visible security personnel throughout the facility. Most notably at the beach access sites. This is to discourage visitors from other hotels from entering the Grand Mayan. Numerous vendors stand in the beach area outside of the hotel. They do not approach the hotel. The hotel patrons would venture out to the vendors to make their purchases. The beach area is lovely, but certainly not swimmable. The activities center has sand buckets and shovels the children can borrow and to take down to the beach area. There are two ping pong tables in the pool area, along with water volleyball nets. There are numerous activities throughout the day at the activity center (bartending school, bingo, sudoku, yoga, name that tune). There is an arts and crafts cart where the children can paint ceramic crafts.

The hotel offers a meal plan (119USD for 6 breakfasts) (225 USD for 6 dinners or lunch). The Grand Cafe serves breakfast buffets each morning. The cost is 190 pesos before 830 am and 240 pesos after 830 am. You can order a la carte (95 to 190 pesos for a la carte items). The children's breakfasts were about 70 pesos. We found it more economical to order the a la carte items. The coffee and pastry baskets were often not charged on our bill. We were often brought complimentary juices each morning. The lunch is served poolside at the Peri Q. The servings are large so a Club sandwich (115 pesos) could certainly be enough for two. There is also a kids menu for lunch and dinner with items ranging from 60 to 90 pesos. There are 3 buffet nights - Wednesday nights at 340 pesos served poolside with live entertainment, Friday nights at 290 pesos (Fajita and Barbecue), Monday nights at 290 pesos (Italian night). We did venture out to check out the numerous restaurants mentioned on the trip advisor websites. But the cleanliness of the streets and town center in San Jose del Cabo changed our minds about eating in town. We instead chose to order items from the private dining menu for in room dining instead. There is a 15% tip applied to all meals and drinks charged to your room.

The bellboy advised us that it was safe to use the ice cubes from the ice machine on each floor. He suggested not consuming any tap water.

You can sign up for WiFi internet service for 650 pesos per week. The reception is poor in the rooms. The lobby appears to be the only area where the WiFi reception is consistent.

The Grand Mayn is approximately 20 minutes away from the San Jose del Cabo airport. It is a 20 minute walk to the Mega market (a mexican walmart) and a 30 minute walk to the town center of San Jose del Cabo. When walking to Mega market, I would suggest walking on the north side of the street. There are several street booths occupied by aggressive and persistent time share vendors. The walk to the town center of San Jose del Cabo is approximately 30 mintues. The sidewalks are very uneven, so I would not recommend this walk in the evenings.

Took the local bus to Cabos San Lucas for 250 pesos each way. The taxi fare is 35USD one way. The bus stop is on the highway across from Mega Market. There is no bus stop sign. We stood opposite the McDonald's entrance on the west side of the highway and waved as the bus approached. The bus takes you to the Parasio Mall in Cabo San Lucas. You would catch the return home bus from this location as well.

Overall, had no issues with safety or feeling unsafe at anytime in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family